Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Non-standard Entry

Not sure if there is a similar thread (if there is, could someone merge this info to the thread) or whether this info is meant to be here, but I was cleaning my inbox and found some information regarding UTAS. This is for reference for future non stndard applicants.

Entry requirements - Domestic Applicants (Australian Citizens/Permanent Residents, New Zealand Citizens)

Subject Prerequisites
Satisfactory Achievement results in both:

· TCE Year 12 Chemistry (CHM315109 or equivalent) which must have been completed within the last 5 years. The UTAS Chemistry Foundation Unit (KRA001) is an acceptable equivalent, provided that the student is currently enrolled or has already completed the unit at the time of their application;
· TCE Year 12 English Communications (ENC315109 or equivalent) or, Year 12 English Studies (ENS315109 or equivalent) or, Year 12 English Writing (ENW315109 or equivalent);

Without the above prerequisite subjects applicants will not be considered for entry and should not apply for Medicine.

All applicants must have successfully completed subject prerequisites, and provided evidence of such by early February of the commencement year.

Academic Performance
Admission for non-school leaver and tertiary applicants will be based on subject prerequisites, academic and UMAT performance, together with evidence of their capacity to complete the course successfully. Maturity, motivation and experience (including previous or continuous work in a Medicine-related field) will also be taken into consideration.
( Different universities use different percentages. At UTAS, a distinction is worth 70%. We will look at all of your results and calculate an average.)

Applications for 2011 open after the second of August online.
As an incomplete tertiary applicant, to be eligible, you will have to meet the following:
Distinction average (70%) over 1-2 semesters of full time study (3-8 units) PLUS an ATAR of 90 or higher
OR
Distinction average (70%) under one semester of full time study PLUS an ATAR of 95 or higher.
You will be required to have completed the prerequisite courses English and Chemistry.
You will also be required to have a UMAT score. Registration closed for UMAT on the 18th of July, and the test will be held on the 28th of July. If you have not registered for UMAT we will not be able to assess you at this point in time.
If you require any further assistance please contact the school of medicine.

Alternate Pathways into Medicine at UTAS

Up to 10 Australian applicants each year are accepted into Year 1 of the MBBS on the basis of their performance in one of the following UTAS degrees:

Bachelor of Medical Research
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Biotechnology
Bachelor of Biomedical Science
Bachelor of Health Science
Bachelor of Environmental Science

From 2011 the approved Medicine pathway degrees will also include Bachelor of Pharmacy.

To be eligible to apply for the available places, applicants must have:

· completed a full-time year of study at UTAS in one of the listed degrees in the year prior to the proposed MBBS enrolment;
· achieved a Distinction average or above for the two* most recent semesters of full-time study;
· satisfied the Year 12 subject prerequisites for the MBBS;
· completed the UMAT within the past 2 years and have achieved a combined UMAT score at least equal to the lowest UMAT score in the cohort selected in other categories.

*If you have completed less than two semesters of tertiary study, you will also need an ATAR / TER of 90 or above.

Q. How many places are available in the MBBS at UTAS?
A. There are 120 places in total, of which 20 are reserved for full-fee paying international students and the remaining 100 are for domestic applicants. Only the Year 12 applicant category has a strict Tasmanian quota. This is a requirement due to UTAS being the only university in Tasmania. No preference is given to Tasmanian applicants in any other categories. Selections are made purely on merit.

(We have categories to which we allocate students; ie, so many places for year 12 Tas, so many for Year 12 Interstate, so many for Tas Tertiary, so many for Interstate Tertiary, so many for pathways & so on.

So assuming that you will fall within one of the tertiary categories, we would first rank you on your UMAT score & we would then be looking at your tertiary results & ranking you on those also.

The number for each category for 2011, are not yet determined, so I cannot give you any information on this.)​

Q. I am currently studying Medicine or a related course at another university. Are there any provisions for me to transfer into the MBBS at UTAS and obtain credit for the studies I have already done?
A. For Medicine students wanting to transfer to 1st or 2nd years, it is no longer possible until other Australian universities adopt Case Based Learning courses similar to UTAS. For students wanting to transfer to 3rd year and above, this is done on a case-by-case basis. All submissions must go through Prof James Vickers (Deputy Head of School). There are no credit provisions for other university courses in similar fields.

carols

For that last question - I believe that it is still possible to transfer into 1st or 2nd years as long as the reason is valid. It's done by contacting the current Deans at both your current school and UTAS. Does anyone know whether university transcripts are needed for the transfer?

Dandelion

There are no longer lone Bachelor of Biotechnology and Bachelor of Medical Research courses, they're now combined into one course :)

dylana

· completed the UMAT within the past 2 years and have achieved a combined UMAT score at least equal to the lowest UMAT score in the cohort selected in other categories.

what does that mean?

Calem

Ol' Man River

what does that mean?
It's saying that for the alternative pathway, all you need for a UMAT score is the lowest UMAT score that anyone who wasn't in the alternative category got an offer with. This normally works out to be the Tasmanian Year 12 category cut off, with a UMAT of about 58 raw recently.

auspeedy

Lurker
Hi all, I was just enquiring to see how UTas calculates GPA for non-standard entry for people who have done masters?

Thanks, auspeedy.

Arkayik

Hi all, I was just enquiring to see how UTas calculates GPA for non-standard entry for people who have done masters?

Thanks, auspeedy.

Pop them an e-mail (assuming you haven't already), they're really quick and helpful with their replies! Good luck to you as well, I'll be applying for 2013.

Jordan

There is a massive thread discussing all things UTAS med here, it's quite long but should have everything you're after.

msia

Hi, can someone please help me out with UTAS med application for next year as non-standard? This is my case ~ I applied to UTAS last year as a school leaver, but didn't get in. This year, I would like to apply again, and I found out that I could still log into my old UTAS account (you know the one that you have to create before commencing your application). I just applied for change of preference to Medicine. Just wondering do I still need to do anything else? They still have all my contact details, but they didn't ask me for any academic like my first year uni details or results or something? thanks for helping!

Dandelion

Hey, did you ever give them your student number in high school or at the university you studied?
If you're worried, I highly recommend ringing the administration at UTAS (or see them in person if you're in the area) - they're very nice and helpful :)

SpringTime

This might be more of a general question than UTAS specific but do universities only allow non-standard entry for those who are studying an undergraduate degree in that university?
So, if I was studying in Melbourne, would I be able to apply to UTAS as a non-standard applicant?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
This might be more of a general question than UTAS specific but do universities only allow non-standard entry for those who are studying an undergraduate degree in that university?
So, if I was studying in Melbourne, would I be able to apply to UTAS as a non-standard applicant?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Yes, I believe UTAS accepts non standards from other unis.

UADEL does not.

SpringTime

Thanks for the fast reply :)
Does the required GPA/ATAR and UMAT cut-off increase when you apply interstate?
Or is it the same regardless of which university I do my undergrad from?:unsure:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Thanks for the fast reply :)
Does the required GPA/ATAR and UMAT cut-off increase when you apply interstate?
Or is it the same regardless of which university I do my undergrad from?:unsure:

I am a bit confused here sorry. Are you asking if the unis will change their cut offs depending on what uni you are transferring from? Then the answer is no. Same cut off for everyone.

SpringTime

Oh sorry. I should have explained that better!
I meant do you generally need a higher UMAT score or GPA if you apply interstate-because for the school-leaver pathway, isn't there a preference given to Tasmanian students? Because of the limited number of seats or something?
I'm not sure if this applies for non-standard entry though? :thinking:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Oh sorry. I should have explained that better!
I meant do you generally need a higher UMAT score or GPA if you apply interstate-because for the school-leaver pathway, isn't there a preference given to Tasmanian students? Because of the limited number of seats or something?
I'm not sure if this applies for non-standard entry though? :thinking:

I believe that is true for non standards as well (Preference for local students)

Issie

[MENTION=14892]SpringTime[/MENTION] you will need a higher UMAT but the GPA is just a threshold, and once you cross it you are ranked solely on your UMAT raw score.