Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Accommodation Options

georgina

Hi all,

I'm planning on starting 1st year of med at UTAS next year and have been offered a place at John Fisher College. If anyone could give me an overview about the rooms, bathrooms, food (understand it can be self catered or bought), distance and transport to and from med school by buses and the social scene (are there many med students living there? are there frequent parties? is it overly loud?), it would be very helpful :)

EJM

Hi Georgina and Hopeful Med Student,

Congratulations on your offers!

John Fisher is like dorm room accommodation. Each room has a king single bed, large desk, small bar fridge and built in wardrobes. There are about 4 floors and each floor has a kitchenette. Nothing more than a kettle and microwave from memory. If you want to cook you will need to use the kitchens which are located on another floor. Bathrooms are shared on each floor. There is also a restaurant attached to the college. There are a number of social events including parties, dinners, inter-college events and sports. I believe you are able to request your room or ask to be located in a quieter part of the college. The college has parking and a regular bus service which runs into the medical campus which is located about 10-15 minutes away in the city. John Fisher is located on the Sandy Bay campus. There are likely to be a few medical students but last years first year medical students were predominantly located at the Jane Franklin Hall Accommodation which is private (not through the university) and is catered. Hopeful med student mentioned the self-contained studio apartments which are yet to be completed. These are located in the centre of the city and are much closer to the medical school. These rooms are quite a lot larger than the John Fisher rooms and each room has a double bed, ensuite, kitchen, desk and built in wardrobes. However I have heard that the studio apartments are still considerably small and the costs of these, despite being advertised as below market value are still high. They are yet to release the official costs of the studio apartments. They also have shared living areas and I believe there is supposed to be parking spaces too. There is also Christ College which is not dissimilar to John Fisher. Hope this helps you make a decision!

E

georgina

Hi Georgina and Hopeful Med Student,

Congratulations on your offers!

John Fisher is like dorm room accommodation. Each room has a king single bed, large desk, small bar fridge and built in wardrobes. There are about 4 floors and each floor has a kitchenette. Nothing more than a kettle and microwave from memory. If you want to cook you will need to use the kitchens which are located on another floor. Bathrooms are shared on each floor. There is also a restaurant attached to the college. There are a number of social events including parties, dinners, inter-college events and sports. I believe you are able to request your room or ask to be located in a quieter part of the college. The college has parking and a regular bus service which runs into the medical campus which is located about 10-15 minutes away in the city. John Fisher is located on the Sandy Bay campus. There are likely to be a few medical students but last years first year medical students were predominantly located at the Jane Franklin Hall Accommodation which is private (not through the university) and is catered. Hopeful med student mentioned the self-contained studio apartments which are yet to be completed. These are located in the centre of the city and are much closer to the medical school. These rooms are quite a lot larger than the John Fisher rooms and each room has a double bed, ensuite, kitchen, desk and built in wardrobes. However I have heard that the studio apartments are still considerably small and the costs of these, despite being advertised as below market value are still high. They are yet to release the official costs of the studio apartments. They also have shared living areas and I believe there is supposed to be parking spaces too. There is also Christ College which is not dissimilar to John Fisher. Hope this helps you make a decision!

E
Would you say the people there are quite nice overall and are they very rowdy? How often do the social events occur?

Thank you so much for your reply!! ''Twas very helpful.

EJM

Would you say the people there are quite nice overall and are they very rowdy? How often do the social events occur?

Thank you so much for your reply!! ''Twas very helpful.
No worries at all! I haven't been to college myself but my partner went to Fisher and I've had plenty of friends go through Jane and Christ.
People are generally really nice! Umm, social events are at least once a month from memory but it is totally up to you how much you participate in them! People are understanding, particularly if you are doing med :) I seem to remember particular floors were a bit more rowdy so I'm sure you can get around that.

Yeah, I think if you are new to Tassie and wanted to meet people and do some social activities outside of med, college would be the way to go. And as I said above, you can participate as much or as little as you want.. I'm not sure if the new studios will have structured social events, but there are 450 rooms so I imagine they could quite easily have some planned social activities if they wanted to! Unsure how it will be set up at this stage.

There are a number of med events throughout the year also, so its really up to your own social preferences. I am only assuming that college will be a bit more social so forgive me if I'm mistaken! Oh $230 isn't bad for that style of accommodation. If you were looking for simple shared house options, gumtree is a great place to start! Accommodation in general is considerably cheap in Hobart, especially in shared houses, compared to other cities.

Hope that helps guys!

No worries at all! I haven't been to college myself but my partner went to Fisher and I've had plenty of friends go through Jane and Christ.
People are generally really nice! Umm, social events are at least once a month from memory but it is totally up to you how much you participate in them! People are understanding, particularly if you are doing med :) I seem to remember particular floors were a bit more rowdy so I'm sure you can get around that.

Yeah, I think if you are new to Tassie and wanted to meet people and do some social activities outside of med, college would be the way to go. And as I said above, you can participate as much or as little as you want.. I'm not sure if the new studios will have structured social events, but there are 450 rooms so I imagine they could quite easily have some planned social activities if they wanted to! Unsure how it will be set up at this stage.

There are a number of med events throughout the year also, so its really up to your own social preferences. I am only assuming that college will be a bit more social so forgive me if I'm mistaken! Oh $230 isn't bad for that style of accommodation. If you were looking for simple shared house options, gumtree is a great place to start! Accommodation in general is considerably cheap in Hobart, especially in shared houses, compared to other cities.

Hope that helps guys!
Very helpful, Thankyou!!! ill look into it a bit more i think!

Reactions: EJM

Bisque

Hi Guys! I've been offered a spot in med for 2018, was just wondering which accomodation you thought was best? (distance from med buildings, room size and facilities)

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hi Guys! I've been offered a spot in med for 2018, was just wondering which accomodation you thought was best? (distance from med buildings, room size and facilities)
As a local who won't need to move, I'm not completely on top of this, but I know of a BMedRes student who was at Jane Franklin last year and really enjoyed the experience. Also, there is a brand new accommodation complex that has just opened within walking distance of the Med School (which is in the city rather than in Sandy Bay like the main Hobart campus) that would be worth checking out.

ETA: out of interest, are you a rural interstate applicant? We have some other UTAS pages that are a bit active if you're interested in introducing yourself :)

Bisque

As a local who won't need to move, I'm not completely on top of this, but I know of a BMedRes student who was at Jane Franklin last year and really enjoyed the experience. Also, there is a brand new accommodation complex that has just opened within walking distance of the Med School (which is in the city rather than in Sandy Bay like the main Hobart campus) that would be worth checking out.

ETA: out of interest, are you a rural interstate applicant? We have some other UTAS pages that are a bit active if you're interested in introducing yourself :)
Thanks for you reply!! I'm absolutely trash at cooking so I don't think the accomodation complex is right for me (assuming its self-catered). Yes I'm interstate and was offered the rural pathway :D Is Jane Franklin close enough to the med buildings??

Also would you be able to get me in touch with some current students? I need some insider information regarding wifi use and other stuff haha ;)

- Posts merged by a moderator -

LMG!

Admodistrator
Thanks for you reply!! I'm absolutely trash at cooking so I don't think the accomodation complex is right for me (assuming its self-catered). Yes I'm interstate and was offered the rural pathway :D Is Jane Franklin close enough to the med buildings??

Also would you be able to get me in touch with some current students? I need some insider information regarding wifi use and other stuff haha ;)

I don't know any current students who are staying in college accommodation, I'm sorry. Someone else may be able to chime in. The person who was at Jane (and loved it) has moved to Armidale for Med. Jane is in South Hobart, so a bit of a walk to the Med School but doable if you're a keen bean. That said, they have a shuttle bus you can utilise so works out pretty convenient, I believe.

mnm

I don't know much about Christ and Fisher (except that Jane beats them at most intercollege sports!), but I have been at Jane for the last two years and I've had an awesome experience there. I'm doing BMedRes so I've had plenty of classes to get to at Menzies, but as LMG! said there's a shuttle bus that leaves every hour to get you there. It's also only a 30min walk to Menzies so a lot of people just walk from Jane.

Jane is fully catered, so cooking isn't an issue. However, because of this it's a bit more pricey than the other accommodation options. I found eating in the dining hall with other students a really good way to meet people though. 75GB of wifi per month is also included in the fees at Jane. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Bisque

Thanks for the info! If its alright with you, could I pm you some questions?

I don't know much about Christ and Fisher (except that Jane beats them at most intercollege sports!), but I have been at Jane for the last two years and I've had an awesome experience there. I'm doing BMedRes so I've had plenty of classes to get to at Menzies, but as LMG! said there's a shuttle bus that leaves every hour to get you there. It's also only a 30min walk to Menzies so a lot of people just walk from Jane.

Jane is fully catered, so cooking isn't an issue. However, because of this it's a bit more pricey than the other accommodation options. I found eating in the dining hall with other students a really good way to meet people though. 75GB of wifi per month is also included in the fees at Jane. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Hannah.1999

Thanks LMG!

I’ve been meaning to post, I got accepted into med at UTAS a few weeks ago. I’m from rural Tamworth in NSW and never been to tassie before... a little nervous about the idea of moving, hoping for a med offer in NSW, if not I might see you next year!

australia

My friend and I were hoping to rent a shared flat/apartment to split the cost. Is such an arrangement possible at John Fisher/ Christ College?

LMG!

Admodistrator
My friend and I were hoping to rent a shared flat/apartment to split the cost. Is such an arrangement possible at John Fisher/ Christ College?
I think the only way to definitely do this is to find a private rental. Have either of you secured accommodation at JF or CC?

australia

I think the only way to definitely do this is to find a private rental. Have either of you secured accommodation at JF or CC?
Change of plans, we are now living separately. I'm planning on living at the new NRAS Hobart Apartments; is it a spacious dwelling? I just hope that it's peaceful and somewhere where I can still make lots of friends :)

LMG!

Admodistrator
Change of plans, we are now living separately. I'm planning on living at the new NRAS Hobart Apartments; is it a spacious dwelling? I just hope that it's peaceful and somewhere where I can still make lots of friends :)
Heaps of Med students stay there as it’s walking distance to the Med school. I don’t live in uni accommodation and never have so can’t really comment on peacefulness, but the building is huge, new, and pretty cool (architecturally from the outside), so I’m sure it’ll be great. The rooms are fully self contained, which is a bonus (imo).

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hey LMG! isn't the Midcity accomodation closer? It's specifically advertised to be minutes' walk from the Med School.. Which accomodation option would you say most first years choose?
Well, Midcity is being offered for the first time this year because UTAS only acquired it in the middle of last year, so zero first years have chosen it in the past. One is a 12 minute walk from the Med school, one is 8. They are both easily in walking distance. The Hobart apartments are almost brand new. I have no idea what (if any) renovations were done to the Midcity, it was an older hotel that UTAS purchased to turn into accommodation, so it’s no where as new. *shrugs* I’m sure either would fine.

Last year there was a mix of people in Christ, Jane Franklin, JF, Hobart apartments, private rentals, and home.