Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Applicant Support Group

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Hi @Tennille,

Thank you very much for reporting back with your reply. Much appreciated.

Also, it's very interesting to see that they seem to have moved the goal-posts AGAIN with regard to when the new 'BMedRes pathway only' for mature aged students kicks in. I really want to believe that 2019 is a solid answer (pleeeease!!), but I've seen it switch (sometimes weekly on the website) from 2018 to 2019 several times now.

[imagine strikethrough here!]Anyway, long story short: this reply seems pretty solid, so we can probably move forward with the understanding that we have one more year as non-standards to ace UMAT and give it a go. I'd think a %ile rank of 98 will be required for reasonable offer assurance, with some offers possibly going slightly lower than that, as was the case this year.[/imagined strikethrough] SEE EDIT BELOW.

I think we can also safely assume that rural status is of no real benefit to non-standard students as, despite the Rural Application Process office repeatedly indicating non-standards are eligible for consideration via this pathway, it does not appear a single non-standard student receive a RAP offer this year. But note: this is definitely an assumption! And I'll still be submitting an application regardless!

With regard to the 2020 rumour referenced above: I had it confirmed yesterday as "definitely not a rumour" from someone associated with UTAS (and a current RHH senior employee) so I'll report it here now, UTAS are planning a move to post-grad only entry as of 2020.

I have NO IDEA how this fits with the current changes and the introduction of the mandatory BMedRes enrollment for 2019. Unfortunately, I have no more details than the fact it's not a rumour. I don't know if they're going the GAMSAT route, or if they're going to provisional entry route, or if it will be some other process entirely but, just... FYI/watch this space, I guess.

ETA: To emphasise my skepticism above: the link provided in the email received by @Tennille that opens the M3N MBBS course information clearly indicates the BMedRes only route is now current. In fact, non-standard entry is not mentioned AT ALL...
So... to try and summarise...

1. There were 5000 applicants for places in 2017... or 3000
2. BMedRes is the only pathway for non-standard entry from 2018... or 2019
3. Rural status is a benefit for non-standards... or not.

The change to grad medicine is interesting.
Reading the tea leaves one might guess that BMedRes will be re cut a bit and become the mandatory first degree followed by four years of grad med. This is complete speculation.

As a complete tangent.... what about a petition for "Doctor of Medicine" to be renamed "Masters of Medicine"?:confused:

biom

So... to try and summarise...

1. There were 5000 applicants for places in 2017... or 3000
2. BMedRes is the only pathway for non-standard entry from 2018... or 2019
3. Rural status is a benefit for non-standards... or not.

Reading the tea leaves one might guess that BMedRes will be re cut a bit and become the mandatory first degree followed by four years of grad med. This is complete speculation.

As a complete tangent.... what about a petition for "Doctor of Medicine" to be renamed "Masters of Medicine"?:confused:
By way of a conclusion.... It would seem a high risk strategy, at least for non-standards, to apply only to UTAS. A Plan B (which might really be a Plan A) seems a good idea.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
By way of a conclusion.... It would seem a high risk strategy, at least for non-standards, to apply only to UTAS. A Plan B (which might really be a Plan A) seems a good idea.

Agreed. Unless circumstances dictate otherwise, I would (and will!!) definitely be applying widely. Non-standard entry to UTAS MBBS should not be anyone's plan A, including for those who can't move interstate. A feasible alternative study or employment plan is a must as it's the most likely outcome.

Reactions: EJM

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I've been trying to come up with a viable explanation for this that takes into consideration the BMedRes push of 2017/18/presumably 19. I haven't yet managed it! If they make BMedRes (or some form of it) the pathway degree, followed by a 4 year grad med degree, they're going to immediately lose BMedRes graduates to Med in large numbers. If they go to GAMSAT entry, why bother with all this BMedRes fuss for only a couple of years?

On it's own, the move to grad med makes total sense. In conjunction with the new push to BMedRes, it makes no sense at all (to me)!

Sorry, are you saying there should be a petition, or there is a petition?

biom

Sorry, are you saying there should be a petition, or there is a petition?
"should be" - I said it was a tangent but maybe one with which you might sympathise. It came to mind as I was looking at what various unis call grad med.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I just visited the UTAS SoM reception because I was in the building for another purpose and thought I'd take a moment to see if I could get some clarity on 2018 entry.

I spoke with a very lovely admissions faculty member who understood our plight and was apologetic for all the mixed messages that have been floating about. But, more importantly, she confirmed that non-standard entry is still available for 2018, and she also acknowledged that she is aware of the incorrect information on the website and has made a request to have this changed. The BMedRes requirement for 'mature aged entry' is for 2019 entry. 2018 entry is the same as 2017 entry for non-standard applicants. From this, I'd now assume minimal places, none offered through the RAP, and a need for UMAT greater than 96%.

(@EJM, @Tennille - this probably most useful to you two at the moment)

Onward and upward to UMAT it is, then :)

biom

I just visited the UTAS SoM reception because I was in the building for another purpose and thought I'd take a moment to see if I could get some clarity on 2018 entry.

I spoke with a very lovely admissions faculty member who understood our plight and was apologetic for all the mixed messages that have been floating about. But, more importantly, she confirmed that non-standard entry is still available for 2018, and she also acknowledged that she is aware of the incorrect information on the website and has made a request to have this changed. The BMedRes requirement for 'mature aged entry' is for 2019 entry. 2018 entry is the same as 2017 entry for non-standard applicants. From this, I'd now assume minimal places, none offered through the RAP, and a need for UMAT greater than 96%.

(@EJM, @Tennille - this probably most useful to you two at the moment)

Onward and upward to UMAT it is, then :)
Thanks and interesting.

Were there any comments that you could link to the rumored Grad Med change?

EJM

Can confirm that this is the same information which I finally received from them today! Kind of nice to be getting consistent info out of UTAS (ULiars) for a change...

My guess is that it will be even more competitive next year given that so many places are reserved specifically for BMedRes guaranteed and competitive entry students and will most definitely need a UMAT of 96+. I hope that they change the way they assess tertiary applicants on their rurality but I'm not banking on it :(

@biom - This was the link given to me with some info about the prospective change but nothing more about movement to Grad entry at this stage, unless @LMG has heard otherwise?

I am a tertiary or mature age applicant. What do I need to be considered for admission to the UTAS MBBS program? - Ask Us - University of Tasmania, Australia

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone. Just checking in to see how UMAT preparation is going/not going and what everyone is getting up to over this extra year that UTAS have 'gifted' us ;)

I'm working, and studying, and house reno-ing and, every now and then, doing some UMAT study. I'm particularly trying to work on section one, but in reality, pretty much doing bits of everything. The end of July feels like ages away still, but then I realise it's already MAY!

Please remember that this thread is here if you have questions, want to vent, celebrate achievements, or, like me, procrastinate from starting awful assignments!

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
I haven't done much UMAT prep! I haven't even done 10 drills - they say that preparation doesn't help but that DOES NOT put my mind to ease.

Working hard to follow @LBoG's example and get a straight HD for my grade this year (somewhat succeeding at that too). ARGH! I can't believe there's only THREE MONTHS till the UMAT.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I definitely agree that prep (if you do any) has to be balanced with other factors, Med related and not. And GPA is definitely one of those things, particularly if you're planning to try for Universities that weight this, or going for graduate entry (GAMSAT) down the track.

@Yam immediate lead up might be a useful refresher, but I wouldn't be too worried about how much you are or aren't doing at the moment. If it becomes something you beat yourself up about, then you'll either never get to it, or you'll just feel bad when you do. That's not going to be of any benefit.

Only three months, yes, but also, still three months! Plenty of time to refresh (and panic!).

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Morning everyone!

Just checking in to say that UTAS open day is tomorrow. I'm planning to head to the tour of the medical sciences precinct and the presentation on studying Med. I have three reasons:

1. I've never really seen beyond the 'front of house' in the new medical sciences precinct.
2. I want to ask how GPA is calculated for people who have doctoral years amongst their most recent 3 full time equivalent semesters.
3. I want to try and get some clarity around the rural application process for non-standard applicants.

Is there anything else pressing?

biom

3. I want to try and get some clarity around the rural application process for non-standard applicants.
I just googled "glutton for punishment". It gave me a link to your post:)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I just googled "glutton for punishment". It gave me a link to your post:)

Tbh, not for me. As I've already mentioned, I don't believe it's of benefit to non-standards, but I'll be applying anyway (unless I get confirmation of this) because I have an application ready to go from last year that I can just tweak. I'd just like to have some clarity on the matter for the MSO Annals.

If anyone has other questions, I'm happy to ask them as well.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I can. I suspect I'll be confirming what we already know: that it is.

We had several MSO members post conditional offers in late Nov, early Dec last year. These conditional offers were moved to confirmed offers once their ATARs were released and they were informed at the time of conditional offer that they needed to receive an ATAR of 95.0+ to move to a confirmed offer.

I also spoke to a current Med Student who said ATAR was a hurdle set at 95.0.

Katherine

Hi everyone,

Just a few questions, with UTAS, do they give any advantage to those non standard students that studied in 'more' prestigious universities or degrees in repatuon to the GPA?

Also what other universities can non standard students apply for?

Thank you

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Just a few questions, with UTAS, do they give any advantage to those non standard students that studied in 'more' prestigious universities or degrees in repatuon to the GPA?
Unlikely, given that UTas is not itself a member of the Group of Eight. To do so would be an admission of sub-optimal education on their part.

Also what other universities can non standard students apply for?
Thank you

All undergraduate medicine universities other than Adelaide and Monash allow non-standards to apply (so thats UTas, Curtin, UWS, UNSW, JCU, JMP, and Bond).