Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UWA UWA Medicine: General Discussion

LJSEL

If you mean considered for 2nd round offers early February then accepting UWA science degree has no bearing on it. It comes down to whether you will be considered when these offers are mainly for interstate applicants.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for your reply. I live in WA. I havent got offer from UWA and curtin in first 2 rounds. Any chance i would i get direct offer from one of both in Feb?
What I meant was accepting the UWA science does not exclude you from the running for a UWA/Curtin med offer. But after two offer rounds already any chance is minimal.

panda1

Lurker
What I meant was accepting the UWA science does not exclude you from the running for a UWA/Curtin med offer. But after two offer rounds already any chance is minimal.
Hi,
Just a quick Q on rural eligibility for UWA as I can find vague answers everywhere, but thought someone here may have a more accurate estimate. What score for UCAT would be basically a guarantee (I know that's a dangerous word when it comes to rural eligibility, as it fluctuates so much each year) at UWA for a rural student, provided they meet the ATAR requirement?

forevafrensbear

Impossible hard to predict. The ranking includes interview and ATAR. So it is possible to have a high UCAT and still not get in if you flunk the interview.

ucat3300+

Hi, should I apply for both Doctor of Med via Biomed Science AND Doctor of Med via Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)? Obviously the preference is the former, but I thought the Bachelor of Philosophy pathway may be less popular hence more chance of getting in. Or is this totally useless, because the number of Doctor of Med via (either) is capped. (And also for dentistry, should I do this or not?) Thanks..

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, should I apply for both Doctor of Med via Biomed Science AND Doctor of Med via Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)? Obviously the preference is the former, but I thought the Bachelor of Philosophy pathway may be less popular hence more chance of getting in.
There is one quota for the provisional offers to MD comprising both BioMed & BPhil. The ATAR requirement for BPhil is higher (mid to high 99s) so in effect if you get an offer the default is BioMed, then if you want BPhil you need to have the extra ATAR. Placing BioMed higher pref makes a lower BPhil pref moot (a bit like placing bonded above unbonded).

ucat3300+

There is one quota for the provisional offers to MD comprising both BioMed & BPhil. The ATAR requirement for BPhil is higher (mid to high 99s) so in effect if you get an offer the default is BioMed, then if you want BPhil you need to have the extra ATAR. Placing BioMed higher pref makes a lower BPhil pref moot (a bit like placing bonded above unbonded).
Thanks for your reply. Is the higher ATAR requirement for BPhil due to its higher popularity compared to Biomed? Seems unlikely because BPhil is 8 years compared to 7 years for Biomed. Or do people want to be an 'all rounder' and study humanities before starting medicine?

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for your reply. Is the higher ATAR requirement for BPhil due to its higher popularity compared to Biomed?
It's not related to popularity. The BPhil requires a high ATAR because it's a "research-intensive" program. In my year the set minimum iirc was 99.50 and the cutoff was 99.80, minimum has now dropped to 98.0 not sure what recent cutoffs were
> Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)

From TISC stats we now see only 2-3 a year doing the BPhil-MD pathway. The BioMed pathway is 3+3 since 3rd year BioMed more/less overlaps with MD1 to let you hop into MD2. BPhil-MD is 4+4.

ucat3300+
All that said, if you have an unused pref slot in TISC no harm putting BPhil-MD in below BioMed-MD, just in case UWA is keen to prove my interpretation wrong haha.

Last edited:

ucat3300+

ucat3300+
All that said, if you have an unused pref slot in TISC no harm putting BPhil-MD in below BioMed-MD, just in case UWA is keen to prove my interpretation wrong haha.
Ahh, yes, thank you so much for the help. I am from NSW, and am applying to only medicine and dentistry in WA so yes, I have plenty of TISC slots and will include both Biomed and BPhil.

But from their website, I think what you have said is true : "About 145 places across the various quotas will be offered for the Assured Pathway into the MD" , but better to be safe, for sure :)

ucat3300+

Hi, do we need to apply on TISC for this Integrated Medical Sciences and Clinical Practice (IMSCP) which shortens the MD from 4 to 3 years? Or do we just apply for MD via Biomed/BPhil on TISC and once we get the offer, we can choose to do the IMSCP? Sorry if this has been asked before.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, do we need to apply on TISC for this Integrated Medical Sciences and Clinical Practice (IMSCP) which shortens the MD from 4 to 3 years? Or do we just apply for MD via Biomed/BPhil on TISC and once we get the offer, we can choose to do the IMSCP?

The IMSCP is a Major of BioMed/BPhil degree, so you put BioMed-MD or BPhil-MD is TISC (then choose IMSCP when enrol)
> Integrated Medical Sciences and Clinical Practice

Last edited:
Wait, as an international student applying for the assured pathway into medicine, I am confused. If i dont make it into the first round of offers am i sent an email detailing that? Or do i have to wait until all places are filled to be told i am rejected. Also, any idea when first round of offers will be made?

denosawr

Thanks for your reply. Is the higher ATAR requirement for BPhil due to its higher popularity compared to Biomed? Seems unlikely because BPhil is 8 years compared to 7 years for Biomed. Or do people want to be an 'all rounder' and study humanities before starting medicine?
Is it possible to study 6 years biomed/MD at UWA?

A1

Rookie Doc
Is it possible to study 6 years biomed/MD at UWA?
Yes it is practically the default option for the majority of UWA provisional students now. The Biomed/IMSCP 3rd year sort of overlaps with MD1 so after graduating Biomed you start med from the MD2 year.

Wait, as an international student applying for the assured pathway into medicine, I am confused. If i dont make it into the first round of offers am i sent an email detailing that? Or do i have to wait until all places are filled to be told i am rejected. Also, any idea when first round of offers will be made?
Can anyone answer?

I am an international student applying to UWA as well, so far no news. How's your results/CASPer/ISAT? We might be able to update each other if we get any email
Hi! I think i have 96 ATAR and 176 ISAT. My Casper didnt really go as well as i thought i did? WHat about you?

Asynn

Hi! I think i have 96 ATAR and 176 ISAT. My Casper didnt really go as well as i thought i did? WHat about you?
Hi! I got 176 for ISAT as well haha... I did a foundation year at Monash and got ~90. My CASPer is at 75-100th percentile. I think we have similar stats and we should be getting news of acceptance/rejection at around the same time (?). How's your CASPer?

Hi! I got 176 for ISAT as well haha... I did a foundation year at Monash and got ~90. My CASPer is at 75-100th percentile. I think we have similar stats and we should be getting news of acceptance/rejection at around the same time (?). How's your CASPer?
That is so good! No i did pretty bad in the Casper test. I was in the second quarter percentile...:(