Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Now that my official role of UMATMBASSADOR has largely run its course for this admissions cycle, I'm switching back into my old hat; UTASMBASSADOR!

Those of you who were around this time last year (and up until about Feb, this year), will no doubt remember the s*** show that was UTAS MBBS 2017. Fingers crossed we've ironed out some of the understanding, particularly with regard to UTAS' updated entry requirements that only kicked in last year, and that this year will be smooth sailing! But let's not start holding our collective breath just yet...!

If you're a UTAS hopeful, please feel free to introduce yourself and share any info that might be useful if you have questions about your competitiveness, the course, living in Tassie, or anything else, to be honest!

I'll kick things off with my info:

UMAT: 61/73/64, raw score: 198, percentile rank: 98
GPA: 7.00
Entry: Non-standard
RAP eligible: Yes
Local: Yes
Other Unis: I have also applied to UNWS, JMP, and UWS, though UTAS is my preference by far.

For those of you wondering, I applied to UTAS last year with the same GPA and a UMAT of 183 (92nd percentile) and didn't even come close to an offer, but am hoping this new score will get me over the line.

Hi! I'm hopeful Tassie applicant, a little worried after UMAT came out! I've lived here all my life so if anyone needs to know info on Tassie I can help! Really hope I get in to UTAS so I can stay with who I know and at home another year!
My info:
UMAT: 52/59/40 raw score: 150 and percentile 50
Estimated ATAR: 98.8
Entry: Standard
Local: Yes
Rural: Yes (R3)
Other unis: JCU maybe Griffith

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Good luck to all on the UTAS roller coaster. It will be really interesting to see if the approach this year is similar to last.

@LMG if that UMAT is not good enough then they don't deserve you:)

Katherine

How many offers do UTAS offer, i know it depends on the number of applications, but does anyone know approx?
Thank you!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
How many offers do UTAS offer, i know it depends on the number of applications, but does anyone know approx?
Thank you!

There are 120 places (including 20 international). So 100 for non-international students. They'll make as many offers as they need to fill those spots.

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Thank you!
Katherine, Are you enquiring about standard or non-standard?

ETA - I see non-standard. Then the number is between 5 and 10. LMG! will have the exact number. Min UMAT last year was 96 for non-standards. LMG! will have the section details and shoe sizes.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Katherine, Are you enquiring about standard or non-standard?

If you're talking about non-standard, then there will be far more offers made than places that are accepted (as is the case for all) due to people rejecting offers. We have no idea how many people reject offers, so we have no idea how many actual offers are made. We know that, for last year, there ended up being about 5 non-standard students in the cohort.

UMAT: 64/60/73, raw score: 197, percentile rank: 98
ATAR/GPA: 95.40 ATAR, currently in first year university with HD average (WAM 88%)
Entry: Non-standard
RAP eligible: No
Local: From Victoria
Other Unis: Will apply everywhere I can, preference for UTAS

Firstly, congratulations to all, I have seen incredible results across the board.
Secondly, I was wondering what your thoughts would be on my results and their competitiveness for UTAS entry 2018? Thanks in advance :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
UMAT: 64/60/73, raw score: 197, percentile rank: 98
ATAR/GPA: 95.40 ATAR, currently in first year university with HD average (WAM 88%)
Entry:
Non-standard
RAP eligible: No
Local: From Victoria
Other Unis: Will apply everywhere I can, preference for UTAS

Firstly, congratulations to all, I have seen incredible results across the board.
Secondly, I was wondering what your thoughts would be on my results and their competitiveness for UTAS entry 2018? Thanks in advance :)

Ooh, your S2 is right on the borderline for non-standard at UTAS. If the chips fall the same way in 2018 as they did in 2017, then you're looking good for a UTAS offer. That's a pretty big if, to be honest! Haha! But it's the only info we have to go on, so we're running with it :)

Ooh, your S2 is right on the borderline for non-standard at UTAS. If the chips fall the same way in 2018 as they did in 2017, then you're looking good for a UTAS offer. That's a pretty big if, to be honest! Haha! But it's the only info we have to go on, so we're running with it :)

Haha yeah that S2 is suspense at its finest, fingers crossed at this point. Thanks for the reply! Goodluck to all :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Haha yeah that S2 is suspense at its finest, fingers crossed at this point. Thanks for the reply! Goodluck to all :)

Hopefully we are classmates next year! But also, if last year is anything to go by, we won't be finding this info out until very late Jan, early Feb.

ETA: If you don't mind me asking, why is UTAS your preference, by the way? It's mine because I live here, but I've heard some very awesome things about the course, so would also highly recommend it to others, but I'm interested in what draws other people here.

Hopefully we are classmates next year! But also, if last year is anything to go by, we won't be finding this info out until very late Jan, early Feb.

ETA: If you don't mind me asking, why is UTAS your preference, by the way? It's mine because I live here, but I've heard some very awesome things about the course, so would also highly recommend it to others, but I'm interested in what draws other people here.

Hopefully! That would be awesome :) Haha that is an incredibly long time to wait... I too have heard good things of Uni Tas, so that is always a draw. Aside from that I have some friends that went there this year to study (not medicine, but Law) so I would have people I know there to help with the transition of living out of home for the first time. From the accounts of my friends it appears to be a nice place to live and in terms of location it is the option that would be the most feasible to move to (with or without family) if I was given an opportunity to go there.

I

ipzoemattkat

Hi LMG,

Just a question if you don't mind, what was your section 2 score last year when you applied? I had a friend who was non-standard who received an offer and they were in the 80s for percentile but received over 60 in section 2 and also they were non rural, they had a degree at UNIMELB with quite an ok GPA, if that provides more info

Thanks.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG,

Just a question if you don't mind, what was your section 2 score last year when you applied? I had a friend who was non-standard who received an offer and they were in the 80s for percentile but received over 60 in section 2 and also they were non rural, they had a degree at UNIMELB with quite an ok GPA, if that provides more info

Thanks.

My S2 last year was 66.

Your story above flies in the face of ALL the information collected here at MSO last year (and there ended up being quite a bit of it for UTAS non-standard applicants in particular). Just to clarify, your friend applied to UTAS last year with a UMAT in the 80s, they were a non-standard applicant (ie. had at least started a degree elsewhere) and were non-rural? Are they attending UTAS this year?

I

ipzoemattkat

My S2 last year was 66.

Your story above flies in the face of ALL the information collected here at MSO last year (and there ended up being quite a bit of it for UTAS non-standard applicants in particular). Just to clarify, your friend applied to UTAS last year with a UMAT in the 80s, they were a non-standard applicant (ie. had at least started a degree elsewhere) and were non-rural? Are they attending UTAS this year?

Yep they had completed a full degree, so they received 88th percentile but she cant remember her section 2 score, she declined the offer in the end, it was a very late offer, so she thought she hadn't gotten in and had already planned to study further in Melbourne.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yep they had completed a full degree, so they received 88th percentile but she cant remember her section 2 score, she declined the offer in the end, it was a very late offer, so she thought she hadn't gotten in and had already planned to study further in Melbourne.

I know this sounds really harsh, but I kinda don't believe her. There were MULTIPLE people here at MSO with UMATs in the 90s and S2 scores in the 60s who did not get offers. I can name half a dozen off the top of my head. Including myself with 92nd %ile, S2:66, GPA: 7.0.

Not to mention, a friend who DID get an offer with a UMAT of 96th %ile (S2 60+), GPA: 6.5+, got hers 3 days before the course started and believes she was the last (and therefore lowest scoring) non-standard student who received an offer for 2017 entry.

I

ipzoemattkat

I know this sounds really harsh, but I kinda don't believe her. There were MULTIPLE people here at MSO with UMATs in the 90s and S2 scores in the 60s who did not get offers. I can name half a dozen off the top of my head. Including myself with 92nd %ile, S2:66, GPA: 7.0.

Not to mention, a friend who DID get an offer with a UMAT of 96th %ile (S2 60+), GPA: 6.5+, got hers 3 days before the course started and believes she was the last (and therefore lowest scoring) non-standard student who received an offer for 2017 entry.

No that's ok, from that information it sounds like she was, I don't know why though! thank you for the information!

Katherine

I wonder if the UNI you were studying at makes a difference at all?
I was just wondering how it is best to calculate a GPA, my situation is a bit complicated, as I had to work fulltime so only studied 3 subjects for two of the 3 last semesters, do I include them in my calculation?

Also I didn't realise that offers were that late, it makes it difficult if you are interstate... hmm

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I wonder if the UNI you were studying at makes a difference at all?
I was just wondering how it is best to calculate a GPA, my situation is a bit complicated, as I had to work fulltime so only studied 3 subjects for two of the 3 last semesters, do I include them in my calculation?

Also I didn't realise that offers were that late, it makes it difficult if you are interstate... hmm

UTAS have confirmed that the uni you study at makes no difference UNLESS you're studying BMedRes AT UTAS.

IIRC, UTAS will use the last three semesters, full time equivalent, for your GPA. So if you only studied three units for two of your last three semesters, then they'll also include some units from your fourth most recent semester (etc, until they have 3 semesters full time equivalent to calculate from).

ETA: As for non-standard offers, if you have a crazy UMAT (last year it was 100th percentile, or very, very high 99th) then they're super early (November!). The rest of the offers weren't until late, unfortunately, with the middle bit presumably consumed with offers to school leavers.

ETA2: iMMO had a UMAT of 97th percentile last year, and got his offer on the 1st of Feb (as a rough guide).

Katherine

UTAS have confirmed that the uni you study at makes no difference UNLESS you're studying BMedRes AT UTAS.

IIRC, UTAS will use the last three semesters, full time equivalent, for your GPA. So if you only studied three units for two of your last three semesters, then they'll also include some units from your fourth most recent semester (etc, until they have 3 semesters full time equivalent to calculate from).

ETA: As for non-standard offers, if you have a crazy UMAT (last year it was 100th percentile, or very, very high 99th) then they're super early (November!). The rest of the offers weren't until late, unfortunately, with the middle bit presumably consumed with offers to school leavers.

ETA2: iMMO had a UMAT of 97th percentile last year, and got his offer on the 1st of Feb (as a rough guide).

oh ok, you are full of info! thank you so much! :)

Woah 1st of Feb, I was looking at offers in the previous year and it wasn't as competitive, should have applied back then haha!

Also do the bonded offers make much of a difference, I assume that they are just as competitive?

Thank you again I really appreciate all of your information!