Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Roll Call 2013

Issie

Hey guys,

Currently only internationals and alternative pathway students (not sure about non-standards) have received offers for utas. but as more offers are made i thought it might be nice for everyone joining the 2013 cohort to have their own little thread and say where they're from. I'll start,

I'm Issie from hobart. i did a year of medical research before transferring into med. :)

can't wait to hear from you all. :)

Last edited:

n33b

FIRST!!!
Congrats on getting an offer, and welcome to UTas everyone! Ask a 5th year anything :)

Issie

[MENTION=5479]acegrace[/MENTION] i'm sure you will get there one way or another. it's good that you have a plan if you don't get an offer this year. :) but i hope you do. :)

elmo

Hi, I'm Ellen and have just received an offer for UTas Med next year, so will hopefully see you there...just got to work out accomodation and such...not sure what to do..college or living off campus? :unsure:
I have done 2 years of MedSci at USyd :)

Issie

off campus is better as the colleges are not on the med school campus. although they do have busses. just my little hobart insider info. can't wait to meet you :) congrats :)

Congratulations Issie and ellen! Have either of you heard of anyone else recieving offers? How exciting! Do you know if all alternative pathway offers would be out now? or do they stagger them :) I recieved my offer for Utas physiotherapy but still hanging out for med.. fingers crossed :)

Issie

[MENTION=15600]MedKidDreamer[/MENTION] you got an offer for utas physiotherapy???? i didnt think they offered that, but congrats. :) i know all alternative pathway offers have been handed out for first round as some of my friends who also did med research got offers. but the deadline for accepting the offer was 14/12 so i expect second round offers will probably come out on monday, but that is really just me speculating. :)

Thanks for the quick reply, ah well I feel I have missed out then. :) Super exciting for you though :)
Utas offer entry to physio through a pathway with interview and application to Utas but study at UniSA, interesting but is exciting!

elmo

Hey guys, do we spend our first few years at the Sandy Bay campus or in the city? I'd like to get accomodation walking distance from wherever we'll be :)

Issie

It's all in the city. Which isn't really walking distance from sandy bay, you'd have to catch buses most of the time. :) somewhere in the city like the glebe, west Hobart, north Hobart would be best. :)

rsta4423

Hi guys I'm Rachel, I studied health science and then master of audiology and worked as an audiologist this year (in Hobart),and i've been accepted into MBBS UTAS too in the nonstandard entry. I currently rent in Battery Point but wont be able to afford living here next year so will probably moved to Sandy Bay and bus it.
so excited!!

n33b

FIRST!!!
Virtually all the work you do is in the city. There is only one unit in Sandy Bay which was in year 2, 2nd semester, called "Perspectives on ageing", but from memory there was only one lecture a week you had to attend :)

Hi all! Congrats Issie, Ellen & Rachel on your offers; happy to say I received one too. :)
I'm Kelvin, from Sydney. Also a non-standard applicant - I've studied a year of medical science at UWS.

I'm a bit confused about the study/accommodation situation, especially having never visited Hobart. So most of our study will be done in the city - is this at the Menzies Research Building?
Which would be the best & most realistic accommodation option? I'd be looking for something catered, preferably a short bus ride from where we study.

Issie

hey,
if you are after something catered i would say that the colleges would be your best option (jane college preferably, or so i've heard). even though they're not in the city for a small fee each college has a bus service that runs from the colleges to the menzies building, so it wouldn't be too difficult to get transport. and public transport and walking is also an alright option. :) and all of our study except the occassional thing will be in the city, so convenient and the buildings are amazing. :)

Issie

hey fellow class of 2017, please join our facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/309622879137193/

Bueller

I thought I would post this information here as this is the thread I've been stalking most in an attempt to gain information about offers and UMAT scores. This is a correspondence I got from admissions

"Hi *Bueller

Medicine offers are still being considered as applicants accept or deny their offer. However with a UMAT score of 156 it is very unlikely you will receive an offer.

We had approximately 1000 applicants and applicants need to rank in the top 20 to be competitive. The highest UMAT this year was a combined score of 270. The UMAT score is the determiner on ranking for all applicant with an ATAR over 95. So even if an applicant had an ATAR on 99, they would still need to rank in the top 20 for UMAT.

Bonded places are released in February.

Kind Regards"

So there you go, I don't know if that indicates that the average UMAT score has increased this year, or maybe admissions didn't realise I was a local school leaver. Perhaps this rules out the "everyone who scores 150+ gets an offer" theory. Hope this is helpful for others!

*returns to my own special pity party*

yonexx

Hey guys, got an offer last friday the 25th (late round offer evidently). However I've done two years of dentistry and tossing each up.