Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd Usyd Provisional Entry MD Interview Information

Isiyara

UQ MD II
Hello people, I finished high school in QLD where you have to apply for your ATAR to know exactly what it is. I just found out yesterday that my ATAR was 99.95 so I went to UAC to add usyb med to my first preference (it was Griffith med before). Is that too late to be considered? I mean it says on their website that there are multiple assessment dates but wouldn't they have contacted enough 99.95s to interview since most of them would've known their ATAR by the end of December?
It'd be appreciated if someone could reassure me that they do contact people after the first offer round in December.

Hi, I definitely recommend emailing/calling them as soon as you can to see if it is possible.
A similar thing happened to me last year (I'm from QLD too btw) as I had included med preferences for every uni other than USyd on my UAC application and only included non-med preferences for USyd. I received my ATAR on 20/12/2016 and emailed Usyd on the 22nd to see if I changed my preferences in time to still be considered for an med interview and they replied with the following:

"Thanks for your enquiry.
It is not too late. Interviews for the medicine program are conducted in January. If you have us as one of your preferences you will receive further information then.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
All the best"

Then I received my med interview email on the 24th Dec.
So get in touch with them ASAP and good luck!

Last edited:

Blablaee

Hi, I definitely recommend emailing/calling them as soon as you can to see if it is possible.
A similar thing happened to me last year (I'm from QLD too btw) since I had put in med preferences for every uni other than USyd on my UAC application and had non-med preferences for USyd. I received my ATAR on 20/12/2016 and emailed Usyd on the 22nd to see if I changed my preferences in time to still be considered for an interview and they replied with this:

It is not too late. Interviews for the medicine program are conducted in January. If you have us as one of your preferences you will receive further information then.
All the best"

I then received my med interview email on the 24th Dec.

Thanks so much Isiyara! I emailed the university yesterday (not directly to the medical department however) and now I'm waiting for their response...from your post it seems to me that last year they gave out interview offers separately from UAC offer rounds (I don't know if 24 Dec was a UAC offer round in 2016). Does that mean that I'm likely to get the interview offer (if they intend to give me one) before the 12 Jan UAC offer round? Is there any way I can know for sure whether my preference has been looked at and considered?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks so much Isiyara! I emailed the university yesterday (not directly to the medical department however) and now I'm waiting for their response...from your post it seems to me that last year they gave out interview offers separately from UAC offer rounds (I don't know if 24 Dec was a UAC offer round in 2016). Does that mean that I'm likely to get the interview offer (if they intend to give me one) before the 12 Jan UAC offer round? Is there any way I can know for sure whether my preference has been looked at and considered?

Unfortunately UAC applications are locked between now and the first UAC round on Jan 12th, so I can’t see how you’ll be able to add USyd to your preferences before then to be considered for an interview (given USyd seemed to indicate to Isiyara that they needed to have USyd as a preference to be contacted for interview). Isiyara made their enquiry almost 2 weeks earlier than yours (assuming you’ve made it just now) and UAC applications were still unlocked/could be altered at that point.

Blablaee

Unfortunately UAC applications are locked between now and the first UAC round on Jan 12th, so I can’t see how you’ll be able to add USyd to your preferences before then to be considered for an interview (given USyd seemed to indicate to Isiyara that they needed to have USyd as a preference to be contacted for interview). Isiyara made their enquiry almost 2 weeks earlier than yours (assuming you’ve made it just now) and UAC applications were still unlocked/could be altered at that point.

I got an email from UAC reminding me that preference changed will be locked by 4 Jan earlier on so I changed my UAC preference on 4 Jan when it was still unlocked. So now the BSc/MD program is my UAC first preference. But I don't understand how the system works: I'm not sure whether the university gets notified immediately after I added the preference (which would be helpful for me) or do they only get my info a day or two before the January offer round.

Q3

I got an email from UAC reminding me that preference changed will be locked by 4 Jan earlier on so I changed my UAC preference on 4 Jan when it was still unlocked. So now the BSc/MD program is my UAC first preference. But I don't understand how the system works: I'm not sure whether the university gets notified immediately after I added the preference (which would be helpful for me) or do they only get my info a day or two before the January offer round.

Preferences could be changed until midnight on 3rd January so it is odd that UAC allowed you to change your preferences on the 4th of January.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Again, I’m just interpreting from @isiyara’s email quote, but it seems to be independent of the actual offer date, given they got their interview email two days later, on the 24th of Dec (well before the round 1 Jan offer, and just after the round 2 Dec offer). This would seem to suggest that the University receives some kind of notification almost immediately and unrelated to offer round dates.

Blablaee

Preferences could be changed until midnight on 3rd January so it is odd that UAC allowed you to change your preferences on the 4th of January.

Oops...you're right. I just went back to check my emails and it was the 3rd of January. Holidays make me lose my sense of days in the month:lol:. In that case I think the time frame for all the incidents (getting to know my ATAR etc) should be moved one day ahead of those in my original post. But the point is now that I have it as my first preference, would the university see it and consider it since this is all quite last-minute?

Blablaee

Again, I’m just interpreting from @isiyara’s email quote, but it seems to be independent of the actual offer date, given they got their interview email two days later, on the 24th of Dec (well before the round 1 Jan offer, and just after the round 2 Dec offer). This would seem to suggest that the University receives some kind of notification almost immediately and unrelated to offer round dates.

Yes that interpretation definitely makes sense. I guess the locked period before each offer round is for the universities to consider the preferences. Well I haven't received anything yet so I'm betting on sometime next week...if they will ever consider my preference...

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes that interpretation definitely makes sense. I guess the locked period before each offer round is for the universities to consider the preferences. Well I haven't received anything yet so I'm betting on sometime next week...if they will ever consider my preference...

It sounds like you’ve done all you can, now to wait! Congrats on the ATAR, best of luck :D

kjz

And the waiting is dreadful :(. But anyway thanks for that:)! I definitely need some luck now and hopefully the waiting won't be long.

Congrats to the impressive ATAR! Anyway you are a winner regardless if you get the last-minute consideration for USyd before main round offer. I heard it was only 30 provisional MDs and 10% for interstate. If it's true, then the quota is only 3 for non-NSW applicants. I think you have nothing to lose but save some money if you cannot meet the USyd deadline ;)

Blablaee

Congrats to the impressive ATAR! Anyway you are a winner regardless if you get the last-minute consideration for USyd before main round offer. I heard it was only 30 provisional MDs and 10% for interstate. If it's true, then the quota is only 3 for non-NSW applicants. I think you have nothing to lose but save some money if you cannot meet the USyd deadline ;)

Thanks:). Wow that doesn't sound very optimistic to me...there are definitely a lot more than 3 99.95s outside of NSW. I've done all I can so I guess all that's left for me to do now is to wait and see.

The reason why I'm clinging onto usyd is because my other offers are not very desirable: unimelb offered me chancellor's scholarship but it has an MMI I have to pass in the third year to secure a CSP in med. I will probably get an offer from Griffith but I'm not sure about its reputation and teaching quality compared to other older, Go8 med schools. Neither of these would be a problem if I'd done well in UMAT but...I guess it's too late to talk about that now.

Just saying though, what do people think I should choose if usyd doesn't give me an offer, unimelb or Griffith? (Or Flinders because I haven't heard from them yet)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks:). Wow that doesn't sound very optimistic to me...there are definitely a lot more than 3 99.95s outside of NSW. I've done all I can so I guess all that's left for me to do now is to wait and see.

The reason why I'm clinging onto usyd is because my other offers are not very desirable: unimelb offered me chancellor's scholarship but it has an MMI I have to pass in the third year to secure a CSP in med. I will probably get an offer from Griffith but I'm not sure about its reputation and teaching quality compared to other older, Go8 med schools. Neither of these would be a problem if I'd done well in UMAT but...I guess it's too late to talk about that now.

Just saying though, what do people think I should choose if usyd doesn't give me an offer, unimelb or Griffith? (Or Flinders because I haven't heard from them yet)

The Uni you graduate from means zilch post studies (from a prestige point of view). All are similarly accredited and you get the same degree at the end (or version thereof: MBBS vs MD etc, which also doesn’t matter).

I’d choose based on:
location (also consider that state you graduate in will be state for your intern year in vast majority of cases)
length
hurdles (GPA, MMI, etc)
CSP vs BMP (though this isn’t really a deal breaker for me at all and it’d be the top three)

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I will probably get an offer from Griffith but I'm not sure about its reputation and teaching quality
What knowledge of Go8 schools do you have that speaks for their reputation and teaching quality more than Griffith, out of curiosity? Of course they may have been around longer and perhaps have fancier campuses, but Griffith also has great facilities and based on other's testimonies there is no problem with the teaching. In the eyes of medicine, the med school you went to is irrelevant; all degrees have been AMC accredited and thus provide you with the necessary preparation for your internship year.

Please keep in mind that while you do have a top preference (as everyone does!) many other applicants out there would be thrilled to have any of the options that you do, regardless of how "not very desirable" they may seem. Remember a place in med is just that... your opportunity to study medicine and become a doctor.

With regards to Griffith vs UniMelb, Griffith guarantees you a spot in medicine relying on maintaining a 5.0 GPA in your undergraduate degree, as well as you having to compete with your classmates for the CSP positions (bottom 25% receive a BMP iirc). UniMelb doesn't guarantee a place, but if you do achieve above the cut-score for 5/8 MMI stations and achieve above 50% of the overall score, then you will have a CSP. You'll most likely be receiving big scholarships from both universities (provided you have applied for one at Griffith!), but Melbourne is likely to be more expensive to live in than GC/Nathan/SC.

Good luck with USYD and the rest of your offers :)

Edit: Made slight amendments to the requirements for the Melb MMI

Last edited:

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
Congrats on your 99.95
Of those, I’d definitely pick Griffith if I was in your position, even if you were to get USyd
-home state/closer to home, and cheaper living costs than Sydney/Melbourne (perhaps not Adelaide)
-a year shorter than USyd/UniMelb
-there is a small risk of getting a BMP but since it’s only 1 year now, that wouldn’t be such a big deal
All the best

kjz

If I were you, I would choose Griffith over UMelb without hesitation because of the reasons that other people mentioned above. :)

Isiyara

UQ MD II

Unless you really want to live (or work) in Melbourne and the scholarship makes the costs manageable, I would definitely go with Griffith since it is 6 years compared to Melb's 7 years and because it's more certain in terms of getting a place. I have a few friends doing med at Griffith and they haven't had any problems with teaching quality and have said that the facilities at the GC campus are quite new/nice.

Blablaee

Thanks so much for all your help! I have to admit my preference for a Go8 uni isn't really supported by any solid evidence and is rather my intuitive inclination. I think I'm now convinced that the med school doesn't matter much so now I just have to convince my parents. Hopefully that will go well.

The good wishes from you all seem to have helped, as I also got an email this morning from USYD inviting me to their assessment day on the 22nd of January. So now I think I can confirm that they do consider applications after the first round in December as long as you meet the cutoff ATAR.

Blablaee

A similar thing happened to me last year (I'm from QLD too btw) as I had included med preferences for every uni other than USyd on my UAC application and only included non-med preferences for USyd. I received my ATAR on 20/12/2016 and emailed Usyd on the 22nd to see if I changed my preferences in time to still be considered for an med interview and they replied with the following:

All the best"

Then I received my med interview email on the 24th Dec.
Did you attend the interview in the end? If you did, it'd be great if you could give me some tips now that I have to worry about it as well:D.

During the group interview, the interviewer doesn't say much, just guides a bit and asks the question, then usually everyone answers it- but sometimes there's one or two people who are a bit quieter and don't say much and don't answer, if you don't answer questions continuously the interviewer might prompt you. But yeah everyone gets the same question, it's kinda like a discussion you just add onto it and try not to repeat what other people have said. Try not to be last otherwise you mightn't have much to add, just take the initiative to speak up. Cos they don't really go like, person A what do you think.
Yeah! I think one of the written questions was about what you think are the two important traits of a doctor, and another question allowed you to talk about your personal experiences and how it relates to choosing medicine, and another was about how the undergrad science degree will help with the med degree- mostly similar to the oral interview, can integrate some of your answers into this written component.

Hi there, what kind of questions do they ask in the oral interview? How much time would u say is given for every question and every person to answer it? What kind of atmosphere was that? Friendly interviewer and interviewees? And just any other advice is welcome thanks

And are the questions personal, so that everyone gets a chance to talk about themselves, like telling everyone about what motivated them etc etc?

Last edited by a moderator: