Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Dentistry: General Discussion

kim777

Lurker
Hi everyone,

seeing that results are coming out in a few days I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the dentistry interview at usyd? I've seen somewhere that there's a written component, but that's about it. Does anyone know what's in the written response? Or anything about the interview itself?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Same question. Any one know if it's panel or MMI?
Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Dental Medicine
It’s a panel interview according to the website:
In addition, admission to this course requires the applicant to participate in an assessment process including a written assessment and a panel discussion. The results of this assessment will form part of the ranking of applicants.

ETA: Bachelor of Oral Health

Entry to the Bachelor of Oral Health requires an MMI, so I guess it depends on which course(s) are being referred to.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
It’s a panel interview according to the website:

It's a panel but more like a group discussion. Quotes from MD in the above linked thread
"It's more like a panel except you have a few other students in the same interview (about 5ish students). It feels a lot more relaxed than most other interviews".
"During the group interview, the interviewer doesn't say much, just guides a bit and asks the question, then usually everyone answers it- but sometimes there's one or two people who are a bit quieter and don't say much and don't answer, if you don't answer questions continuously the interviewer might prompt you. It's kinda like a discussion you just add onto it and try not to repeat what other people have said...."

1234med

I'd hate doing panel with other applicants. Sharing personal stories with 5 other students and the interviewers seems a bit daunting and confrontational. Guess I'll just have to suck it up.

meddenti

Hey guys, I have a buddy who went to this interview. He thought he did well but maybe not as well as the others. So, maybe there were different questions asked in the interview and written? Any info about the questions would be appreciated :)

nourz

Hi all,
I'm really interested in studying doctor of dental medicine at USYD, and I'll be looking to apply as a postgraduate this year. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows the GPA calculation method they use I just want to confirm if I meet the minimum 5 GPA for applying (my GPA is roughly 5.3) but I don't know should I be hopeful in applying? If I get a good GAMSAT score, what are my chances? Has anyone done this course with a not so great GPA? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated <3

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I would suggest checking out PagingDr, they have alot more graduate entry/gamsat information. Im sure your aware that the GAMSAT has been cancelled/postponed until further notice

nourz

I would suggest checking out PagingDr, they have alot more graduate entry/gamsat information. Im sure your aware that the GAMSAT has been cancelled/postponed until further notice
Yeah I know the GAMSAT cancellation is a bummer hopefully it will be rescheduled, but thanks I'll check out paging dr

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi all,
I'm really interested in studying doctor of dental medicine at USYD, and I'll be looking to apply as a postgraduate this year. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows the GPA calculation method they use I just want to confirm if I meet the minimum 5 GPA for applying (my GPA is roughly 5.3) but I don't know should I be hopeful in applying? If I get a good GAMSAT score, what are my chances? Has anyone done this course with a not so great GPA? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated <3

I have not looked specifically for USyd Dent. If it is similar to USyd Med then the GPA 5 is a hurdle. Interview selection is on GAMSAT score and offers are on combined Interview + GAMSAT with 2 : 1 or 50/50 ratio.

nourz

I have not looked specifically for USyd Dent. If it is similar to USyd Med then the GPA 5 is a hurdle. Interview selection is on GAMSAT score and offers are on combined Interview + GAMSAT with 2 : 1 or 50/50 ratio.
I have a friend that got into USYD med with 5.3 GPA, so I'm hoping that a good gamsat can pull me through and its good that they use it as a hurdle. Thanks

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I have a friend that got into USYD med with 5.3 GPA, so I'm hoping that a good gamsat can pull me through and its good that they use it as a hurdle. Thanks

I can see someone non rural, non-ATSI, on PD with a 5.30 GPA and a 59 overall GAMSAT (~60%tile) so im not sure if the entry is like that or this person gave the best interview theyve ever seen

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
With no special considerations 59 GAMSAT wouldn't even get an interview. IIrc it's been around 66-67 cutoff.

Yeah must be an error

nourz

Hi guys, hope someone can help me, I just wanted to confirm that for applying to USYD as a postgrad for dent/med, I don't need any graduation documents i.e. testamur or AHEGS right? They just need my official record transcript is that correct? Or do they just contact my university for the relevant docs and I don't need to supply anything? Please let me know and thanks in advance!

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi guys, hope someone can help me, I just wanted to confirm that for applying to USYD as a postgrad for dent/med, I don't need any graduation documents i.e. testamur or AHEGS right? They just need my official record transcript is that correct? Or do they just contact my university for the relevant docs and I don't need to supply anything? Please let me know and thanks in advance!

USyd is not part of Gemsas, they run their own admission process and require a Qualification Assessment by UAC (google UAC QAS for info). I have not done one myself but I believe for this QAS you only need to provide UAC your uni student number(s).

nourz

USyd is not part of Gemsas, they run their own admission process and require a Qualification Assessment by UAC (google UAC QAS for info). I have not done one myself but I believe for this QAS you only need to provide UAC your uni student number(s).
Ok thankyou and do you know where we can find our student number?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
nourz - USYD releases an admissions guide each year - strongly recommend you read it as I know people have been caught out in the past because they didn’t attach certain documents that were required by the deadline.