Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Accommodation Options

Mal08

Hey everyone! Just have some questions regarding uni apartments and though it might be useful for future students to take a look at any info posted here.

1) The official page on the UTAS website only has the vague 'boasts a modern kitchen'. What do the kitchens in uni apartments actually have?

2) Since I will be doing medicine, will I be placed with other 1st year med students or randoms? I would prefer 1st year medical students so was just wondering.

3) I'd imagine that the social aspects of college/dorms is limited since its self contained apartments? Can anyone confirm or are there still self run social events/parties going on?

4) Would you recommend uni apartments over other accomodation options at utas or no?

Thanks!

Bisque

Hi Guys! I've been offered a spot in med for 2018, was just wondering which accomodation you thought was best? (distance from med buildings, room size and facilities)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi Guys! I've been offered a spot in med for 2018, was just wondering which accomodation you thought was best? (distance from med buildings, room size and facilities)

As a local who won't need to move, I'm not completely on top of this, but I know of a BMedRes student who was at Jane Franklin last year and really enjoyed the experience. Also, there is a brand new accommodation complex that has just opened within walking distance of the Med School (which is in the city rather than in Sandy Bay like the main Hobart campus) that would be worth checking out.

ETA: out of interest, are you a rural interstate applicant? We have some other UTAS pages that are a bit active if you're interested in introducing yourself :)

Bisque

As a local who won't need to move, I'm not completely on top of this, but I know of a BMedRes student who was at Jane Franklin last year and really enjoyed the experience. Also, there is a brand new accommodation complex that has just opened within walking distance of the Med School (which is in the city rather than in Sandy Bay like the main Hobart campus) that would be worth checking out.

ETA: out of interest, are you a rural interstate applicant? We have some other UTAS pages that are a bit active if you're interested in introducing yourself :)

Thanks for you reply!! I'm absolutely trash at cooking so I don't think the accomodation complex is right for me (assuming its self-catered). Yes I'm interstate and was offered the rural pathway :D Is Jane Franklin close enough to the med buildings??

Also would you be able to get me in touch with some current students? I need some insider information regarding wifi use and other stuff haha ;)

- Posts merged by a moderator -

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks for you reply!! I'm absolutely trash at cooking so I don't think the accomodation complex is right for me (assuming its self-catered). Yes I'm interstate and was offered the rural pathway :D Is Jane Franklin close enough to the med buildings??

Also would you be able to get me in touch with some current students? I need some insider information regarding wifi use and other stuff haha ;)

I don't know any current students who are staying in college accommodation, I'm sorry. Someone else may be able to chime in. The person who was at Jane (and loved it) has moved to Armidale for Med. Jane is in South Hobart, so a bit of a walk to the Med School but doable if you're a keen bean. That said, they have a shuttle bus you can utilise so works out pretty convenient, I believe.

Bisque

Hi! I've recently been offered a Med place at UTAS. I'm interstate, 20 years old and have already done two years of uni. Would anyone be able to tell me what the Jane Franklin hall is like? My concern is that it is pretty far from the med school and that I'd feel a little 'old' there haha! Alternatively, I'd be keen to flat somewhere closer to the med school - does anyone know how I could potentially organise this? Any help would be very much appreciated :)

hey guys! I recently got an offer for UTAS med for 2018. I'm interstate and am looking for accomodation closer to the med buildings. I'm thinking about Fisher or Christ. I can't cook and enjoy eating out with friends so their discounted meal plan sounds better for me. Would I be able to get out to the med buildings easily from there? Are the two roughly the same?

Bisque

Hey everyone! Just have some questions regarding uni apartments and though it might be useful for future students to take a look at any info posted here.

1) The official page on the UTAS website only has the vague 'boasts a modern kitchen'. What do the kitchens in uni apartments actually have?

2) Since I will be doing medicine, will I be placed with other 1st year med students or randoms? I would prefer 1st year medical students so was just wondering.

3) I'd imagine that the social aspects of college/dorms is limited since its self contained apartments? Can anyone confirm or are there still self run social events/parties going on?

4) Would you recommend uni apartments over other accomodation options at utas or no?

Thanks!

hi! I'm an interstate student who's looking for accomodation. I've been offered a med spot for 2018. Could you please tell me about your experiences with accomodation?

mnm

I don't know much about Christ and Fisher (except that Jane beats them at most intercollege sports!), but I have been at Jane for the last two years and I've had an awesome experience there. I'm doing BMedRes so I've had plenty of classes to get to at Menzies, but as LMG! said there's a shuttle bus that leaves every hour to get you there. It's also only a 30min walk to Menzies so a lot of people just walk from Jane.

Jane is fully catered, so cooking isn't an issue. However, because of this it's a bit more pricey than the other accommodation options. I found eating in the dining hall with other students a really good way to meet people though. 75GB of wifi per month is also included in the fees at Jane. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Bisque

Thanks for the info! If its alright with you, could I pm you some questions?

I don't know much about Christ and Fisher (except that Jane beats them at most intercollege sports!), but I have been at Jane for the last two years and I've had an awesome experience there. I'm doing BMedRes so I've had plenty of classes to get to at Menzies, but as LMG! said there's a shuttle bus that leaves every hour to get you there. It's also only a 30min walk to Menzies so a lot of people just walk from Jane.

Jane is fully catered, so cooking isn't an issue. However, because of this it's a bit more pricey than the other accommodation options. I found eating in the dining hall with other students a really good way to meet people though. 75GB of wifi per month is also included in the fees at Jane. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks LMG!

I’ve been meaning to post, I got accepted into med at UTAS a few weeks ago. I’m from rural Tamworth in NSW and never been to tassie before... a little nervous about the idea of moving, hoping for a med offer in NSW, if not I might see you next year!

australia

My friend and I were hoping to rent a shared flat/apartment to split the cost. Is such an arrangement possible at John Fisher/ Christ College?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My friend and I were hoping to rent a shared flat/apartment to split the cost. Is such an arrangement possible at John Fisher/ Christ College?

I think the only way to definitely do this is to find a private rental. Have either of you secured accommodation at JF or CC?

australia

I think the only way to definitely do this is to find a private rental. Have either of you secured accommodation at JF or CC?
Change of plans, we are now living separately. I'm planning on living at the new NRAS Hobart Apartments; is it a spacious dwelling? I just hope that it's peaceful and somewhere where I can still make lots of friends :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Change of plans, we are now living separately. I'm planning on living at the new NRAS Hobart Apartments; is it a spacious dwelling? I just hope that it's peaceful and somewhere where I can still make lots of friends :)

Heaps of Med students stay there as it’s walking distance to the Med school. I don’t live in uni accommodation and never have so can’t really comment on peacefulness, but the building is huge, new, and pretty cool (architecturally from the outside), so I’m sure it’ll be great. The rooms are fully self contained, which is a bonus (imo).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey LMG! isn't the Midcity accomodation closer? It's specifically advertised to be minutes' walk from the Med School.. Which accomodation option would you say most first years choose?

Well, Midcity is being offered for the first time this year because UTAS only acquired it in the middle of last year, so zero first years have chosen it in the past. One is a 12 minute walk from the Med school, one is 8. They are both easily in walking distance. The Hobart apartments are almost brand new. I have no idea what (if any) renovations were done to the Midcity, it was an older hotel that UTAS purchased to turn into accommodation, so it’s no where as new. *shrugs* I’m sure either would fine.

Last year there was a mix of people in Christ, Jane Franklin, JF, Hobart apartments, private rentals, and home.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Oh so people choose to live on campus over the Hobart apartments usually?

There is no 'on campus' accommodation for the Medical Sciences Precinct as it is right in the city next to the hospital. The closest University accommodation is the Hobart apartments and the Midcity apartments, a 10 minute walk away. The rest are a shuttle bus ride away.