Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Entry Information and Discussion

Sterras

Hey, does anyone know when tertiary applicants from BMedRes receive correspondence on their applications for the UTAS MBBS?? Thanks

Cocoa

I'd already added your data to the collated offers post, that's how sure I was it was coming :D
Hey LMG I have to apologise I put the wrong ATAR in my excitement it is not 98.25, but 99.25.... so sorry u will have to amend the collated data :eek: I have edited it in my offers post.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey LMG I have to apologise I put the wrong ATAR in my excitement it is not 98.25, but 99.25.... so sorry u will have to amend the collated data :eek: I have edited it in my offers post.

Haha, it’s funny you mention this, because I had it as 99.25 in my original (pre-emptive) update, and then changed it tonight when you posted your offer, assuming I had it wrong :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey, does anyone know when tertiary applicants from BMedRes receive correspondence on their applications for the UTAS MBBS?? Thanks

Unfortunately, I can no longer advise anyone about anything! UTAS have thrown their own rule book out this year, and I officially have no idea. UTAS itself published that it wouldn’t be making interstate offers until Jan, which was obviously a lie.

Further unfortunately, given the HUGE jump in offers made to school leavers from interstate, there’s going to have to be a corresponding drop elsewhere. We’ve had a few rural offers already reported, so I don’t think it’s there. And it can’t be from the guaranteeed pathway as those places are, well, guaranteed. Not to mention, there’s been a previous state government agreement with regard to offers for local school leavers (that I presume is still in place). So it makes me a little concerned for BMedRes competitive entry applicants. My fingers are absolutely crossed for you.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I discovered yesterday via an incidental conversation at work that at least one BMedRes student (completed first year) has been offered MBBS in 2019 via the competitive entry pathway, so obviously (some of?) those offers have also gone out.

Have you received any correspondence?

cat777

I discovered yesterday via an incidental conversation at work that at least one BMedRes student (completed first year) has been offered MBBS in 2019 via the competitive entry pathway, so obviously (some of?) those offers have also gone out.

Have you received any correspondence?
One of my friends got a non bonded offer a week ago on Saturday morning via competitive pathway. She was 1st Yr BMedRes studying at Launceston, UMAT 61%ile

Also studying yr 12 in Tasmania.. I have very similar UMAT score and perfect GPA (not that they really look at that) but didn’t study yr12 in Tasmania so I’m not sure if that’s why I haven’t got one yet.. I believe they’re all technically top up offers after year 12’s reject an offer? I’m not sure

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
One of my friends got a non bonded offer a week ago on Saturday morning via competitive pathway. She was 1st Yr BMedRes studying at Launceston, UMAT 61%ile

Also studying yr 12 in Tasmania.. I have very similar UMAT score and perfect GPA (not that they really look at that) but didn’t study yr12 in Tasmania so I’m not sure if that’s why I haven’t got one yet.. I believe they’re all technically top up offers after year 12’s reject an offer? I’m not sure

Unfortunately, you're probably not considered a rural applicant (correct me if I'm wrong), whereas, if your friend is a Tasmanian, she would be. This would drastically change your UMAT requirements, I believe.

cat777

Unfortunately, you're probably not considered a rural applicant (correct me if I'm wrong), whereas, if your friend is a Tasmanian, she would be. This would drastically change your UMAT requirements, I believe.
Yes that is the case. I tried to ask someone on the phone from admissions and they seemed to think only yr12’s go through a rural pathway and all BMedRes students are seen equally but I didn’t think she was actually correct.. I didn’t want to question her though. I’m not expecting an offer but it will be interesting to see who does get one.
Thanks for quick reply :)

Hi, I’m a school leaver from NSW and was offered a bonded med spot at utas with 99.8 atar and 90 umat. Am I likely to be offered an unbonded spot at some point considering the number of interstate students that are probably going to decline? Thanks :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I’m a school leaver from NSW and was offered a bonded med spot at utas with 99.8 atar and 90 umat. Am I likely to be offered an unbonded spot at some point considering the number of interstate students that are probably going to decline? Thanks :)

A friend who received a BMP in 2017 was upgraded to a CSP in O week, so yeah this is possible but not definite. Are you intending to enrol at UTAS?

Yes that is the case. I tried to ask someone on the phone from admissions and they seemed to think only yr12’s go through a rural pathway and all BMedRes students are seen equally but I didn’t think she was actually correct.. I didn’t want to question her though. I’m not expecting an offer but it will be interesting to see who does get one.
Thanks for quick reply :)

I was a non-standard applicant and received a rural offer, so it's definitely not just for school leavers.

cat777

A friend who received a BMP in 2017 was upgraded to a CSP in O week, so yeah this is possible but not definite. Are you intending to enrol at UTAS?

I was a non-standard applicant and received a rural offer, so it's definitely not just for school leavers.
Ah there you go. Thanks for clarification. Not sure what the girl on the phone was thinking but anyway.. Thanks for all the help.
Cheers, Cat

Yes! I’m planning to enrol at UTAS. However, I’m reserve 6 for UNSW so if I’m lucky enough to receive a UNSW offer I will decline UTAS

Hi !

I am currently considering other pathways to medicine. I received an offer to study BMedRes at UTAS commencing this year and am hoping to do Med in UTAS the following year. I heard that as a student of BMedRes, I can apply for Med and they'll consider my GPA etc at the end of yr 1 for entry the following yr. I was wondering, what are the overall chances of getting into Med based on GPA of 1st yr in UTAS? And how many places are generally given to students who are going through this pathway? Plus, in general, how BMedRes is as a degree (difficulty level etc ) .