UTAS UTAS Medicine: Non-standard Entry

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Woot. Follow Dandelion's advice!

Dandelion

Woot. Follow Dandelion's advice!

Ahaha..thanks :lols:
Forgot to mention that there is a sort-of subcategory within the non-standard category: the alternative pathway. I think there's about 10 places for this category. Basically it's for people who study certain courses at UTAS. I studied one of those courses last year - but I only studied for one semester so they counted me as a non-standard applicant <_<
An admin lady told me that the chances of getting in from the alternative pathway is much higher than the non-standard pathway - given you meet the GPA +/- ATAR minimum and have a UMAT score higher than the lowest last year. I don't remember the numbers she gave me but it won't be accurate anyway -_-

The info is based on what I know from applying last year. So please don't throw things at me if things are a lot different this year :cry:

SpringTime

Thanks for all the advice :)
I'll call the UTAS and ask them about the alternative pathway you mentioned [MENTION=6418]Dandelion[/MENTION]
Anything to increase the chances of getting in :D

dylana

Ahaha..thanks :lols:
Forgot to mention that there is a sort-of subcategory within the non-standard category: the alternative pathway. I think there's about 10 places for this category. Basically it's for people who study certain courses at UTAS. I studied one of those courses last year - but I only studied for one semester so they counted me as a non-standard applicant <_<
An admin lady told me that the chances of getting in from the alternative pathway is much higher than the non-standard pathway - given you meet the GPA +/- ATAR minimum and have a UMAT score higher than the lowest last year. I don't remember the numbers she gave me but it won't be accurate anyway -_-

The info is based on what I know from applying last year. So please don't throw things at me if things are a lot different this year :cry:

How does UTAS choose the top 10 or the 10 spots?
Is it ranked by UMAT score, once the other criteria have been met?

Dandelion

How does UTAS choose the top 10 or the 10 spots?
Is it ranked by UMAT score, once the other criteria have been met?

Fairly positive that applicants are ranked by their UMAT score. I'm not sure what happens if some people have the same UMAT scores though :mellow:
If there is one thing you need to remember about applying for medicine at UTAS, remember this:

UTAS ^_^ UMAT :mellow: UTAS ^_^ UMAT :mellow: UTAS ^_^ UMAT :mellow:
(it actually sounds cool if you chant this line :lols:)

Hi
I did my first year (2 semesters) of university in NZ in 2012. My NZ GPA was 7.875/9.. not sure what this is equivalent to in Aus?
My NZ grades were: A+,A+,A+,A,A,A-,A-,B+
My UMAT was 91%
My ATAR from 2011 school grades was 96.00

Any ideas on my chances in getting into UTAS MBBS for 2013? I suppose i'll be a non-standard school leaver?
Cheers

amateur

Are you a NZ kid? They offer only 2 places for NZ kids and maybe they even stopped that this year. Not too sure.

If you are an Aus citizen then your UMAT scores are pretty competitive to get a spot.

Rulan

Hey guys, I know that your umat score needs to be about the same as the lowest UMAT score of the previous year, but does anyone know what that would range around? Secondly, they look at a distinction average of (70%), I'm studying Physio at CSU Orange NSW and a D average is 75, which is a GPA of 6.. A 70% average amounted to about a GPA of 4.9 where I am.. Do you guys convert a D average of 70% to a GPA? Also, ater three sems of study or more, do they still look account for your ATAR? Or do they just look at it as a part of protocol reasons? My GPA is about 6.25 so far this sem, and plan to go on to next year for the umat..GPA wise please tell me my chances if you know! :)

Thanks!

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads