Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Accommodation Options

Hi! I've recently been offered a Med place at UTAS. I'm interstate, 20 years old and have already done two years of uni. Would anyone be able to tell me what the Jane Franklin hall is like? My concern is that it is pretty far from the med school and that I'd feel a little 'old' there haha! Alternatively, I'd be keen to flat somewhere closer to the med school - does anyone know how I could potentially organise this? Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Kawaisaki

Hi! I'm also coming from interstate but im a bit older having already completed my bachelors, would love to hear some utas med student accommodation experiences! From what i've researched , most lectures / tutes / pracs happen at med school/hospital which is located in the CBD. However, I was wondering if there is much opportunity or time for med students to be at the main campus for society events / meeting new people? Still trying to decide which suburb to live in :rolleyes:

jsth

hey guys, so the trend with first years is they stay at uni accom until about 2nd or 3rd year when they form a group and move out.

There are also other colleges near the main campus (which is separate to the med district). This might suit you guys better as Accommodation Services has two colleges (St John Fisher - smaller but tighter in terms of friendships or Christ college - larger and more spread out).
There are also uni apartments which seems to be like what you are looking for, 6 people share and you can request to be put with other medical students.
They have free shuttle busses to take you to uni each morning and lots in the Arvo to take you back depending on when your day finishes (and also stops by the supermarkets in sandy bay).

It is better than Jane as you can walk 5mins to main campus where you can get involved in uni sport teams, societies, and the unigym is very decent. Jane is in the middle of the two campuses (my bias is quite evident :)

all these colleges have websites and fb pages and slightly inactive Instagrams

let me know if you have other questions

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
But Jane is the only fully catered one right? The other two you mentioned are self catered?

jsth

But Jane is the only fully catered one right? The other two you mentioned are self catered?
that's right, the other ones surround a student dining area called Pepperz which give you the option of having brekkie/lunch/dinner or not. usual meal is $6.50 on a meal card.
You'll find that you will go out for dinner a lot and cooking can be fun wth friends so your choice :)

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
that's right, the other ones surround a student dining area called Pepperz which give you the option of having brekkie/lunch/dinner or not. usual meal is $6.50 on a meal card.
You'll find that you will go out for dinner a lot and cooking can be fun wth friends so your choice :)
What are the other differences between Jane and John/ Christ? Or is it just the food?

jsth

What are the other differences between Jane and John/ Christ? Or is it just the food?

Because Jane is catered they cost a lot more. Jane has formal dinners every Monday which is exciting for a few weeks then people start wearing just normal clothes and under the black graduation (formal gowns). No kitchens as food is provided. Jane is closer to cbd so taxi ride back from nights out might be $5 cheaper. Jane is more strict about rules and going to inter college sport trainings. Jane is a private college so there may be other benefits but I don't know about them.

Fisher and Christ are close together geographically and you buy your meals for cheaper and only when needed. they have kitchens for students to use. Fisher, Christ and uni apartments are located in the same spot so the free tutorial program is larger as more tutors are available. It's closer to main campus so its convenient for events in o week and throughout the year.

oh sports colours because maybe you hate to wear s certain colour- Jane is red/black/white, Fisher- blue/white, Christ-yellow/black/blue

all the colleges have annual balls, inter college cocktails, commencement dinners and o week events etc so you'll have a good group of friends before med starts.

Kawaisaki

Just to add another UTAS accommodation question into the mix, has anyone had experience living at ULIVE student accommodation? It's slightly closer to the CBD and super close to shops

Hey guys! I'm hoping to flat somewhere in the Hobart CBD, close to the Med School. Does anyone happen to have a free room in their flat / share accommodation? If so, please send me a message as I'd definitely be interested :) Thanks!

jsth

Hey guys! I'm hoping to flat somewhere in the Hobart CBD, close to the Med School. Does anyone happen to have a free room in their flat / share accommodation? If so, please send me a message as I'd definitely be interested :) Thanks!
shared places are put up around pinboards at school... usually Collins St, Creswell row, Brisbane st etc

georgina

Hi all,

I'm planning on starting 1st year of med at UTAS next year and have been offered a place at John Fisher College. If anyone could give me an overview about the rooms, bathrooms, food (understand it can be self catered or bought), distance and transport to and from med school by buses and the social scene (are there many med students living there? are there frequent parties? is it overly loud?), it would be very helpful :)

EJM

Hi Georgina and Hopeful Med Student,

Congratulations on your offers!

John Fisher is like dorm room accommodation. Each room has a king single bed, large desk, small bar fridge and built in wardrobes. There are about 4 floors and each floor has a kitchenette. Nothing more than a kettle and microwave from memory. If you want to cook you will need to use the kitchens which are located on another floor. Bathrooms are shared on each floor. There is also a restaurant attached to the college. There are a number of social events including parties, dinners, inter-college events and sports. I believe you are able to request your room or ask to be located in a quieter part of the college. The college has parking and a regular bus service which runs into the medical campus which is located about 10-15 minutes away in the city. John Fisher is located on the Sandy Bay campus. There are likely to be a few medical students but last years first year medical students were predominantly located at the Jane Franklin Hall Accommodation which is private (not through the university) and is catered. Hopeful med student mentioned the self-contained studio apartments which are yet to be completed. These are located in the centre of the city and are much closer to the medical school. These rooms are quite a lot larger than the John Fisher rooms and each room has a double bed, ensuite, kitchen, desk and built in wardrobes. However I have heard that the studio apartments are still considerably small and the costs of these, despite being advertised as below market value are still high. They are yet to release the official costs of the studio apartments. They also have shared living areas and I believe there is supposed to be parking spaces too. There is also Christ College which is not dissimilar to John Fisher. Hope this helps you make a decision!

E

georgina

Hi Georgina and Hopeful Med Student,

Congratulations on your offers!

John Fisher is like dorm room accommodation. Each room has a king single bed, large desk, small bar fridge and built in wardrobes. There are about 4 floors and each floor has a kitchenette. Nothing more than a kettle and microwave from memory. If you want to cook you will need to use the kitchens which are located on another floor. Bathrooms are shared on each floor. There is also a restaurant attached to the college. There are a number of social events including parties, dinners, inter-college events and sports. I believe you are able to request your room or ask to be located in a quieter part of the college. The college has parking and a regular bus service which runs into the medical campus which is located about 10-15 minutes away in the city. John Fisher is located on the Sandy Bay campus. There are likely to be a few medical students but last years first year medical students were predominantly located at the Jane Franklin Hall Accommodation which is private (not through the university) and is catered. Hopeful med student mentioned the self-contained studio apartments which are yet to be completed. These are located in the centre of the city and are much closer to the medical school. These rooms are quite a lot larger than the John Fisher rooms and each room has a double bed, ensuite, kitchen, desk and built in wardrobes. However I have heard that the studio apartments are still considerably small and the costs of these, despite being advertised as below market value are still high. They are yet to release the official costs of the studio apartments. They also have shared living areas and I believe there is supposed to be parking spaces too. There is also Christ College which is not dissimilar to John Fisher. Hope this helps you make a decision!

E

Would you say the people there are quite nice overall and are they very rowdy? How often do the social events occur?

Thank you so much for your reply!! ''Twas very helpful.

EJM

Would you say the people there are quite nice overall and are they very rowdy? How often do the social events occur?

Thank you so much for your reply!! ''Twas very helpful.

No worries at all! I haven't been to college myself but my partner went to Fisher and I've had plenty of friends go through Jane and Christ.
People are generally really nice! Umm, social events are at least once a month from memory but it is totally up to you how much you participate in them! People are understanding, particularly if you are doing med :) I seem to remember particular floors were a bit more rowdy so I'm sure you can get around that.

Yeah, I think if you are new to Tassie and wanted to meet people and do some social activities outside of med, college would be the way to go. And as I said above, you can participate as much or as little as you want.. I'm not sure if the new studios will have structured social events, but there are 450 rooms so I imagine they could quite easily have some planned social activities if they wanted to! Unsure how it will be set up at this stage.

There are a number of med events throughout the year also, so its really up to your own social preferences. I am only assuming that college will be a bit more social so forgive me if I'm mistaken! Oh $230 isn't bad for that style of accommodation. If you were looking for simple shared house options, gumtree is a great place to start! Accommodation in general is considerably cheap in Hobart, especially in shared houses, compared to other cities.

Hope that helps guys!

No worries at all! I haven't been to college myself but my partner went to Fisher and I've had plenty of friends go through Jane and Christ.
People are generally really nice! Umm, social events are at least once a month from memory but it is totally up to you how much you participate in them! People are understanding, particularly if you are doing med :) I seem to remember particular floors were a bit more rowdy so I'm sure you can get around that.

Yeah, I think if you are new to Tassie and wanted to meet people and do some social activities outside of med, college would be the way to go. And as I said above, you can participate as much or as little as you want.. I'm not sure if the new studios will have structured social events, but there are 450 rooms so I imagine they could quite easily have some planned social activities if they wanted to! Unsure how it will be set up at this stage.

There are a number of med events throughout the year also, so its really up to your own social preferences. I am only assuming that college will be a bit more social so forgive me if I'm mistaken! Oh $230 isn't bad for that style of accommodation. If you were looking for simple shared house options, gumtree is a great place to start! Accommodation in general is considerably cheap in Hobart, especially in shared houses, compared to other cities.

Hope that helps guys!

Very helpful, Thankyou!!! ill look into it a bit more i think!

Reactions: EJM