Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS MBBS Applicants: General Discussion

LMG!

Admodistrator
I began my application last week and was about to submit today but I get this message:

"Attention Required: The course "Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery" at "Hobart Campus" for "2020" is no longer available, please make another course preference selection. "

I have mbbs bonded as first preference and then mbbs as second. I was wondering if its the bonded preference is the reason for the message but it didn't say bonded.

edit: is the "ID number provided by the Qualifications Authority" the LUI number (qld) or USI? I have entered the LUI because QTAC requires LUI instead of USI.
thanks
I agree with everyone else re. putting unbonded as your first preference (if there is an option to do so). Re. your application, I'd advise giving admissions a call tomorrow and asking to be put through to medicine admissions in particular. Explain the message that you got and ask for assistance on how to proceed and clarification on whether the two need to be preferenced separately.

Good luck!

Scope

Could someone please tell me more about the written application for UTAS.
Also would having extracurricular eg playing in U19 state badminton team make difference when it come to UCAT percentile
I am doing my UTAS application and not seen any written component as yet.

LMG!

Admodistrator
You only do a written component if you are a rural applicant. And no, extracurriculars have no impact on your UCAT percentile, not at UTas or anywhere else.

mc*

They have changed the rural form - so your not asked to answer and questions only about what schools, where you live and if you have completed/started any tertiary studies.

apk22

They have changed the rural form - so your not asked to answer and questions only about what schools, where you live and if you have completed/started any tertiary studies.
I noticed this too and thought it might be a mistake, does anyone else know anything about it?

LMG!

Admodistrator
I noticed this too and thought it might be a mistake, does anyone else know anything about it?
Given there are a couple of new things about the application process at UTAS this year, if there’s anything you’re not sure about, then your best bet is to call admissions and ask to be put through to Med admissions. Alternatively, the RAP office (located at the RCS) has an email address you can use to ask Rural application questions.

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hi. Im an interstate student with atar of 99.45. what are my chances for UTAS mbbs(they said they rank applicants on atar only and ucat is a threshold this year)
If the UCAT is a threshold and offers are on ATAR only (note: UTAS have not always been particularly transparent in their processes so this remains to be seen), then its impossible for us to say.

Speculation now: if they do use UCAT as a (relatively low) threshold and just rank applicants on ATAR, I’d imagine the ATAR requirement will be VERY high. Perhaps in-line with Griffith (~99.75), given the no interview component. Then add in the fact it’s direct entry and not provisional, and it’ll potentially be more appealing to some applicants. Adding to the possibly high ATAR requirements will be the relative lack of actual places on offer once international, rural, BMedRes, and local places are taken out of the 120 total.

Last edited:

If the UCAT is a threshold and offers are on ATAR only (note: UTAS have not always been particularly transparent in their processes so this remains to be seen), then its impossible for us to say.

Speculation now: if they do use UCAT as a (relatively low) threshold and just rank applicants on ATAR, I’d imagine the ATAR requirement will be VERY high. Perhaps in-line with Griffith (~99.75), given the no interview component. Then add in the fact it’s direct entry and not provisional, and it’ll potentially be more appealing to some applicants. Adding to the possibly high ATAR requirements will be the relatively lack of actual places on offer once international, rural, BMedRes, and local places are taken out of the 120 total.
What a ridiculous system 🙁

REGULAR JOE

Hi, i dont have the year 12 english prerequisite for the mbbs. Do you know any courses from the british council that would satisfy this english requirement?

LMG!

Admodistrator
Hi, i dont have the year 12 english prerequisite for the mbbs. Do you know any courses from the british council that would satisfy this english requirement?
UTAS have bridging courses you can do, including during summer school, for pre-requisite subjects. They'd be your best bet.