USyd USyd Medicine: Undergraduate Major Options

Guillaume

Lurker
Hi,

I'm currently in my first year at USYD. I'm still not sure what Science major I'd like to do for Uni before I try get into med. Ideally, there wouldn't be much overlap if at all because I want to learn as much as possible and not have content repeated. So far, I'm enrolled as a Biochem/Molecular Bio major. Would this give me firm foundations for later on? It is possible to get a job with a BSci (BioChem)?

Thanks!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm currently in my first year at USYD. I'm still not sure what Science major I'd like to do for Uni before I try get into med. Ideally, there wouldn't be much overlap if at all because I want to learn as much as possible and not have content repeated. So far, I'm enrolled as a Biochem/Molecular Bio major. Would this give me firm foundations for later on? It is possible to get a job with a BSci (BioChem)?

Thanks!

Realistically you want to do something that you enjoy, and have no problem going above and beyond in order to get a competitive GPA aswell as something with good job prospects on the other side. Very few schools have prereqs, and of those that do they are only 2 or 3 courses.

From what ive heard, majors like Data Science, Computer Science, and Stats can lead to pretty good employment outcomes, but if you wont enjoy them dont pick it.

Guillaume

Lurker
Realistically you want to do something that you enjoy, and have no problem going above and beyond in order to get a competitive GPA aswell as something with good job prospects on the other side. Very few schools have prereqs, and of those that do they are only 2 or 3 courses.

From what ive heard, majors like Data Science, Computer Science, and Stats can lead to pretty good employment outcomes, but if you wont enjoy them dont pick it.

Yeah rn my second major is CS.

Science has always been my best subject but I feel like what I'm learning/have been learning is something that I could get out of a textbook. I feel like all I'm really gaining is knowledge, rather than the skill to do something new. I'm been thinking of changing to engineering despite having never done it before because that way, I can gain some skills that I wouldn't be able to learn easily on my own.

Does this make sense hahah, feels to me like I'm rambling.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I get you, I chose to do biomed as my undergrad science major and I feel the exact same thing. I'm swapping my major to CS next sem because i much rather the lateral thinking approach you see more common in maths, cs, and engineering over biomed. Although I'm in a more unique position as im accepted to UQ's provisional entry and dont have to focus as much on my GPA so i get the opportunity to explore a bit more.

Engineering isnt a bad choice either, it was my backup as its a combination lateral thinking and practical work. It also has very good employment outcomes at the end of it (upwards of about 100k as a 22 year old! - edit: in some cases, realistically ~80k), only issue is that its 4 years instead of 3 so its not as attractive as people eager to get into working as a doctor.

Last edited:

Crow

MD3 | Staff
Hi,

Thanks!
If you’re looking to get a job at the end of it, is there a particular reason you’re doing science at all? There are plenty of other vocational degree options that lend themselves to better employment outcomes.

I’m also confused as to what you actually want out of the degree - you want as little overlap as possible between your undergrad and med, but want “firm foundations”? These two desires sort of clash heads and I don’t think you can have one without the other.