Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Dentistry: General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I want to know too
Not that we have heard of here at MSO. It’s possible they just account for any difference in three years time with graduate entry students, but we also only get a very small amount of input from potential USyd students, so it’s possible top ups happen but just not in the kind of numbers that would mean it makes it to MSO. (This is also relevant for the MD).

Last edited:

Random567

Could someone explain the best way to prepare for the USYD dentistry interview? Especially for the written assessment section? is the written assessment more important/ difficult compared to the group panel interview?

Could someone explain the best way to prepare for the USYD dentistry interview? Especially for the written assessment section? is the written assessment more important/ difficult compared to the group panel interview?
Hi Whats the written assessment?

Bruce1973

I am posting this on behalf of my son.
His ATAR - 99.75 - he is applying for the Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Dental Medicine. We are from QLD. Just wonder whether any assessment is required before receiving an offer. I read some threads, that some NSW students have received DMD offers. Is the interstate student has to wait till 12/Jan UAC offer ?

Thanks

MystK

I am posting this on behalf of my son.
His ATAR - 99.75 - he is applying for the Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Dental Medicine. We are from QLD. Just wonder whether any assessment is required before receiving an offer. I read some threads, that some NSW students have received DMD offers. Is the interstate student has to wait till 12/Jan UAC offer ?

Thanks

He needs to attend an interview and complete a written assessment at the interview.

Bruce1973

He needs to attend an interview and complete a written assessment at the interview.
Thanks for your reply. I just went to the USyd website that QLD has missed the first-round assessment round as the QTAC only released the ATAR on 16/Dec/22. Could you share more information about the written assessment? Is it something similar to JCU written application? How about the interview - assuming this is a panel type of interview via Zoom?
Appreciate for your help.

Quoi

Thanks for your reply. I just went to the USyd website that QLD has missed the first-round assessment round as the QTAC only released the ATAR on 16/Dec/22. Could you share more information about the written assessment? Is it something similar to JCU written application? How about the interview - assuming this is a panel type of interview via Zoom?
Appreciate for your help.
Written assessment has approx. 3 questions where they may ask you to imagine yourself in varying scenarios as a dentist. Interview is more like a moderated group discussion, interviewer will ask a question and then everyone in the group will take turns speaking (everyone will get a chance to talk, some more than once per question however apparently the amount of times you talk will not impact your performance).

Hi everyone!
I am in year 12 right now and looking to do the Bsci/DMD course at usyd in the jan 2024 intake. I just noticed that the assessment day is on december 15 and I will have to attend in person since I am a NSW school student. However, my sister's getting married in india in december 2023 so I have already booked flight tickets which mean I wont be in syd on december 15. Does anyone know if there's any way to work around this. Money is already tight in my family right now so I'm not sure what I should do.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone!
I am in year 12 right now and looking to do the Bsci/DMD course at usyd in the jan 2024 intake. I just noticed that the assessment day is on december 15 and I will have to attend in person since I am a NSW school student. However, my sister's getting married in india in december 2023 so I have already booked flight tickets which mean I wont be in syd on december 15. Does anyone know if there's any way to work around this. Money is already tight in my family right now so I'm not sure what I should do.
If they do teams/zoom interviews for non-NSW based students you may be able to request inclusion in that?

But if it’s all face to face then I’d imagine you’d be out of luck as I think the sessions are small group rather than individual.

If you end up with an ATAR that makes you eligible (or look to be heading that way), it’d be worth contacting them to see what your options are.

If they do teams/zoom interviews for non-NSW based students you may be able to request inclusion in that?

But if it’s all face to face then I’d imagine you’d be out of luck as I think the sessions are small group rather than individual.

If you end up with an ATAR that makes you eligible (or look to be heading that way), it’d be worth contacting them to see what your options are.
I was contemplating contacting them sometime in august because the website says the mode of the interview (in person or online) is non-negotiable but perhaps if I contact them a few months earlier it would be received better? Not sure if this would be a bad idea or not...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I was contemplating contacting them sometime in august because the website says the mode of the interview (in person or online) is non-negotiable but perhaps if I contact them a few months earlier it would be received better? Not sure if this would be a bad idea or not...
I would definitely contact them.
If you absolutely can’t do it face to face then you literally have nothing to lose but the possibility of a saving grace to gain…

myotherac

Can someone give me a rough idea of the number of places for the provisional USyd Dent degree (BSc DMD) and the number of people interviewed?

My 99.35 isn't enough for the Dec 15, 2023 interview round but I'm a repeating student and hoping to make it to the Jan 18, 2024 interviews.

Thanks.

2xq

Allied Health Member
Can someone give me a rough idea of the number of places for the provisional USyd Dent degree (BSc DMD) and the number of people interviewed?

My 99.35 isn't enough for the Dec 15, 2023 interview round but I'm a repeating student and hoping to make it to the Jan 18, 2024 interviews.

Thanks.
That timeframe doesn't work. Dec 23 to Jan 24 isn't correct.
+
99.35 isn't enough. You need to increase this if you're repeating to above 99.7+

myotherac

That timeframe doesn't work. Dec 23 to Jan 24 isn't correct.
+
99.35 isn't enough. You need to increase this if you're repeating to above 99.7+
I did IB in 2022. My IBAS was 43.75 which was 99.55 for 2023 intake but is now 99.35 this year due to a new conversion table.

I retook a subject this year and hope to increase my IBAS to 44.75 which would be 99.75.

I find out on Jan 3, 2024 at the same time as all the IB students. This would make it in time for the Jan 18, 2024 interviews.

Reactions: 2xq

2xq

Allied Health Member
I did IB in 2022. My IBAS was 43.75 which was 99.55 for 2023 intake but is now 99.35 this year due to a new conversion table.

I retook a subject this year and hope to increase my IBAS to 44.75 which would be 99.75.

I find out on Jan 3, 2024 at the same time as all the IB students. This would make it in time for the Jan 18, 2024 interviews.
Ahh yeah in that case, if you have not started tertiary education, you should receive an assessment day invite later on.