Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I began my application last week and was about to submit today but I get this message:

"Attention Required: The course "Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery" at "Hobart Campus" for "2020" is no longer available, please make another course preference selection. "

I have mbbs bonded as first preference and then mbbs as second. I was wondering if its the bonded preference is the reason for the message but it didn't say bonded.

edit: is the "ID number provided by the Qualifications Authority" the LUI number (qld) or USI? I have entered the LUI because QTAC requires LUI instead of USI.
thanks

I agree with everyone else re. putting unbonded as your first preference (if there is an option to do so). Re. your application, I'd advise giving admissions a call tomorrow and asking to be put through to medicine admissions in particular. Explain the message that you got and ask for assistance on how to proceed and clarification on whether the two need to be preferenced separately.

Good luck!

Scope

Could someone please tell me more about the written application for UTAS.
Also would having extracurricular eg playing in U19 state badminton team make difference when it come to UCAT percentile
I am doing my UTAS application and not seen any written component as yet.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
You only do a written component if you are a rural applicant. And no, extracurriculars have no impact on your UCAT percentile, not at UTas or anywhere else.

apk22

They have changed the rural form - so your not asked to answer and questions only about what schools, where you live and if you have completed/started any tertiary studies.
I noticed this too and thought it might be a mistake, does anyone else know anything about it?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I noticed this too and thought it might be a mistake, does anyone else know anything about it?

Given there are a couple of new things about the application process at UTAS this year, if there’s anything you’re not sure about, then your best bet is to call admissions and ask to be put through to Med admissions. Alternatively, the RAP office (located at the RCS) has an email address you can use to ask Rural application questions.

REGULAR JOE

Hi. Im an interstate student with atar of 99.45. what are my chances for UTAS mbbs(they said they rank applicants on atar only and ucat is a threshold this year)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi. Im an interstate student with atar of 99.45. what are my chances for UTAS mbbs(they said they rank applicants on atar only and ucat is a threshold this year)

If the UCAT is a threshold and offers are on ATAR only (note: UTAS have not always been particularly transparent in their processes so this remains to be seen), then its impossible for us to say.

Speculation now: if they do use UCAT as a (relatively low) threshold and just rank applicants on ATAR, I’d imagine the ATAR requirement will be VERY high. Perhaps in-line with Griffith (~99.75), given the no interview component. Then add in the fact it’s direct entry and not provisional, and it’ll potentially be more appealing to some applicants. Adding to the possibly high ATAR requirements will be the relative lack of actual places on offer once international, rural, BMedRes, and local places are taken out of the 120 total.

Last edited:

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
If the UCAT is a threshold and offers are on ATAR only (note: UTAS have not always been particularly transparent in their processes so this remains to be seen), then its impossible for us to say.

Speculation now: if they do use UCAT as a (relatively low) threshold and just rank applicants on ATAR, I’d imagine the ATAR requirement will be VERY high. Perhaps in-line with Griffith (~99.75), given the no interview component. Then add in the fact it’s direct entry and not provisional, and it’ll potentially be more appealing to some applicants. Adding to the possibly high ATAR requirements will be the relatively lack of actual places on offer once international, rural, BMedRes, and local places are taken out of the 120 total.
What a ridiculous system 🙁

REGULAR JOE

Hi, i dont have the year 12 english prerequisite for the mbbs. Do you know any courses from the british council that would satisfy this english requirement?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, i dont have the year 12 english prerequisite for the mbbs. Do you know any courses from the british council that would satisfy this english requirement?

UTAS have bridging courses you can do, including during summer school, for pre-requisite subjects. They'd be your best bet.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering with the University of Tasmania, apart from applying directly through their portal on their website, do you have to place them as an option on the Tasmanian university admission website? Is there anything you have to do after applying directly through their website?

Thanks in advance.

L

Logic

Hey guys,

I was just wondering with the University of Tasmania, apart from applying directly through their portal on their website, do you have to place them as an option on the Tasmanian university admission website? Is there anything you have to do after applying directly through their website?

Thanks in advance.
When I did mine, you applied through a portal on the UTAS website and put your preferences for courses on there. You don't have to do anything after applying directly unless you're also a rural applicant (in which case you have to submit another separate application through email).

REGULAR JOE

To get an idea of how I compare against other applicants, would anyone else who has applied for utas mbbs please post their atar scores?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
To get an idea of how I compare against other applicants, would anyone else who has applied for utas mbbs please post their atar scores?
Keep in mind there are a very large number of applicants, the vast majority of which don't regularly use MSO. We also don't know how many places UTAS will be offering to interstate students, and there would also be a heavy reporting bias from those with top-end ATARs. Happy for people to respond to this if they wish, but I don't think you'll gain much insight from it, unfortunately.

REGULAR JOE

Thank you crow for the reply. What was that about interstate applicants? Do you know approximately what percentage of places are interstate?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you crow for the reply. What was that about interstate applicants? Do you know approximately what percentage of places are interstate?
No, I don't think anyone outside of UTAS admissions knows this. The number seems to vary widely from year to year - a couple of years ago I believe it was less than 5 places, then in 2019 entry I think at least 50 offers went to interstate students. Then, from my understanding, there was an over-acceptance of place offers (this is very problematic for a medical school because they need to organise clinical placements for students and the government only funds x amount of positions for each year). Because of this I'd imagine there will be far less offers made to interstate students in the upcoming admissions cycle compared to 2019 entry.

REGULAR JOE

Speculation now: if they do use UCAT as a (relatively low) threshold and just rank applicants on ATAR, I’d imagine the ATAR requirement will be VERY high. Perhaps in-line with Griffith (~99.75), given the no interview component. Then add in the fact it’s direct entry and not provisional, and it’ll potentially be more appealing to some applicants. Adding to the possibly high ATAR requirements will be the relative lack of actual places on offer once international, rural, BMedRes, and local places are taken out of the 120 total.
It says on the website that UCAT is only a threshold. Can they change it during the admissions period? Has it happened in the past years? And this year both CSP and BMP MBBS is only 1 course option right?

REGULAR JOE

If anyone is planning on visiting the Dean at UTAS, could you ask how applicants are ranked? When I emailed them they first said it was on ucat and when I pointed out it said ATAR on the website they said they are 'not sure'!