Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USYD Dentistry

haka10

Hey everyone,

I am a Sydney local and have been all my life, I am interested greatly in pursuing a career in Dentistry. However, moving away from home interstate would be hard money wise and also other contributing factors.
I know there is a post-graduate course in Sydney but how many people do really get accepted?
What is the best pathway to this course? Im worried if i wouldn't make the cut...
Opinions would be great, thank you

frootloop

House Surgeon
I know nothing, but I'll refer you to [MENTION=6084]Hutcherson[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5617]miss_universe[/MENTION] , who will probably be able to answer that when they come online :)

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey everyone,

I am a Sydney local and have been all my life, I am interested greatly in pursuing a career in Dentistry. However, moving away from home interstate would be hard money wise and also other contributing factors.
I know there is a post-graduate course in Sydney but how many people do really get accepted?
What is the best pathway to this course? Im worried if i wouldn't make the cut...

If you don't want to move interstate, then USYD & CSU are the only dentistry schools you can apply for in NSW. Ensure you meet the requirements for both universities to be considered as an applicant. You can only apply to USYD if you have completed an undergraduate degree, sat GAMSAT and been accepted for an interview.

haka10

Is getting into Post graduate a lot harder?
Would a health science degree be the best option as a undergraduate degree?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I suggest to do a undergraduate degree that you would enjoy and get good marks in. Some people find post grad entry harder while others find it easier. Depends on the person.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I suggest to do a undergraduate degree that you would enjoy and get good marks in. Some people find post grad entry harder while others find it easier. Depends on the person.

I agree with this and also you might want to consider applying for undergrad as well just in case. It is good to have options.

Edmund

Hey everyone,

From their website,

For the 2012 admission of students, the number of CSP ie Commonwealth Supported places will be similar to previous years (60 places). In addition, a small number of local fee-paying students will be offered (pending University approval). There will be approximately 15-25 international fee-paying places available for new students in 2012.

Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) - Faculty of Dentistry - The University of Sydney

Interviews are offered based on GAMSAT scores. There is also a GPA hurdle requirement that you have to meet. The cut-off for an interview this year was a GAMSAT of 60. GAMSAT and interview scores are equally weighted, and those with a lower GAMSAT score will need an excellent performance in the interview to stand a chance.

There is no set pathway towards post-graduate dentistry but I think it says somewhere in the link above that you need a Biology prerequisite for next years intake.

Edit: Just realised this thread was a few months old, hope this helps someone who is interested...

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads