Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd Usyd Provisional Entry MD Interview Information

faysapprentice

Hi all, with marks/atars coming out this thurs/fri, in antipation for a usyd interview I was just wondering what is it like?
Is it mmi or semi structured? Are there personal questions like UNSW or is it more on why do you want to do med/decision making/teamwork/leadership
Apparantly theres a written component? What sort of stuff is in that? I hope its not essay questions or something..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi all, with marks/atars coming out this thurs/fri, in antipation for a usyd interview I was just wondering what is it like?
Is it mmi or semi structured? Are there personal questions like UNSW or is it more on why do you want to do med/decision making/teamwork/leadership
Apparantly theres a written component? What sort of stuff is in that? I hope its not essay questions or something..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
It's more like a panel except you have a few other students in the same interview (about 5ish students). It feels a lot more relaxed than most other interviews- it's a bit of all types of questions you'll have the standard ones- but it feels quite different, kinda like a group chat thing. You do the written component first- its 30min and has a few questions and you have 1/2 to 1 page to answer them- they're not like essay topics, it's related to interview questions so similar stuff. And after that you have lunch and chat with the other people and you finish off with the group interview. They take you around the med school as well. It's quite an interesting concept. There'll be a few med students around and you'll be able to talk to them about what meds like at USyd and you'll meet a few staff members.

faysapprentice

Hey meddent, thanks for the reply
So during the group interview thing does everyone get a chance to talk for each question? or do they ask different questions to different people?
And with the written part, are you saying that its like regular interview questions but I just gotta write them on paper and not say them to the interviewer?

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey meddent, thanks for the reply
So during the group interview thing does everyone get a chance to talk for each question? or do they ask different questions to different people?
And with the written part, are you saying that its like regular interview questions but I just gotta write them on paper and not say them to the interviewer?
During the group interview, the interviewer doesn't say much, just guides a bit and asks the question, then usually everyone answers it- but sometimes there's one or two people who are a bit quieter and don't say much and don't answer, if you don't answer questions continuously the interviewer might prompt you. But yeah everyone gets the same question, it's kinda like a discussion you just add onto it and try not to repeat what other people have said. Try not to be last otherwise you mightn't have much to add, just take the initiative to speak up. Cos they don't really go like, person A what do you think.
Yeah! I think one of the written questions was about what you think are the two important traits of a doctor, and another question allowed you to talk about your personal experiences and how it relates to choosing medicine, and another was about how the undergrad science degree will help with the med degree- mostly similar to the oral interview, can integrate some of your answers into this written component.

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
What do u guys think is the success rate of getting chosen once you are invited for the interview?
Quite high- about >50%? 70 maybe? I just remember the odds being quite good/ better than most other unis for undergrad entry. Can't remember but I think they told us how many people get offers.

A1

Rookie Doc
What do u guys think is the success rate of getting chosen once you are invited for the interview?

I heard from several people who had siblings/friends in both camps, some say success rate is 2 in 3 some say 3 in 4. MD's 70% estimate is about right.

Mohini

I got a scholarship offer from them. The Chancellor's and I got an interview. I'm not a hundred percent sure what this means and what my chances are? I really want Usyd. My atar was 99.95

A1

Rookie Doc
I got a scholarship offer from them. The Chancellor's and I got an interview. I'm not a hundred percent sure what this means and what my chances are? I really want Usyd. My atar was 99.95

I'm pretty sure a scholarship offer and a Med place offer are two separate events. My situation last year with UTas was like that, got scholarship then no Med but would still receive the scholarship if I took up another course there.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

Your chances at the interview stage are about 2/3 - I think it's 45 interviews for 30 spots if I recall correctly.

Mana

Administrator
any sort of prep you guys would reccommend?

The same preparation as you would for any other medicine interview, which is covered in detail in the Interviews subforum on MSO.

umat_star

does anyone have a clue as to what would the written assessment include.......and are the interviewa anything specific (ethics/personal/situations)..?

Mana

Administrator
does anyone have a clue as to what would the written assessment include.......and are the interviewa anything specific (ethics/personal/situations)..?

I believe @MedDent101 has already covered this to some extent above.

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I think more personal/ med/ doc questions than scenario situations. A bit of teamwork questions I think. Don't rely on this tho- just prep for all questions! Can't remember exactly! Also, don't think they asked us anything about USyd med course specifically for my interview.

david88

I think more personal/ med/ doc questions than scenario situations. A bit of teamwork questions I think. Don't rely on this tho- just prep for all questions! Can't remember exactly! Also, don't think they asked us anything about USyd med course specifically for my interview.

MedDent would you be able to shed some more light on the written assessment? Still a bit confused with that - you mentioned above that we are given half/one page, does that mean the response to each question is quite short? What sort of questions are asked? What sort of quality of writing is required since English isn't exactly my strongest subject?

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
MedDent would you be able to shed some more light on the written assessment? Still a bit confused with that - you mentioned above that we are given half/one page, does that mean the response to each question is quite short? What sort of questions are asked? What sort of quality of writing is required since English isn't exactly my strongest subject?
What do you mean by short? :/ not sure but to me half/ one page responses are quite long LOL. There's room to write a lot of things- most things that youd say verbally in an interview can be included in the written response, at least for me, especially if you're writing the most relevant things. The sort of questions asked have been covered briefly above (not sure if they'll be the same every year tho, however last years med and dent written questions were quite similar if I recall correctly)- do you have more specific questions about them instead? Uhh not sure about the quality of writing required but since there's a written and oral component, you'd assume that the written would test your writing skills to a somewhat significant extent and also the content would be important, but in terms of the weightings I wouldn't know. But you could practice writing out the responses now.

A29

Lurker
Hey MedDent (sorry to ask about the written assessment again) - approx. how many questions for the written component?
Also, what was the dress code last year? Any different to a standard uni interview?

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hey MedDent (sorry to ask about the written assessment again) - approx. how many questions for the written component?
Also, what was the dress code last year? Any different to a standard uni interview?
It was about 3-5? Some were shorter than others tho. Same clothes as you'd wear to any other interview I'd imagine! That's what most people wore, although a couple were a bit casual.
You should get an email soon and it should give you some information regarding what happens on that day, what to expect ETC.

david88

Not strictly related to interviews but I couldn't find any info on this online - on UAC it doesn't say anything about bonded spots through this combined pathway so am I right in assuming all spots are CSP unbonded? Where could I find this information?