Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS MBBS Applicants: General Discussion

A1

Admissions Speculator
My year was 3. The year before was 2. If the Y2 fails forced the Y1 fails, this would happen every year, but it doesn’t.
Something doesn't gel here. The 2018 Y1 cohort was 98 so 95 + 14 repeats should make the 2019 Y2 cohort 109, but Med Deans show 104. I know the difference is only 5 but in the context of 20 or 3 fails it's not negligible. Maybe 5 took a gap year after Y1?

Do all universities allow you to repeat a year if you fail(eg-Flinders Med, Griffith Med Science,etc) or is this only allowed by certain unis for certain courses only?
Adding to LMG's reply I believe UQ provisional does not allow to fail an undergrad year, since you are required to complete the undergrad in its regular time frame. If you fail one/two units I presume you'd have to overload next to complete in time.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I'd imagine not all students that fail decide to repeat the year, and instead leave the program entirely?
That's already accounted for in LMG! 's "14 Y2 fails entered my Y2 (and 6 gap yeared or dropped out)". The 5 I referred to would be among the 95 Y1 passes that did not go on to Y2.

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
That's already accounted for in LMG! 's "14 Y2 fails entered my Y2 (and 6 gap yeared or dropped out)". The 5 I referred to would be among the 95 Y1 passes that did not go on to Y2.
If I’m understanding the year you’re talking about properly, two students in my Y1 passed but took a gap year so are Y2 this year (assuming they’re returning this year, I don’t know either of them well enough to know that yet).

REGULAR JOE

So I was recently told by UTAS that they had made a mistake in giving me an ATAR of 99.00, and that my correct ATAR was 99.95. I have applied to several scholarships that were based on academic merit, but I didn't receive one, likely because of my incorrect ATAR. Do you think it's too late to do anything about it?

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
hey guys utas said i am still on their waiting list, should i still have hope or its too late?
I know I’m the past they’ve sent out an email letting unsuccessful applicants know the cohort has been finalised. It’s usually around now-ish, so you may get notification, one way or the other, this week.

That said, when I was in first year, something like 4 people dropped out in week 1, so a week 2 offer is not unheard of (though is also not something to count on).