Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
I'd imagine not all students that fail decide to repeat the year, and instead leave the program entirely?

That's already accounted for in LMG! 's "14 Y2 fails entered my Y2 (and 6 gap yeared or dropped out)". The 5 I referred to would be among the 95 Y1 passes that did not go on to Y2.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
That's already accounted for in LMG! 's "14 Y2 fails entered my Y2 (and 6 gap yeared or dropped out)". The 5 I referred to would be among the 95 Y1 passes that did not go on to Y2.

If I’m understanding the year you’re talking about properly, two students in my Y1 passed but took a gap year so are Y2 this year (assuming they’re returning this year, I don’t know either of them well enough to know that yet).

REGULAR JOE

So I was recently told by UTAS that they had made a mistake in giving me an ATAR of 99.00, and that my correct ATAR was 99.95. I have applied to several scholarships that were based on academic merit, but I didn't receive one, likely because of my incorrect ATAR. Do you think it's too late to do anything about it?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hey guys utas said i am still on their waiting list, should i still have hope or its too late?

I know I’m the past they’ve sent out an email letting unsuccessful applicants know the cohort has been finalised. It’s usually around now-ish, so you may get notification, one way or the other, this week.

That said, when I was in first year, something like 4 people dropped out in week 1, so a week 2 offer is not unheard of (though is also not something to count on).

Blah_Ym_C

Lurker
Hey guys!!
I'm here weighing up my 2021 UTAS MBBS offer. As an international student who would like to intern in Australia, would it worth it? I read through quite a lot threads and found little info about it (latest data I found is from 2013 which stated all utas graduates got internship). I'm aware that none of the states guarantee internship for internationals. But I'd like some information from past years for better understanding of the trend. As far as I know, there are 120 MBBS students for 2021: 20 of which are international and for 2020 graduates, there are roughly 93 intern positions for 3 hospitals in tasmania. So, if there's little change in the coming few years, wouldn't all intern places be filled with domestic Tasmanian graduates and none for internationals? Or is there any chance there is more intern positions than stated OR domestic Tasmanian graduates choosing to intern on mainland so that internationals have a great chance?
Any help or suggestion is appreciated.😊

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys!!
I'm here weighing up my 2021 UTAS MBBS offer. As an international student who would like to intern in Australia, would it worth it? I read through quite a lot threads and found little info about it (latest data I found is from 2013 which stated all utas graduates got internship). I'm aware that none of the states guarantee internship for internationals. But I'd like some information from past years for better understanding of the trend. As far as I know, there are 120 MBBS students for 2021: 20 of which are international and for 2020 graduates, there are roughly 93 intern positions for 3 hospitals in tasmania. So, if there's little change in the coming few years, wouldn't all intern places be filled with domestic Tasmanian graduates and none for internationals? Or is there any chance there is more intern positions than stated OR domestic Tasmanian graduates choosing to intern on mainland so that internationals have a great chance?

While ~120 students start each each, there’s definitely a small attrition rate over the course of the degree and not that many graduate each year. I actually don’t know the average number of year 5 passes nor the likelihood of international students getting an internship, but I could do some asking around for you, if you like?

A massive caveat would be any info I could possibly glean would be ~2020 relevant, not ~2025 relevant.

Blah_Ym_C

Lurker
While ~120 students start each each, there’s definitely a small attrition rate over the course of the degree and not that many graduate each year. I actually don’t know the average number of year 5 passes nor the likelihood of international students getting an internship, but I could do some asking around for you, if you like?

A massive caveat would be any info I could possibly glean would be ~2020 relevant, not ~2025 relevant.
That would be really great!! Getting 2020 info is already a huge favour. Thanks in advance😋

A1

Rookie Doc

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
UTas 2019 graduates (2020 interns) were 85 domestic + 20 international
> Student Statistics Tables - Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand

Current Y1-Y5 domestic enrolments are 85 - 113 - 90 - 103 - 84 so there will be no more than 84 domestic graduates this year
> Student Statistics Tables - Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand

There are definitely more than 85 domestic students in year 1 this year. There were ~85 NEW enrolments and ~14-16 re-enrolments from the ~20 that failed first year in 2019. The total is around the 100 that is typical for the breakdown of domestic/international in year 1.

If the year 3 numbers are accurate, given there were 114 of us total, that would suggest a worrying attrition rate for international students... (14 down from an original 20 across the first two years of the degree). It actually doesn’t sound right to me...

ETA: I’ve definitely mentioned this before but the (UTAS*) data on that website has never looked accurate to me and I’d take it with a huge grain of salt.
(*because that’s the only Uni I’ve looked at)

Last edited:

Blah_Ym_C

Lurker
There are definitely more than 85 domestic students in year 1 this year. There were ~85 NEW enrolments and ~14-16 re-enrolments from the ~20 that failed first year in 2019. The total is around the 100 that is typical for the breakdown of domestic/international in year 1.

If the year 3 numbers are accurate, given there were 114 of us total, that would suggest a worrying attrition rate for international students... (14 down from an original 20 across the first two years of the degree). It actually doesn’t sound right to me...

ETA: I’ve definitely mentioned this before but the (UTAS*) data on that website has never looked accurate to me and I’d take it with a huge grain of salt.
(*because that’s the only Uni I’ve looked at)
I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely do that.
Another thing, do many domestic graduates move to mainland for internship every year? I have read somewhere that every year intern recruitment has to go down to lowest priority group. Is it true for the past few years?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys!!

I just spoke to an International student in my year to get her understanding of the situation. She said she is under the impression that International graduates end up doing a mix of Tasmanian internships or returning home to their own countries to complete internship. She also said there is more likelihood of a Tasmanian internship if you're willing to be allocated to a rural hospital. She said very few UTAS international graduates end up in internships in mainland Australian hospitals, so the two options tend to be Tasmania or returning home (some of which choose to do this/always intended to do this).

I also personally know of a handful of domestic graduates who applied for and received interstate internships (and, I guess, some interstate ex-Tasmanians who returned home) so there is a bit of back and forth, and it's definitely not as simple as X number of UTAS domestic graduates taking all the available Tasmanian internships.

I hope that helps a bit and congratulations on your offer.

If you're tossing up between offers, I can definitely vouch for the UTAS course. Their admissions process can be a bit of a nightmare (especially for domestic students), but the course itself has been incredibly well organised, in my opinion (and when compared to what I've heard from some other students here at MSO about other courses). I know it's not G08, and that can be important depending on where you're from, but if possible, definitely don't let that put you off :D

ETA: I was typing this when you replied! I hope it answers your questions :)

Blah_Ym_C

Lurker
I just spoke to an International student in my year to get her understanding of the situation. She said she is under the impression that International graduates end up doing a mix of Tasmanian internships or returning home to their own countries to complete internship. She also said there is more likelihood of a Tasmanian internship if you're willing to be allocated to a rural hospital. She said very few UTAS international graduates end up in internships in mainland Australian hospitals, so the two options tend to be Tasmania or returning home (some of which choose to do this/always intended to do this).

I also personally know of a handful of domestic graduates who applied for and received interstate internships (and, I guess, some interstate ex-Tasmanians who returned home) so there is a bit of back and forth, and it's definitely not as simple as X number of UTAS domestic graduates taking all the available Tasmanian internships.

I hope that helps a bit and congratulations on your offer.

If you're tossing up between offers, I can definitely vouch for the UTAS course. Their admissions process can be a bit of a nightmare (especially for domestic students), but the course itself has been incredibly well organised, in my opinion (and when compared to what I've heard from some other students here at MSO about other courses). I know it's not G08, and that can be important depending on where you're from, but if possible, definitely don't let that put you off :D

ETA: I was typing this when you replied! I hope it answers your questions :)
thank you, that helps a lot. You are(or were)a Utas medical student, right? How's the experience? How are student's support, clubs and umm atmosphere? I'm kind of between introvert and extrovert. But my parents are worried that I would be bored (worry that I won't have much to do besides study).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
thank you, that helps a lot. You are(or were)a Utas medical student, right? How's the experience? How are student's support, clubs and umm atmosphere? I'm kind of between introvert and extrovert. But my parents are worried that I would be bored (worry that I won't have much to do besides study).

Yep, sure am. I've had a fantastic time so far. I've found the degree itself largely very well organised and set out. There are pretty significant student support services in place, including a full time psychologist just for medical students to access, alongside individual learning plans and other formal student supports for people to access as necessary. Informally, there are student-led mentor/mentee programs and wellbeing programs that have also been operating for a while now and really ramped up this year.

There are a broad number (and type) of clubs (academic, medical skills based, and sporting, as well as all the other clubs UTAS offers, and a very active international medical student group) available. I'm sure they weren't as active this year as they usually are. There are also a huge number of Med-specific social events usually scheduled.

It's a relatively small/close-knit cohort (but not tiny) and this kind of facilitates social opportunities from all ends of the spectrum (ie. people who like to attend the occasional thing are catered for, as well as those who want to go to absolutely everything). I'd also classify myself as sitting somewhere between introvert and extrovert (probably closer to the introvert end), but have still participated in a few bits and pieces along the way (and could easily have done way more if I'd been inclined to).

I very, very much doubt that you'd be bored! Tasmania itself is also great for exploring, and I know the international student societies typically organise sight-seeing/tourism events every now and then (again, these were likely few and far between this year, but in a 'normal' year, they take place).