Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS MBBS: Entry Information and Discussion

John99

Hi !

I am currently considering other pathways to medicine. I received an offer to study BMedRes at UTAS commencing this year and am hoping to do Med in UTAS the following year. I heard that as a student of BMedRes, I can apply for Med and they'll consider my GPA etc at the end of yr 1 for entry the following yr. I was wondering, what are the overall chances of getting into Med based on GPA of 1st yr in UTAS? And how many places are generally given to students who are going through this pathway? Plus, in general, how BMedRes is as a degree (difficulty level etc ) .

Based on this year, your chances are zero. It appears they did not offer any BMedRes non-rural places this year.

Whynot101

WSU MD I
Hi !

I am currently considering other pathways to medicine. I received an offer to study BMedRes at UTAS commencing this year and am hoping to do Med in UTAS the following year. I heard that as a student of BMedRes, I can apply for Med and they'll consider my GPA etc at the end of yr 1 for entry the following yr. I was wondering, what are the overall chances of getting into Med based on GPA of 1st yr in UTAS? And how many places are generally given to students who are going through this pathway? Plus, in general, how BMedRes is as a degree (difficulty level etc ) .

Hi Lollipop

What John said based on the information I received seems to be accurate for this year, there has been no non-rural applicants accepted through the pathway no matter how high the UMAT and WAM/GPA (see my post in common pitfalls), but that doesn't mean it will be the case for the future. But based on current information chances are very low and there are no set number of places.
After if you are looking at doing a biomed degree (you should read the common pitfall page first) then by all means I thought first year was excellent, the units were good, the academics on point and the unit generally was great. If you are looking at applying as a non standard for med (WSU,JMP, UTAS, UNSW, JCU) then doing the UTAS degree is not a bad idea because it opens one more door then doing any other degree (hopefully), I got into WSU this year after first year BMedRes and I know of at least a couple others who got into WSU and UNSW.
Of course one would argue that I would have got in WSU regardless of what degree I did this year since its based on UMAT and Interview, but who knows?
Overall you have been informed, now you have to choose (the hard part) best of luck with your studies!

Also doing BMedRes first year lets you transfer into Laboratory Medicine in Launceston directly into second year if Med didn't work out after first year and that's a good degree ( read accredited). You can also do first year BMedRes from Launceston too.

Lastly most of Tasmania (check individual schools, locations etc) will give you rural years, so not the 5 years, but if you did 3.5 years LabMed and then worked and/or honours for 1.5 years you'd be good for postgrad med as a rural applicant.