Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

Hi LMG,
I noticed you were the UTAS moderator and I just had a few questions about med course. I recently got an offer from MBBS and accepted it (soooo happy) but before that i'd also accepted med research. I would like to withdraw from that but I don't know who to email. I called UTAS and they gave me this address: [email protected] . i was wondering whether this was correct, since I couldnt find this contact anywhere online?
Also I got a bonded medical place and haven't recieved any forms for that yet? Will they email me or do i need to contact them soon? and same with the police check, working with children, immunisations forms etc? when does all that need to be filled in by?
Sorry I have sooo many questions just so excited to start the course touchwood. :')

Tealover

Non-standards, in general (not just interstate) are no longer a thing. But there were only 4 or 5 of us in my year (2018 intake) anyway, so between the increase in BMedRes guaranteed entry intake and the hugely increased interstate school leaver offers, they certainly seem to be catering for more than just 5 places, so who knows!!

If you are a UTas BMedRes student, does this mean you need to do 8 years of study?

(Edited by moderator because complete sentences are preferable when asking questions in the forum.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If UTas BMedRes needs do 8 years?

Yes and no. While enrolled in the UTAS BMedRes you can continue to vie for competitive entry and hope for transfer following yr 1 or 2 (and also can continue applying for non-standard Med elsewhere, ie. JMP, WSU). You can also use your BMedRes to apply for grad Med at a GAMSAT uni. But if you’re in the guaranteed entry pathway and don’t manage to transfer earlier, then yes, 8 years.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
How do I view the classlist for 2019?

If you have an offer and have enrolled, you should be able to go into MyLO and look at ‘groups’, this should give you the current class list.

ETA: also, if you’d be happy to share, could you reply to the general offer thread with your offer details so I can add them to the list. Thank you!

If you have an offer and have enrolled, you should be able to go into MyLO and look at ‘groups’, this should give you the current class list.

ETA: also, if you’d be happy to share, could you reply to the general offer thread with your offer details so I can add them to the list. Thank you!

I can only access a Pathology resources page on MyLO, with a classlist I can view but no groups found.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I can only access a Pathology resources page on MyLO, with a classlist I can view but no groups found.

I’m not 100% sure because I’m not going into first year and therefore have different access to you. Ammiecat may be able to help? She has found the first year classlist on MyLO.

How many people are in the Pathology resource classlist? I doubt that will help though, because I think that’s available to all years.

ETA: I just checked the Pathology resource classlist myself. It does include all students. Do you have access to CAM101? Check the classlist for that. It should have ‘opened’ for access on Jan 01st, at least it did for us last year, and my impression from what Ammiecat said was that it did for her, too, this year.

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure because I’m not going into first year and therefore have different access to you. Ammiecat may be able to help? She has found the first year classlist on MyLO.

How many people are in the Pathology resource classlist? I doubt that will help though, because I think that’s available to all years.

ETA: I just checked the Pathology resource classlist myself. It does include all students. Do you have access to CAM101? Check the classlist for that. It should have ‘opened’ for access on Jan 01st, at least it did for us last year, and my impression from what Ammiecat said was that it did for her, too, this year.

Looks like it just took a while to update, I have access to CAM101 now and can view the classlist.

O

OptimistPrime

Can confirm it takes about 20 hours after enrolment/MyLO registration before you can see CAM101/102 in your units.

Funny that it's showing 80 enrolled for CAM101 but only 76 for CAM 102 (they forgot to enrol for semester 2?!)

Hey can someone please help me out? I know this sounds really stupid but im worried I wont make any friends or feel awkward/lonely during O-week and start of semester at UTAS? How can i overcome these feelings? Im really nervous and scared to be living away from home without my usual friends and routine. Sorry for such a silly question :( im genuinely kinda scared

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can confirm it takes about 20 hours after enrolment/MyLO registration before you can see CAM101/102 in your units.

Funny that it's showing 80 enrolled for CAM101 but only 76 for CAM 102 (they forgot to enrol for semester 2?!)

It’s not compulsory to enrol for both semesters at once. They’ll just get a reminder prior to semester two to enrol in that. I’d be more concerned if the figures were the other way around :D

Hey can someone please help me out? I know this sounds really stupid but im worried I wont make any friends or feel awkward/lonely during O-week and start of semester at UTAS? How can i overcome these feelings? Im really nervous and scared to be living away from home without my usual friends and routine. Sorry for such a silly question :( im genuinely kinda scared

It’s really hard to reassure you about this prior, but I can guarantee it will take you no time at all to mingle. I also didn’t know anyone except a few people I ‘knew’ from MSO, and it didn’t matter at all.

When will you be arriving in Hobart? I’d be more than happy to meet with you and show you around a bit beforehand so you can familiarise yourself. I might even be able to organise a small MSO meet up just prior to orientation if anyone would be interested.

Will you be staying in UTAS accommodation? That will be another source for meeting people. Between that and MSO, you definitely won’t have to start orientation not knowing anyone :)

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG,
I noticed you were the UTAS moderator and I just had a few questions about med course. I recently got an offer from MBBS and accepted it (soooo happy) but before that i'd also accepted med research. I would like to withdraw from that but I don't know who to email. I called UTAS and they gave me this address: [email protected] . i was wondering whether this was correct, since I couldnt find this contact anywhere online?
Also I got a bonded medical place and haven't recieved any forms for that yet? Will they email me or do i need to contact them soon? and same with the police check, working with children, immunisations forms etc? when does all that need to be filled in by?
Sorry I have sooo many questions just so excited to start the course touchwood. :')

Hello hello! I missed this the other day, apologies! Do you still have any of the same questions I can help with? Also, check out my overview page, I mention the police check stuff etc there.

Thanks LMG! That is super reassuring, I don't know why i get so anxious about these little things. And im going to be at Jane Franklin most likely unless I get accepted into the Midcity apartments. So Im arriving on the 17th because theres a rural O week commencing from the 18th apparently. It would be great to meet up during this week! The meet up idea sounds great. and yes, the same questions apply though im not as worried for that as im sure most of this info will be given out during o week right? and sorry i have no idea how to check the over view page? many thanks for all your help

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG! That is super reassuring, I don't know why i get so anxious about these little things. And im going to be at Jane Franklin most likely unless I get accepted into the Midcity apartments. So Im arriving on the 17th because theres a rural O week commencing from the 18th apparently. It would be great to meet up during this week! The meet up idea sounds great. and yes, the same questions apply though im not as worried for that as im sure most of this info will be given out during o week right? and sorry i have no idea how to check the over view page? many thanks for all your help

The relevant UTAS threads are all here: Tasmania

The overview one is the third from the top.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can anyone who'd be interested in a 'meet up' prior to orientation, please let me know by replying to this comment, perhaps including the date you're arriving in Hobart if you're coming from elsewhere in the state or interstate.

O

OptimistPrime

Can anyone who'd be interested in a 'meet up' prior to orientation, please let me know by replying to this comment, perhaps including the date you're arriving in Hobart if you're coming from elsewhere in the state or interstate.

I'll be arriving ~3rd Feb from Vic if everything goes according to plan!
(Not 100% sure about this though.. but's that's when my accommodation starts so I might as well make the most of it and get tassing)