Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
I have a personal interest in their cohort size, and their management of that, so I was curious about the reasons for their numbers and the consequences over the next year.

Apart from clinical placement issues a med quota has two aspects to it : funding by federal government and guaranteed internships by state government. I believe UTas quota of 120 is about 100 domestic + 20 international. If UTas admitted 116 domestic instead the med school may receive federal funding only for 100, and if they are going to graduate all 116 the Tas gov can tell UTas to take care of internships for the surplus 16.

Otoh if the 136 is 100 domestic + 36 int'l then UTas is rolling in extra money :D

D

Deleted member 35034

Apart from clinical placement issues a med quota has two aspects to it : funding by federal government and guaranteed internships by state government. I believe UTas quota of 120 is about 100 domestic + 20 international. If UTas admitted 116 domestic instead the med school may receive federal funding only for 100, and if they are going to graduate all 116 the Tas gov can tell UTas to take care of internships for the surplus 16.

Thanks for the clarification LMG - I was wondering how the international numbers contributed to the quota and how it all plays out for internships. Your info helps a lot. Looks like a bit of challenge for UTAS (and the students). I assume the internationals don't compete for the same internships.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks LMG.
At least UTAS made good on their error as it would be devastating to have your offer rescinded. Good luck to all 136.

Reading back, I’ve framed this unfairly. UTAS sent second round offers out before they’d heard back from first round offer students (I said this bit) BUT, at the same time, students missed the accept/decline cut off date (I didn’t emphasise this bit). So UTAS were probably kinder than they needed to be. Do other unis chase up students before the cut off? I think WSU chased me up, but I can’t actually remember. I also can’t remember how clearly UTAS emphasised the need to reply one way or another before a specific date, I guess it may not have been super clear?

Either way, hopefully they have things sorted for 2020 entry!

ETA: A1, my understanding is that the 16 extra are domestic students.

ETA2: just looked at my offer letter for 2018 entry and it was super clear on that one that there was a deadline, but obviously I have no idea what it was like for 2019 entry.

A1

Rookie Doc
I assume the internationals don't compete for the same internships.

The state governments have signed the COAG agreement to provide internships for each state's CSP graduates. If they fail to provide enough I imagine the federal gov would start cutting back their CSP quotas.

I'm not sure about Tas but in the case of NSW, Vic, Qld, WA the state govs have been offering more internships than their CSP numbers, these extra places go to int'l graduates. Even if the Tas gov offers only 100 internships to match the CSP quota, many UTas graduates from interstate will want to return to their home states to intern thus free up some places for the int'l graduates.

D

Deleted member 35034

Reading back, I’ve framed this unfairly. UTAS sent second round offers out before they’d heard back from first round offer students (I said this bit) BUT, at the same time, students missed the accept/decline cut off date (I didn’t emphasise this bit). So UTAS were probably kinder than they needed to be. Do other unis chase up students before the cut off? I think WSU chased me up, but I can’t actually remember. I also can’t remember how clearly UTAS emphasised the need to reply one way or another before a specific date, I guess it may not have been super clear?

Either way, hopefully they have things sorted for 2020 entry!

ETA: A1, my understanding is that the 16 extra are domestic students.

ETA2: just looked at my offer letter for 2018 entry and it was super clear on that one that there was a deadline, but obviously I have no idea what it was like for 2019 entry.

All good - sounds perfectly reasonable. I imagine you also have to have a way to get a definitive answer on enrolments.

The state governments have signed the COAG agreement to provide internships for each state's CSP graduates. If they fail to provide enough I imagine the federal gov would start cutting back their CSP quotas.

I'm not sure about Tas but in the case of NSW, Vic, Qld, WA the state govs have been offering more internships than their CSP numbers, these extra places go to int'l graduates. Even if the Tas gov offers only 100 internships to match the CSP quota, many UTas graduates from interstate will want to return to their home states to intern thus free up some places for the int'l graduates.

Thanks A1.

Inter

Lurker
It is very likely 2020 [if not, by 2021] entry will see a significant drop in international students enrollment from Singapore and Malaysia .This is as a result of Singapore decision to cease recognition of UTAS MBBS from 2020. Majority of UTAS internationals are from these 2 countries and the impact will be significant to the med school . Each year they accept 3 to 5 IMU Malaysia credit transfer students to join the 3rd year cohort and this may also be affected.

On internship all UTAS internationals were able to secure placement for the past few years cohorts[for those who wanted to stay and usually around 12 to 15 each year ].In fact some even secure 1st round offers. There are a few internationals from interstate and Monash Malaysia med schools working as interns currently in Tas. This is confirmation that they are not able to fill up all the intern positions with UTAS and interstate local graduates.

To add Singapore now only recognise G8 med schools.They cut out UTAS, Flinders and Newcastle early this year. If the internationals are not coming these places will be given to locals.....

Reactions: A1

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It is very likely 2020 [if not, by 2021] entry will see a significant drop in international students enrollment from Singapore and Malaysia .This is as a result of Singapore decision to cease recognition of UTAS MBBS from 2020. Majority of UTAS internationals are from these 2 countries and the impact will be significant to the med school . Each year they accept 3 to 5 IMU Malaysia credit transfer students to join the 3rd year cohort and this may also be affected.

On internship all UTAS internationals were able to secure placement for the past few years cohorts[for those who wanted to stay and usually around 12 to 15 each year ].In fact some even secure 1st round offers. There are a few internationals from interstate and Monash Malaysia med schools working as interns currently in Tas. This is confirmation that they are not able to fill up all the intern positions with UTAS and interstate local graduates.

To add Singapore now only recognise G8 med schools.They cut out UTAS, Flinders and Newcastle early this year. If the internationals are not coming these places will be given to locals.....

I don’t think it’s as easy as “international students not coming to study - give those places to locals” unless UTAS moves to offering FFP places. Otherwise, I think the federal and/or state governments get some say as they’re the ones who fund the CSPs and BMPs and ‘guarantee’ the internships.

Also, I’d imagine UTAS would simply shift their targeting of international students to other countries. We routinely see people in our international student threads here at MSO miss out on places (including from Canada and other non-Singapore/Malaysia locations). I don’t think there is (or will be) an overall shortage of international applicants.

wobblepong

JCU MBBS IV
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been posted about before (couldn't find anything about it on the previous pages), but I called up UTAS the other day and they confirmed that there was no interstate school-leaver quota, but I recall reading elsewhere on here that there was. Can anyone else confirm if this is a change-of-process or perhaps a slip of the tongue?
Any help is appreciated!!
Kind regards,
Hopeful interstate student :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been posted about before (couldn't find anything about it on the previous pages), but I called up UTAS the other day and they confirmed that there was no interstate school-leaver quota, but I recall reading elsewhere on here that there was. Can anyone else confirm if this is a change-of-process or perhaps a slip of the tongue?
Any help is appreciated!!
Kind regards,
Hopeful interstate student :)

I don’t think there’s a specific quota with a number attached that relates to interstate school leavers specifically, but up until last year (2019 entry) there were very few people who end up in the course from that population, particularly non-rural. Last year was an anomaly so probably don’t read too much into it yet.

hs2000

In news that will surprise no-one who was here for offers time last year; it has been confirmed that UTAS over-offered incorrectly for the 2019 intake, resulting in a current first year cohort of 136 students (they are only meant to have 120). In addition, the failure rate for second year students in 2018 has led to a current second year cohort of also 136 (up from 118 enrolled in first year in 2018, 116 of whom passed).

Given limits on clinical placement opportunities and internships, etc, I wonder if this will be ‘managed’ by increasing the pass mark for the current first year cohort in particular?

I’m at UTas in first year, and we only have 126 people in our cohort ??

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I’m at UTas in first year, and we only have 126 people in our cohort ??

Ooh, interesting! Have you had any drop out? We had about 5 drop out in first semester alone last year (most of those in O week or the first couple of weeks of semester), and another couple in second semester.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
FYI utas will no longer have competitive entry via med res each year (for commencing students) into med, you can only apply via pathway in 3rd year.

Ooh, thank you for this update. Was the info communicated via the website or are you a current BMedRes student?

ETA: I see that updated admissions info will be provided on the website on Aug 4th, so presumably this will outline the changes.

Thanks again!

mc*

Current student - via email. I think they still need to update the course site. It also hinted that from 2023 they will have non-standard entry from other degrees with set quota from med res.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Current student - via email. I think they still need to update the course site. It also hinted that from 2023 they will have non-standard entry from other degrees with set quota from med res.

Ha, the route they just scrapped is coming back? Actually, maybe the change in direction is not too surprising given we have a new Dean of Med. Any word on a move to provisional entry or grad entry, which was certainly being floated as a possibility for a while there?

mc*

It just stated non-year 12 entry will require a bachelor degree and stating med res is an excellent pathway to med.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It just stated non-year 12 entry will require a bachelor degree and stating med res is an excellent pathway to med. I think it was more to give peace of mind to current students saying they can apply still via competitive pathway. Anything is possible - i don't know if any changes will happen to guaranteed entry for next year or grad entry. But I just had a look and the site says it should be updated by the 4th.

Yeah, I also commented re. the 4th above. But thanks for bringing this to our attention. Much appreciated 😊

Reactions: mc*

mc*

Omg major update - for entry rural student may receive bonus points for atar and you need minimum 50th percentile in ucat.

Approx 25 spots for non-standards and SJT section of ucat not included

Also guaranteed entry no longer available

Last edited: