• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd Radiography

Nbank

Lurker
Hi, I'm currently a year 12 student who is looking into radiography at USYD. It seems to be a popular alternative for med. I was wondering if anyone is currently doing the course or has completed it recently. How difficult is the course and was it competitive to get into to.
What was the lowest atar they took on? Is it still possible to get in with a 93-94 atar?

Crow

Moderator Band
https://sydney.edu.au/content/dam/corporate/documents/study/admissions/apply/entry-requirements/ug-academic-requirements/sydney-uni-domestic-admission-criteria-2020.pdf The second page of this document suggests you’ll need an ATAR of ~95 to gain an offer to the Bachelor of Applied Science (Radiography) in 2020.

There is also a Masters of Radiography, of which admission would be dependent on your GPA in an undergraduate degree.

As for difficulty of the course: while I cannot comment on it from personal experience, you should expect the course to be reasonably physics-heavy as this makes up a big part of understanding medical imaging.

Nbank

Lurker

octagu

Hi there, I'm currently an first-year undergraduate radiography student at USYD. As Crow mentioned above, the course is quite physics-heavy, since it's a fundamental component to understanding how medical imaging works. However, you won't be significantly disadvantaged if you haven't studied physics in high school, as they blitz through most of year 12 physics within the first few weeks of first semester, and it's all fresh physics content from that point forward so you're all in the same boat. I didn't take physics in high school, but I was still able to cope with it all.

I'd say that radiography is reasonably difficult- don't expect to cruise through the course with minimal study. You take fundamental subjects such as anatomy, physiology, human biology, medical radiation physics, health psychology and sociology and more in your first year. Don't expect the degree to be purely theoretical either, since most of your later years in radiography will also be filled with placements and more of your assessments will come from OSCEs and placement evaluations. But for sure, the course content is engaging and there is a lot to learn.

I believe the course is quite competitive to get into on the ATAR score, but don't let that deter you. Radiography is definitely a great degree to be studying, with a wide range of career opportunities. It's definitely a good degree to consider as an alternative to medicine, with a path to a viable career in the future if you don't end up going along the medicine route.