UTAS MBBS 2018 Hopefuls

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by LMG!, Sep 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Geelongfanatic

Geelongfanatic Member

Thanks, I'm a little anxious about the whole bonded aspect, but I've been looking into it and it doesn't seem all that bad actually! I'm so pumped that I got an offer at all though!

2. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Yeah, bonded is legit no biggie. Especially for someone from Tas. Over 1/4 of all places are bonded and they get snapped up. Don't stress about it! Well done :D

3. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Can you please confirm which email address you received your offer notification from? Was it something like admissions(at)utas.etc or something different?

4. Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins UTAS MBBS I

admissions(at)utas.edu.au

LMG! likes this.
  5. biom

biom Regular Member

If you have not already seen this thread it might be of interest Bonded Medical Places - A Guide

6. Cookie

Cookie Guest

So all interstate applicants, regardless of being rural or non-rural, will be notified on Dec 20th?

7. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    No, highly unlikely in fact. Rural could be notified anytime between now and when classes start. Non-rural will be early (probably first week) of Jan.

Dec 20th is for Tassie school leavers.

8. Geelongfanatic

Geelongfanatic Member

Admissions@utas

9. Geelongfanatic

Geelongfanatic Member

Thanks, it is a really great help!!

10. LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA UTAS MBBS I

Afternoon y'all! I received a conditional offer from UTas yesterday afternoon. I am a non-standard applicant from an RA5 location on the mainland. This offer is conditional, depending on my academic performance this semester. My university results are yet to be released.

I accepted and enrolled in the course today. I am, however, wondering if anyone has an idea/knowledge of previous timelines, and is able to advise me, as to when I would find out if I officially have a place in the course.

LMG! likes this.
  11. Cookie

Cookie Guest

What was your UMAT?

Turkey likes this.
  12. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    There were no non-standards who received conditional offers last year, but from the school leavers, IIRC, they had their conditional offers confirmed in early Jan.

Congratulations on the offer! Have you applied/interviewed elsewhere? If not, or if UTAS is your first preference regardless, then yay! We will be classmates next year! If you need any info on Hobart or UTAS more generally, let me know :D

Turkey likes this.
  13. LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA UTAS MBBS I

Hey there! My UMAT score was 49/62/50, raw score: 161, percentile rank: 69

14. LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA UTAS MBBS I

Hey LMG! I believe congratulations are also in order for your offer as well! There's a whole dramatic backstory, but yes, UTAS was the only school I applied to for the 2018 intake year. I have never been to Tasmania and I'll probably have 24324234 questions over the coming weeks. Would it be okay if I sent you a private message at some point?

15. Turkey

Turkey Member

Congrats!! Do you guys think I would have a chance this year RA2, GPA6.5 and UMAT 180 (91%) 52/58/70
    It’s not great but I’m still hopeful

16. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    I think the only certain thing we can draw from what we've seen of UTAS RAP applications is that the written application is a HUGE factor and as unpredictable as individual interview performances or written applications for JCU. I initially thought I'd submitted a written application that was largely word for word the same as my unsuccessful 2016/17 application, but I've just remembered that there were some pretty key areas that I changed and definitely made more rurally focussed, so perhaps that's what's made the difference for me between this year and last year. I'm actually now of the opinion (for RAP applicants) that there's very little predicting we can do, as the written application isn't something we here can measure.

I definitely feel your frustration, last year drove us all a bit crazy. I think the only (painful) thing you can do is wait. From last year, I can also say that calling UTAS only increases frustration and can reduce certainty in the process due to very different information being given out, depending on who you speak to.

All the best, though!!

Turkey likes this.
  17. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Absolutely, please do!! I'll send you one actually, because you don't quite have enough forum posts. But please also still feel free to participate in the forums :D

18. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    I've been having a bit of a think about the predictability (or lack thereof)* of UTAS offers this year, particularly with reference to my own offer.

My offer was clearly specified to have come about via the rural pathway. The RAP information page makes it pretty clear (though is it??!) that all students are first considered via the regular pathway and only offered a RAP place if they're not eligible for a regular one. Keeping this fact in mind: I have to assume that my GPA 7.0/UMAT 98th%ile (198) wasn't going to cut it for a non-rural, non-standard offer this year... (which means we've already potentially gone up another 10+ UMAT marks since last year when it was already pretty high at 189). Will be interesting (and a lot less stressful than last year!) watching this all play out again...

(* biom that was for you ;))

19. biom

biom Regular Member

Thanks LMG! Indeed interesting.... there is someone somewhere in the med school with all of the info and it will make sense to them. However from the outside looking in it is hard to follow.

It is, to me, inconceivable that GPA 7 and UMAT 98th could already have been ruled out for the non-standard path. See you in Sydney when the UNSW interview comes though!

A couple of options.....

UTAS might have looked at the quality of applicants overall and decided to slot you in as rural and let them take some very good, but less highly ranked, applicants under the non-standard path.

Another possibility is that there are more BMedRes grads coming through into the first year of the MBBS this year. If true, this might have effectively closed the non-standard pathway. UTAS would likely not see this as an issue as it is anyway their strategy from 2019.

For any non-standard applicants reading this.... the comments above are only speculation. Don't let them discourage you. The one thing we know with UTAS, is that we don't know what will happen. LMG! put together some well researched views of the selection process earlier in the year.... and is now unpicking some aspects of them. Good luck!!

20. Bisque

Bisque Member

Hi! I'm from WA and got my offer during the week. If anyone else is planning on going to UTAS next year, feel free to hmu, never been to tas before and know no one there :lol:

UMAT: 50% lol
    ATAR : Predicted 97/98
    Entry: Rural
    Local: interstate
    Other Unis: Basically applied everywhere haha