Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS MBBS: Interstate Entry Requirements

AmericanBoy

Hello,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the entry system works for UTAS? I'm an interstate applicant and I understand the ATAR cutoff is 95, but is this just a threshold or is this weighted with UMAT to determine entry? Or is entry based on UMAT alone?
If anyone has had prior experience that would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
ATAR is threshold I think. So mainly based on Umat- especially s2 ( >60s probably ideal)

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Okay, cool, thanks! Just contacted them so will post here if I get any solid info.
@A1 emailed them last year for 2016 intake and their response wasn't the most reliable/ best, aha just a heads up :) but do let us know what they say!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
If you're a year 12 - this is going to be quite difficult for you as the quota for year 12 school leavers from interstate is very small.

AmericanBoy

If you're a year 12 - this is going to be quite difficult for you as the quota for year 12 school leavers from interstate is very small.
Yes, I am a school leaver, I'm sure it won't be easy but I definitely want to apply everywhere and managed to score a 100%ile UMAT so hopefully that'll pull some cred down there haha ;)

Mana

Administrator
Yes, I am a school leaver, I'm sure it won't be easy but I definitely want to apply everywhere and managed to score a 100%ile UMAT so hopefully that'll pull some cred down there haha ;)
A 100%ile UMAT will get you an offer somewhere for sure - unless your ATAR is under 97...

MD

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
A1 with 100%ile didn't get utas last year tho possibly due to s2?

AmericanBoy

A1 with 100%ile didn't get utas last year tho possibly due to s2?
Yeah, funny things can happen, my scores (79.74.71, overall 223) are pretty consistent so hopefully no dramas there but definitely not treating it as a given

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Adding my 2c. I went to an open day a few weeks ago at UTAS and the Dean of Med explained that ATAR 95.0 is the minimum, but that, in reality and due to competitiveness etc, those that get in end up having ATARs much, much higher than that. This comment made me think ATAR was more than just a threshold, but I have no idea of the respective weightings.

Your 100%ile UMAT will stand you in excellent stead though! Well done!

Mana

Administrator
Your UMAT scores are among the highest ever posted on MSO :) Only a handful of members can claim to have beaten your score in the last ten years. Well done!

AmericanBoy

Your UMAT scores are among the highest ever posted on MSO :) Only a handful of members can claim to have beaten your score in the last ten years. Well done!

Wow, that's incredible, and a surprise, thank you! You certainly are a wielder of gold stars :)

Adding my 2c. I went to an open day a few weeks ago at UTAS and the Dean of Med explained that ATAR 95.0 is the minimum, but that, in reality and due to competitiveness etc, those that get in end up having ATARs much, much higher than that. This comment made me think ATAR was more than just a threshold, but I have no idea of the respective weightings.

Your 100%ile UMAT will stand you in excellent stead though! Well done!

Yeah, definitely sounds like it. Thanks for that info! Would have loved to attend the open day.
Thanks, I hope it will! Fingers crossed for all the other newly UMAT-ted hopefuls out there too :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are there any parameters around the CV we are meant to upload? i.e. 4 pages? 1 page cover letter?

There are no parameters, and the uploading of a CV at all is entirely optional. It's recommended (in general terms, not specifically by the University) for those applying for non-standard entry as UTAS take into consideration "maturity, experience, and evidence of ability to complete the course", and we aren't entirely sure how this is assessed. It could be CV/personal statement, or it could just be past academic history, we don't know. But uploading a CV/personal statement is a good way of ensuring the admissions staff have all the info they need.

AmericanBoy

There are no parameters, and the uploading of a CV at all is entirely optional. It's recommended (in general terms, not specifically by the University) for those applying for non-standard entry as UTAS take into consideration "maturity, experience, and evidence of ability to complete the course", and we aren't entirely sure how this is assessed. It could be CV/personal statement, or it could just be past academic history, we don't know. But uploading a CV/personal statement is a good way of ensuring the admissions staff have all the info they need.

For standard school leavers, the CV isn't accepted though?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I was under the impression a CV is not accepted for standard entry school leavers?

Given the application form is the same regardless of entry type, it's possible (but probably unnecessary) for school leavers to upload a CV. It definitely won't count against the applicant though, so if they have one ready to go, then there isn't any harm.

LBoG

BMedSci/MD-JMP II UoN
Hello,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the entry system works for UTAS? I'm an interstate applicant and I understand the ATAR cutoff is 95, but is this just a threshold or is this weighted with UMAT to determine entry? Or is entry based on UMAT alone?
If anyone has had prior experience that would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!
AmericanBoy, did you get yourself a UTAS offer yet??