• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Accommodation Options

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
Oh so people choose to live on campus over the Hobart apartments usually?
There is no 'on campus' accommodation for the Medical Sciences Precinct as it is right in the city next to the hospital. The closest University accommodation is the Hobart apartments and the Midcity apartments, a 10 minute walk away. The rest are a shuttle bus ride away.

paul S

Hi All,
Unfortunately did not get mid city or Hobart appartments as they were full. Have got an offer for Christ College. Have 2-3 days more to accept it. We know its far and has a shuttle ( don't know how often ) to and from the College & Uni.
Any idea how it is ? food etc ? any medical students who live at the place ? gym ?
Thanks.

LMG!

There were definitely multiple Med students in my class last year who were staying at Christ College. As far as I know, there were no complaints about any of the accommodation options, and the shuttles are pretty reliable.

ETA: I’m not sure if there is a gym. Most people tend to use unigym, I think. Or Zap. But there may well be a small gym at CC.

Ammiecat

Man, I'd love to go on campus but I have a little dog and cat so it's not an option haha. I think if my lease runs out over the course if my degree I might see if any classmates wanna split a bigger house (provided they'd live with my little doggo and cat.)

Rentals are brutal down here at the moment. It's terrifying. Take what you can get guys.

LMG!

Man, I'd love to go on campus but I have a little dog and cat so it's not an option haha. I think if my lease runs out over the course if my degree I might see if any classmates wanna split a bigger house (provided they'd live with my little doggo and cat.)

Rentals are brutal down here at the moment. It's terrifying. Take what you can get guys.
Yeah, there are definitely heaps of students that end up finding rentals together so that is for sure an option.

Hi,
I received an offer for a single room at Christ College. Just wondering whether anyone knows a bit about what it’s like there. I had a look at some reviews online and they aren’t very good at all :/.
Thanks! :)

LMG!

Hey guys I've gotten a place into MidCity, but not sure if UTAS is where I'll be going. I know theres a $150 non refundable fee and $500 security deposit that I have to pay to accept. On the contract it says I have till 13 Jan to cancel my residence there, but I only received the offer on 25th. As it's the long weekend, I'll have to make the decision and pay before the accomodation offices will open again. If I accept and pay the $650 then cancel on say, 7th Feb, are there any charges that I will incur? I think I lose the $150 but hopefully that's it?? Would they make me pay accomodation fees for the whole year?
If you only got the offer on the 25th, I’d disregard the 13th cut-off date as it’s clearly not applicable to you, and call them on Tuesday to clarify everything before paying anything, tbh.

ip49

Lurker
Hey LMG! I'm looking for accommodation at the moment and I was wondering if you know where most classes are held for BMedRes, the School of Medicine or the Sandy Bay Campus. Thank You :)

LMG!

Hey LMG! I'm looking for accommodation at the moment and I was wondering if you know where most classes are held for BMedRes, the School of Medicine or the Sandy Bay Campus. Thank You :)
At a guess, I’d say the Sandy Bay campus, but that’s just a guess based on the fact I regularly see Med and Paramed students at the Menzies campus, but not very regularly see the Med Res students. But like I said, that’s just a guess!

Last edited:

I did BMedRes last year. And LMG is right, most of the classes are at Sandy Bay. You only go to Menzies once or twice a week.

A Guo

Lurker
Does anyone know where UTAS MBBS classes are located? I'm thinking about accommodation and would like to know how often med students will have to go to the Sandy Bay campus.

LMG!

Does anyone know where UTAS MBBS classes are located? I'm thinking about accommodation and would like to know how often med students will have to go to the Sandy Bay campus.
I know, I know :D

I can confirm that not a single class is held in Sandy Bay. With the exception of pathology labs and tutorials, which are in the Clinical School building at the back of the RHH, all lectures, tutorials, pracs, labs, and CBLs are in the Med School/Menzies building diagonal to the RHH in the CBD.

ETA: mid-year and end of year written exams are the only time you will venture to Sandy Bay. Mid-semester, OSCE, and applied exams are also at the Med School/Menzies building.

ETA2: Fountainside is the closest UTAS accommodation, followed by Mid-City and City Apartments. Plus private rentals in the CBD, North Hobart, Glebe, Battery Point (depending on how much you have to spend/availability).

ETA3: Do you have a UTAS offer? Are you a Tassie student? Or rural interstate?

Last edited:

A Guo

Lurker
I know, I know

I can confirm that not a single class is held in Sandy Bay. With the exception of pathology labs and tutorials, which are in the Clinical School building at the back of the RHH, all lectures, tutorials, pracs, labs, and CBLs are in the Med School/Menzies building diagonal to the RHH in the CBD.

ETA: mid-year and end of year written exams are the only time you will venture to Sandy Bay. Mid-semester, OSCE, and applied exams are also at the Med School/Menzies building.

ETA2: Fountainside is the closest UTAS accommodation, followed by Mid-City and City Apartments. Plus private rentals in the CBD, North Hobart, Glebe, Battery Point (depending on how much you have to spend/availability).

ETA3: Do you have a UTAS offer? Are you a Tassie student? Or rural interstate?
Thanks!! :)