Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

D

Deleted member 35034

I remember having to do it last year. Have you logged into MyLO? Don’t worry about the due date, there will still be people getting offers so it’s not like the date is hard and fast. But you will definitely have to do it. It is very, very straight forward and is not marked. It is a hurdle requirement and forms the basis of a one on one meeting you’ll have with a student support representative in the first couple of weeks.

Thanks LMG. I have checked MyLO and its not there. I haven't seen anything on it. Just as a side note, not sure how many more offers are going out as the class/cohort enrollments seem to be over 130 already.

Edit: the PPD is now appearing in MyLO after logging out and logging back in; but the first component of it is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG. I have checked MyLO and its not there. I haven't seen anything on it. Just as a side note, not sure how many more offers are going out as the class/cohort enrollments seem to be over 130 already.

Over 130? Yikes! I know some people are still dual enrolled and likely to withdraw, but that still seems crazy, it never got that high last year.

Are you filtering so only students are included? It will default to including staff, too.

D

Deleted member 35034

Over 130? Yikes! I know some people are still dual enrolled and likely to withdraw, but that still seems crazy, it never got that high last year.

Are you filtering so only students are included? It will default to including staff, too.

I haven't tallied it properly, it was just a glance at the number of pages so I must be overestimating if staff and others are included. So please ignore my comments based on that.

Edit: Just checking CAM101 by default group it states 131. I don't know how to flag students v's staff.

Ammiecat

UoN MD Y4
Is this a rural student thing? Because I've heard nothing about this

I'm not rural. I'm Indigenous pathway :)
Like LMG! said, I wouldn't worry too much if you have checked your UTAS email and haven't received it, it's not your fault.

Could call them if you have the time?

Yup, that's what I was hinting at LMG - good luck MSlovescats. Wish it were me, too! :)
But I have to move to Queensland for that. :(
Hey DarkLordTorkoal , just confirming when u received the BMP email from Cate Rejman did you only have 4 documents attached to the email? I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything before I start the application :)

D

Deleted member 35034

Hey DarkLordTorkoal , just confirming when u received the BMP email from Cate Rejman did you only have 4 documents attached to the email? I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything before I start the application :)

Hi MSlovescats, yep, it was only the four documents. It consisted of the Bonded Application Form, 2019 Guidelines Document, 2019 Information Letter in PDF, and a Bonded Handy Hints word document. I believe that was all that was meant to be received.

However, the PPD document received via MyLO was missing the semester 1 component.

Good luck!

Hi MSlovescats, yep, it was only the four documents. It consisted of the Bonded Application Form, 2019 Guidelines Document, 2019 Information Letter in PDF, and a Bonded Handy Hints word document. I believe that was all that was meant to be received.

However, the PPD document received via MyLO was missing the semester 1 component.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot, yes that’s all I received. Sorry but what do you mean by “PPD document received via MyLO was missing sem1 component”? What PPD document? When I log into MyLO nothing of the sort comes up? And what semester one component?

D

Deleted member 35034

Thanks a lot, yes that’s all I received. Sorry but what do you mean by “PPD document received via MyLO was missing sem1 component”? What PPD document? When I log into MyLO nothing of the sort comes up? And what semester one component?

Sorry for any confusion. The PPD was raised above in this thread as some people had received reminders about it (I never did). But I found it was accessible in MyLO under assessments, although I never had the first semester component appearing for me. So I haven't seen it or completed it. Its not something to stress about, just mentioned it in case you hadn't received it either.

Ammiecat gave a brief description of it in her post:

Ammiecat said:

"The PDP is a document that was sent out last week that has some interview questions about yourself and your goals for the year etc. It was sent to your UTAS email I presume as it was sent to mine. Sent from "Anne Barker". It was due on Monday the 21st. I'm sure if you explain you were away and will get to it ASAP they'll be fine with it :)"

Sorry for any confusion. The PPD was raised above in this thread as some people had received reminders about it (I never did). But I found it was accessible in MyLO under assessments, although I never had the first semester component appearing for me. So I haven't seen it or completed it. Its not something to stress about, just mentioned it in case you hadn't received it either.

Ammiecat gave a brief description of it in her post:

Ammiecat said:

"The PDP is a document that was sent out last week that has some interview questions about yourself and your goals for the year etc. It was sent to your UTAS email I presume as it was sent to mine. Sent from "Anne Barker". It was due on Monday the 21st. I'm sure if you explain you were away and will get to it ASAP they'll be fine with it :)"
Aah yes, thanks so much for clearing that up. I’ve already submitted that assignment. Have you submitted your BMP smart form yet? I did but I was unable to submit it online so I had to email it to them instead. I don’t know why the whole thing is so complex tbh :’)

D

Deleted member 35034

Aah yes, thanks so much for clearing that up. I’ve already submitted that assignment. Have you submitted your BMP smart form yet? I did but I was unable to submit it online so I had to email it to them instead. I don’t know why the whole thing is so complex tbh :’)

Glad to hear you sorted it all out! You can relax now and get ready to start medicine! :)
No, I haven't completed either task yet. I never got the assignment to begin with and, after a torrid time trying to communicate with UTas, I am now re-evaluating my decision to go to UTas; so, no, I haven't sent the BMP application in.

Glad to hear you sorted it all out! You can relax now and get ready to start medicine! :)
No, I haven't completed either task yet. I never got the assignment to begin with and, after a torrid time trying to communicate with UTas, I am now re-evaluating my decision to go to UTas; so, no, I haven't sent the BMP application in.
Awww that’s a real pity, I sincerely hope you come down to UTAS!! Are you a local or from interstate, and if so which other unis are you considering? And agreed, it can be quite frustrating communicating with the Uni’s and these forms and stuff really don’t make it any easier. But it’s gotta be done I guess !

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
after a torrid time trying to communicate with UTas, I am now re-evaluating my decision to go to UTas
Obviously you should choose whatever uni you feel is best for you, but don't let administrative issues influence your view on a university or whether you want to go there or not; as a general rule, medical school administration are terrible across the board and you're likely to encounter issues at some point or another wherever you end up. I'm only one week in and my cohort has already had a whole heap of problems with our admin - it's definitely not unique to UTas!

D

Deleted member 35034

Awww that’s a real pity, I sincerely hope you come down to UTAS!! Are you a local or from interstate, and if so which other unis are you considering? And agreed, it can be quite frustrating communicating with the Uni’s and these forms and stuff really don’t make it any easier. But it’s gotta be done I guess !

Thanks MSlovescats. I'm not from Tassie, I'm from WA - hope that doesn't count against me in Tassie. :) My current main other option is a UQ offer, unbonded and with a decent scholarship. Although I still have my plan B (if I had to go the graduate entry route) at UWA which comes with a large scholarship.

But right at this moment, the only two medicine offers I have in hand are UTas or UQ.
With UQ being the standout in regards to professional service/communication.

O

OptimistPrime

DarkLordTorkoal could you explain the "professional service/communication" comment? If you're talking about their phone line it shouldn't reflect the course too much. Personally I'd recommend UTas so you don't have the stress of having to get the grades for UQ provisional! Also you'll be done years earlier. Or did you mean something else about the communication?

D

Deleted member 35034

Obviously you should choose whatever uni you feel is best for you, but don't let administrative issues influence your view on a university or whether you want to go there or not; as a general rule, medical school administration are terrible across the board and you're likely to encounter issues at some point or another wherever you end up. I'm only one week in and my cohort has already had a whole heap of problems with our admin - it's definitely not unique to UTas!

Thanks Crow. I always appreciate hearing your grounded opinion/view. It's also good to hear there are examples of admin issues across other universities. And you are right, administrative issues shouldn't influence your university choice. However, in this particular case, it has been extremely poor and over an extended period. But, to be fair, I'll give it a little more time and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice...hope you weren't personally affected by the admin issues affecting your cohort.

D

Deleted member 35034

DarkLordTorkoal could you explain the "professional service/communication" comment? If you're talking about their phone line it shouldn't reflect the course too much. Personally I'd recommend UTas so you don't have the stress of having to get the grades for UQ provisional! Also you'll be done years earlier. Or did you mean something else about the communication?

Hi OptimistPrime, I hope you had a great time camping!

Thanks for asking for clarification. I should point out, I'm not trying to talk down UTas in anyway at all. Everything you say about UTas is true. UTas is a great university with a very professional medicine program; and it's shorter! Nothing I have said here should reflect on the medical school at all. I'm just saying I've had trouble with formal email (and e-forms) replies. Mostly, it's been a case of no reply at all and sometimes a merry go round of emails. I don't want to make an issue of this, for risk of appearing to criticise UTas medicine, so I'll just leave it at that.

Based on your comments - does this mean you have chosen to go to UTas over your other offers?

Well, thanks for the advice. In the meantime we should be enjoying this sunny long weekend and not talking about tedious admin! :)

O

OptimistPrime

DarkLordTorkoal I think it's LMG! who's camping haha
I'm going with Monash because it's my home state and it's the only uni where I applied for scholarships, but I think both are great options! (I declined UQ very quickly in favour of these two)

Edit: whoops didn't realise I'd mentioned I was camping, but yes it's true :D

D

Deleted member 35034

DarkLordTorkoal I think it's LMG! who's camping haha
I'm going with Monash because it's my home state and it's the only uni where I applied for scholarships, but I think both are great options! (I declined UQ very quickly in favour of these two)

I got a text message saying my Personal Development Portfolio (PDP) was overdue, but I'm camping at the moment.. I don't really know what it is and how urgent it is :O

Sorry, I thought you were camping based on your earlier message saying you were camping at the moment. No prob - hope you had fun whatever you did! :)

Good to see you have chosen your uni and Monash sounds a great choice. Plus you have the bonus of a scholarship! :yay:

D

Deleted member 35034

Hi OptimistPrime, I hope you had a great time camping!

Thanks for asking for clarification. I should point out, I'm not trying to talk down UTas in anyway at all. Everything you say about UTas is true. UTas is a great university with a very professional medicine program; and it's shorter! Nothing I have said here should reflect on the medical school at all. I'm just saying I've had trouble with formal email (and e-forms) replies. Mostly, it's been a case of no reply at all and sometimes a merry go round of emails. I don't want to make an issue of this, for risk of appearing to criticise UTas medicine, so I'll just leave it at that.

Based on your comments - does this mean you have chosen to go to UTas over your other offers?

Well, thanks for the advice. In the meantime we should be enjoying this sunny long weekend and not talking about tedious admin! :)

I just wanted to give a quick update in relation to my above comments regarding UTas admin responses. I have now had all admin issues resolved by UTas and have had them resolved to complete satisfaction. I'm now very happy with UTas and their admin processes overall. Anyone receiving a late offer to UTas can rest assured, they do follow up and do listen - well they did at least for this lowly student. Anyway, if you do get a late offer - accept it with confidence. Good luck. :)

hs2000

Hi all.

I just got my enrolment package and the PDF about getting immunisations, police check, first aid certificate etc.. Under the first aid certificate for point it says ‘RAP Entry students will also be provided a course during their pre-Orientation session’.

Does this means that I, a rural application process entry student, don’t have to organise my own first aid course, and that the Uni organises one for me?