Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Dentistry: General Discussion

nourz

nourz - USYD releases an admissions guide each year - strongly recommend you read it as I know people have been caught out in the past because they didn’t attach certain documents that were required by the deadline.
Yes thankyou it just got released I will read that

Another question, it says on the admission guide for dent at USYD that "Applicants who have not completed or will not complete an eligible bachelor’s degree by 1 January 2020 (regardless of whether they have completed/will complete a postgraduate coursework diploma or degree, or have been awarded/will be awarded a postgraduate research degree by 1 January 2020) are ineligible to apply." Although I am completely course completed I did do a summer unit that finished approx 10 Jan 2020, does this mean that I am ineligible to apply?!? Surely not right

By the way my academic records show my successful course completion by 2019*

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Another question, it says on the admission guide for dent at USYD that "Applicants who have not completed or will not complete an eligible bachelor’s degree by 1 January 2020 (regardless of whether they have completed/will complete a postgraduate coursework diploma or degree, or have been awarded/will be awarded a postgraduate research degree by 1 January 2020) are ineligible to apply." Although I am completely course completed I did do a summer unit that finished approx 10 Jan 2020, does this mean that I am ineligible to apply?!? Surely not right
Sounds like somebody forgot to change the year when they copied and pasted the admissions guide from last year (assuming you are indeed looking at the 2021 entry guide, and not the 2020 entry guide).

nourz

Sounds like somebody forgot to change the year when they copied and pasted the admissions guide from last year (assuming you are indeed looking at the 2021 entry guide, and not the 2020 entry guide).
Omg my bad, I was looking at the 2020 entry guide, they still haven't released the 2021 guide- I just asked them they said 'You must complete your bachelor’s degree by 1 January of the year in which you intend to commence the MD.' aka 2021, so I am all good then, phew!

nourz

Hi guys hoping someone can help me here pleasee. I know USYD looks at unweighted gamsat, but do they only look at your overall score? For instance if you get below 50 for a section, but still get a high overall score does this still make you applicable? Hope this makes sense!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys hoping someone can help me here pleasee. I know USYD looks at unweighted gamsat, but do they only look at your overall score? For instance if you get below 50 for a section, but still get a high overall score does this still make you applicable? Hope this makes sense!!

this is literally the first paragraph that came up when I just googled “USyd GAMSAT requirements”: “Applicants (except Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants) must have achieved a minimum score of 50 in each section of the GAMSAT to be eligible for admission.“

nourz

Does anyone know if you can send USYD different gamsat results (March 2019) for your application, despite giving them this gamsat's ID?? Please let me knowww

nourz

Have you contacted USyd?
Yes they said even they dont know and i should email admissions which I have, except I'm worried because the deadline is very soon and I doubt they will respond by then so I really don't know what to do..

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes they said even they dont know and i should email admissions which I have, except I'm worried because the deadline is very soon and I doubt they will respond by then so I really don't know what to do..

If you've contacted them, and in that contact have provided your updated GAMSAT details, then you've provided the information prior to the deadline. So either you're fine and they'll update the details when they can, or they won't accept it anyway, regardless of when you send it, which absolutely sucks, but there is nothing you can do about now. You can really only wait to hear from admissions. Best of luck for a favourable outcome!!

Last edited:

nourz

I didn't send them my gamsat details, only sent them a question so I haven't sent any gamsat details as of yet. The guy on the phone did say though that due to covid unis are allowing people to use different gamsat results, but he has no idea. What do you think I should do? Should I just send them my previous gamsat results hoping that they will accept it? Or run the risk that they won't and I wont have anything? I think the former should be okay surely

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I didn't send them my gamsat details, only sent them a question so I haven't sent any gamsat details as of yet. The guy on the phone did say though that due to covid unis are allowing people to use different gamsat results, but he has no idea. What do you think I should do? Should I just send them my previous gamsat results hoping that they will accept it? Or run the risk that they won't and I wont have anything? I think the former should be okay surely

Given there is a deadline as you mentioned, I'd be definitely sending the updated/accurate details through, regardless of whether they've asked for them or not at this stage. You could just preamble it with something like, "I am still awaiting an answer re. the possibility of updating my current dentistry application... but given the deadline is approaching, I just wanted to provide the correct GAMSAT information in the hope that it can be added to my existing application" and then give them the details. Nothing to be lost from this, I wouldn't think. Good luck!

A1

Rookie Doc
Does anyone know if you can send USYD different gamsat results (March 2019) for your application, despite giving them this gamsat's ID?? Please let me knowww

I'm not sure if USyd does the same, the Gemsas schools say you can *choose* the GAMSAT result within the last 2 years that works best for your application. Did you get a different Gamsat ID for each sitting? If so then give them the best ID.

nourz

I'm not sure if USyd does the same, the Gemsas schools say you can *choose* the GAMSAT result within the last 2 years that works best for your application. Did you get a different Gamsat ID for each sitting? If so then give them the best ID.
Yes exactly the USYD admissions guide also says this that march 2019 results are applicable, the only thing Im worried about is the fact that I've written this june's gamsat ID on my application whereas I'll be giving different results, and yes they all have different IDs

A1

Rookie Doc
I have but they only recommended to contact admissions, so I won't know the answer until deadline is over I guess

We always recommend to talk directly to Med Admissions to be specific, not the uni or General Admissions for school leavers. In your case I suggest you submit the records for both Gamsat results to meet the deadline, then follow up with an official amend of the application later.

USyd has probably the best interview/place offer ratio of all the school-leaver pathways, with roughly 2/3 of interviewees receiving an offer.
Does anyone know the odds for USyd Dent? I'd imagine there are similar numbers of places but more applicants because of the lower ATAR threshold (though 99.60 is still quite high).

So I was reading about the interview style at USyd Dent, where its like a group panel discussion following a written assessment. How is this going to work online?

Cal

vibe
Does anyone know the odds for USyd Dent? I'd imagine there are similar numbers of places but more applicants because of the lower ATAR threshold (though 99.60 is still quite high).

So I was reading about the interview style at USyd Dent, where its like a group panel discussion following a written assessment. How is this going to work online?
Although I don't have exact numbers, I would assume the ratio would be similar, maybe 1/2 pass rate (slightly lower), just because the number of people who want to do dentistry is significantly lower than medicine in general.

For your second question, those are both things which can easily occur online, so I would assume the only change would be that they hold the group discussion on Zoom or some other communication platform; and the written component will probably be a timed exercise where you are given a prompt and have to email/submit before a given time. So I wouldn't worry about drastic changes.

avn

hi guys.
I'm in year 12 & considering psychology as a backup career. I'm pretty clueless so I have a few questions:
1) Does anyone know if it would be possible to enter postgrad dent at usyd after 3rd year (leaving before honours year)?
2) How does one satisfy the biology prerequisite given this degree doesn't have embedded biology units?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hi guys.
I'm in year 12 & considering psychology as a backup career. I'm pretty clueless so I have a few questions:
1) Does anyone know if it would be possible to enter postgrad dent at usyd after 3rd year (leaving before honours year)?
2) How does one satisfy the biology prerequisite given this degree doesn't have embedded biology units?
1. I think it depends on whether it’s an embedded or stand-alone honours. embedded makes it harder.
2. You would need to do the biology pre-requisites as elective subjects. It’s a good idea to speak to uni admissions/course advisors about the best way to do that at your uni.