Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

D

Deleted member 35034

Hi all.

I just got my enrolment package and the PDF about getting immunisations, police check, first aid certificate etc.. Under the first aid certificate for point it says ‘RAP Entry students will also be provided a course during their pre-Orientation session’.

Does this means that I, a rural application process entry student, don’t have to organise my own first aid course, and that the Uni organises one for me?

My understanding was that UTas provide "rural" entry students with a first aid training course prior to commencement or during orientation period. So - no, you don't have to organise it yourself if you are RAP.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi all.

I just got my enrolment package and the PDF about getting immunisations, police check, first aid certificate etc.. Under the first aid certificate for point it says ‘RAP Entry students will also be provided a course during their pre-Orientation session’.

Does this means that I, a rural application process entry student, don’t have to organise my own first aid course, and that the Uni organises one for me?

They do organise it for you if you are a rural or international student, but ONLY if you are attending all five days of the extended orientation. Actual orientation is only three days (Wed-Fri), but rural and international students can attend two additional days (Mon & Tues). Last year, Mon was some additional orientation to Hobart, and Tues was first aide certificate. If you’re not attending those two extra days, even if you’re a rural applicant, you’ll have to organise your own first aide.

ETA: This is from personal experience, as I was a RAP student who missed the Mon & Tues last year (I was in Hawaii!!), so I had to organise my own FAC.

paul S

They do organise it for you if you are a rural or international student, but ONLY if you are attending all five days of the extended orientation. Actual orientation is only three days (Wed-Fri), but rural and international students can attend two additional days (Mon & Tues). Last year, Mon was some additional orientation to Hobart, and Tues was first aide certificate. If you’re not attending those two extra days, even if you’re a rural applicant, you’ll have to organise your own first aide.

ETA: This is from personal experience, as I was a RAP student who missed the Mon & Tues last year (I was in Hawaii!!), so I had to organise my own FAC.
Hi LMG,
For an interstate student any point in going to Hobart prior to Tuesday as the orientation is on Wed. Flights are booked for Sunday as was expecting to start orientation on Monday. Can the interstate students attend Monday & Tuesday orientation ?
Thanks in advance.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi LMG,
For an interstate student any point in going to Hobart prior to Tuesday as the orientation is on Wed. Flights are booked for Sunday as was expecting to start orientation on Monday. Can the interstate students attend Monday & Tuesday orientation ?
Thanks in advance.
LMG! is on a 2-week placement at the moment with limited internet access - a reply make take a while, so you know.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG,
Thanks in advance.

I believe the Mon and Tues are for rural and international students, but definitely get in contact and see if you can attend if you’re going to be there anyway, as the Tues is a freebie First Aid course (assuming it’s the same as last year).

Imposter

Lurker
Hi,
Just a quick question. The compliance instructions mention that there will be an interview at some point during the orientation. Is it possible to have some more information on that? As in, is it like a pre-admission interview? hat should I expect before going into it?
Thanks for the help in advance.

D

Deleted member 35034

Hi,
Just a quick question. The compliance instructions mention that there will be an interview at some point during the orientation. Is it possible to have some more information on that? As in, is it like a pre-admission interview? hat should I expect before going into it?

I had thought it was simply going over your Personal Development Profile assignment that was submitted before orientation. I could be wrong but it sounded more like a general discussion rather than an interview. It wouldn't be something you need to prepare for - other than taking along a copy of your document to refer to, if you wish.

Are rural entry pathway students meant to attend orientation tomorrow to complete the first aid course? The Compliance Instructions PDF sent by Anne Barker states "International Students will be given access to a free First Aid course in the two days prior to commencement of Orientation Week. RAP Entry students will also be provided a course during their pre-Orientation session"
Does this mean a Monday or Wednesday start for RAP students?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are rural entry pathway students meant to attend orientation tomorrow to complete the first aid course? The Compliance Instructions PDF sent by Anne Barker states "International Students will be given access to a free First Aid course in the two days prior to commencement of Orientation Week. RAP Entry students will also be provided a course during their pre-Orientation session"
Does this mean a Monday or Wednesday start for RAP students?

It’s a Monday start for RAP students if you want to do the first aide.

Hi,

It’s a completely casual chat based on your answers to the PDP task 1. Absolutely nothing at all to stress about and even less need to prepare for it. It isn’t anything like the pre-admission interviews/MMIs, etc. :D

John99

I have only seen one BMedRes rural student with a UMAT of 60% report an offer to study medicine at UTAS. I know a few non-rurals who achieved the hurdle GPA of 6.0+ with UMATs in the mid-high 90's who did not get an offer. I feel like the BMedRes pathway is a scam. Does anyone know of any other offers via this pathway?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I have only seen one BMedRes rural student with a UMAT of 60% report an offer to study medicine at UTAS. I know a few non-rurals who achieved the hurdle GPA of 6.0+ with UMATs in the mid-high 90's who did not get an offer. I feel like the BMedRes pathway is a scam. Does anyone know of any other offers via this pathway?
IIRC someone asked UTAS directly and they said there were no offers made to non-rural students through this pathway - perhaps reported in the offers thread somewhere a month or so ago? LMG! should know.

Indeed, it seems even with incredibly high scores they didn’t make any offers, which makes it very difficult to see the value in using this pathway as an attempt to get into med (assuming one doesn’t have guaranteed entry).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
In news that will surprise no-one who was here for offers time last year; it has been confirmed that UTAS over-offered incorrectly for the 2019 intake, resulting in a current first year cohort of 136 students (they are only meant to have 120). In addition, the failure rate for second year students in 2018 has led to a current second year cohort of also 136 (up from 118 enrolled in first year in 2018, 116 of whom passed).

Given limits on clinical placement opportunities and internships, etc, I wonder if this will be ‘managed’ by increasing the pass mark for the current first year cohort in particular?

D

Deleted member 35034

In news that will surprise no-one who was here for offers time last year; it has been confirmed that UTAS over-offered incorrectly for the 2019 intake, resulting in a current first year cohort of 136 students (they are only meant to have 120). In addition, the failure rate for second year students in 2018 has led to a current second year cohort of also 136 (up from 118 enrolled in first year in 2018, 116 of whom passed).

Given limits on clinical placement opportunities and internships, etc, I wonder if this will be ‘managed’ by increasing the pass mark for the current first year cohort in particular?

Hi LMG,
Is that an unusual failure rate for UTAS (or other uni)?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG,
Is that an unusual failure rate for UTAS (or other uni)?

Second year has a reputation as being the one with the highest fail rate on first attempt (at UTAS), but I do think that was slightly higher than normal. The overall, fail to complete the degree altogether, rate at UTAS is pretty low if I recall correctly (from historical data posted by Mana).

D

Deleted member 35034

Second year has a reputation as being the one with the highest fail rate on first attempt (at UTAS), but I do think that was slightly higher than normal. The overall, fail to complete the degree altogether, rate at UTAS is pretty low if I recall correctly (from historical data posted by Mana).

Thanks LMG. Just an anomaly then?
If they have a good pass rate reputation (normally), wouldn't they want to maintain that rather than increasing the pass rate (and failure rate) for first year to counter increasing cohort numbers? Seems a self defeating process.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG. Just an anomaly then?
If they have a good pass rate reputation (normally), wouldn't they want to maintain that rather than increasing the pass rate (and failure rate) for first year to counter increasing cohort numbers? Seems a self defeating process.

Depends whether they have a choice! To reiterate, this part is just speculation. I have no idea how they’ll actually chose to manage it. Long story short is they have 16 too many students, regardless of pass/fail rates. Maybe they can absorb that, maybe they can’t.

D

Deleted member 35034

Depends whether they have a choice! To reiterate, this part is just speculation. I have no idea how they’ll actually chose to manage it. Long story short is they have 16 too many students, regardless of pass/fail rates. Maybe they can absorb that, maybe they can’t.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you were doing anything other than speculating. I was just thinking out loud myself - half wondering if the over enrolments were intentional to cover attrition rates (considering the fail rate in the recent second year); or whether they were seeking to have their quota increased permanently. But, perhaps I'm wrong on both speculations and 16 over enrolments is a simple clerical error.

I have a personal interest in their cohort size, and their management of that, so I was curious about the reasons for their numbers and the consequences over the next year. I think I was one of the first to mention during offers last year that they were already over 131 enrolments, so I've tried to maintain awareness of it for personal reasons. Be interesting to see how many they offer this year for 2020.

Again, apologies if my original comment seemed to suggest you were doing anymore than speculating in the context of a discussion forum. Thanks for your reply.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you were doing anything other than speculating. I was just thinking out loud myself - half wondering if the over enrolments were intentional to cover attrition rates (considering the fail rate in the recent second year); or whether they were seeking to have their quota increased permanently. But, perhaps I'm wrong on both speculations and 16 over enrolments is a simple clerical error.

I have a personal interest in their cohort size, and their management of that, so I was curious about the reasons for their numbers and the consequences over the next year. I think I was one of the first to mention during offers last year that they were already over 131 enrolments, so I've tried to maintain awareness of it for personal reasons. Be interesting to see how many they offer this year for 2020.

Again, apologies if my original comment seemed to suggest you were doing anymore than speculating in the context of a discussion forum. Thanks for your reply.

Nah, all good. And it was definitely a clerical error. Second round offers went out before first round offers had been accepted/rejected. I believe (this part is now second hand info) that some people who had not responded to offers had them rescinded (in an attempt by UTAS to rectify the situation immediately?) but they protested and were eventually allowed to enrol.

D

Deleted member 35034

Thanks LMG.
At least UTAS made good on their error as it would be devastating to have your offer rescinded. Good luck to all 136.