Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UWS School of Awesome (and Medicine) 2014 Rollcall

To be honest I'm surprised that you weren't given an offer with those scores... It must have just been super competitive this year. I'd say you're looking good for a second round offer, but don't hold me to that...

I tried really hard to get those marks, obviously I was disappointed. I actually thought my interview was good... But I guess you can never tell with these things. My first round preferences didn't include UWS as a choice so I am only being included in he second round. When I called the lady was really nice, she said I did well but I was border line getting an offer because this was the second round (I thought that wouldn't make a difference.)

I didn't get a first round offer either :(

wam: 91~92
umat: 95% (157 weighted from memory)

I was told I was in the "middle" so it was hard to say whether a second round offer could be possible or not. Apparently the first 70 offers they make are usually rejected?

Sorry I didn't get back to your private message, it wouldn't let me send. I got the exact same reply when I asked about my place, in the middle and too close to call. She further she said I did well and was borderline for getting an offer second round, I'm hoping this means 50/50. Did penny's say anything else when you called? I'm hoping this isn't a general thing she say's to everyone to soften the blow

If she said you were borderline, I think you're chances are better than mine. I was just told to wait a bit longer and call back in after second offers were out (that is after Jan 30) so I could have a better idea of where I sat. She told me it was hard to say whether I was in with a chance as well. I'm not totally sure now, so I might call in again on Monday for clarification.

I'm still a bit confused about this whole offer system, but if we're in the middle and they still have 20~30 more offers to make on top of the 70 they've already released, then there are still 50 or so people ahead of us.

I guess we have to just wait it out :( Good luck! I'll post back here if I get any more information :)

I tried really hard to get those marks, obviously I was disappointed. I actually thought my interview was good... But I guess you can never tell with these things. My first round preferences didn't include UWS as a choice so I am only being included in he second round. When I called the lady was really nice, she said I did well but I was border line getting an offer because this was the second round (I thought that wouldn't make a difference.)

I guess all you can do now is wait and see. It's going to be disappointing, missing out, but hang in there. Your scores were pretty darn good so it'll happen for you at some point I'm sure.

If she said you were borderline, I think you're chances are better than mine. I was just told to wait a bit longer and call back in after second offers were out (that is after Jan 30) so I could have a better idea of where I sat. She told me it was hard to say whether I was in with a chance as well. I'm not totally sure now, so I might call in again on Monday for clarification.

I'm still a bit confused about this whole offer system, but if we're in the middle and they still have 20~30 more offers to make on top of the 70 they've already released, then there are still 50 or so people ahead of us.

I guess we have to just wait it out :( Good luck! I'll post back here if I get any more information :)

It sounds like she was talking about you getting into 3rd round not 2nd if she asked you to call back after 2nd round offers? if you get an actual list number let me know, and keep me updated on everything that's happening. UON won't tell me where i stand on their list, really strange as UWS and UNSW don't seem to mind.

We're in the middle but heaps of people ahead of us will accept offers to other Uni's, i think UNSW and UON are both considered "Better" for Med, also the interstate applicants may decide it too far away, or they may preference us because were local. The 50 people ahead of us may not accept but it's hard to tell as it changes every year, that's why Penny could only offer us limited information, at least we're not on the bottom!

I guess all you can do now is wait and see. It's going to be disappointing, missing out, but hang in there. Your scores were pretty darn good so it'll happen for you at some point I'm sure.

I will try until I'm in my late 30's, this is my dream, if the interviewer's couldn't see it, i hope my determination will prove it. UMAT marks are so difficult to replicate, 89% last year 97% this year, let's hope the upward trend continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try until I'm in my late 30's, this is my dream, if the interviewer's couldn't see it, i hope my determination will prove it. UMAT marks are so difficult to replicate, 89% last year 97% this year, let's hope the upward trend continues.

That's the right attitude to have.

I didn't manage to get a second round offer into UWS. I also called in today to ask where my finalised place was and apparently I'm a few spots below the cutoff. But I was told demand has been really high this year with more interstate interest and a higher rate of main round acceptance than usual.

If there is a high rate for second round offer acceptance too, then I don't have a chance (is what I was told). Basically I was told I should not expect an offer this year :(

Out of curiosity, do unis consider the people who have already accepted a main round offer and are waiting to see if they got an offer at another uni?

Should I give up now or is there still some hope?

Hey there again :)

When I called, I was also told I was borderline, but to be doubtful more than positive, so I also think I'm out for this year :(. I'm surprised about the higher rate of interstate interest, but I'm not surprised about the higher rate of main round acceptance. It makes sense if you consider that this year the interstate interviews were after everybody else, so main round offers went to NSW kids who were more likely to accept than interstaters who would have declined for a spot in their home state.

I'd say you should still stay hopeful, there could be some people who got a second round offer in their home state after interviewing in NSW or some UWS kids who've gotten offers at UNSW and would rather go there :) (and if you're only a few spots... well you'll only need a few to decline!). I'll still stay hopeful, at least until mid-February :p (edit 2: >< just contacted Penny and it's pretty certain I won't be getting a place this year, though she can't rule it out just yet, thinking about transferring next year perhaps).

EDIT: Yes, I'm 99% sure unis still consider people who've accepted a main round offer as long as you've changed your preferences to reflect it.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding! It really sucks having to hold onto even the smallest of hopes, but I guess its better than nothing :)

What I'm confused about, is that if there was even the slightest chance, why was I told outright that I shouldn't expect anything? It screws with my brain :( I tried asking for the exact number of spots I was behind by, but was told it was meaningless to know that anyway (she left it at 'a few').

Also, I wonder if many people do hold onto two med spots? UNSW was extremely competitive this year (well, it always is) but this year the averages are tremendously high, much more than I expected.

I think I'll just give up any hope for now and start focusing on the year ahead :( Hopefully if not this year, then next year :)

Applying for med is such a torturous process :(

Good luck m8 :), if it's any solace to you, a lot more people than I first thought start med school not directly from HS so yeah, you're still extremely close, if it comes to it, I hope things turn out better for you next year :)

My Friend who is in the JMP said that offers can still be made 3 weeks into the course starting as people drop out of the course. She said that a few people she knows in her cohort got in this way and that UWS also had a similar system. This may provide an opportunity for the few of us who are borderline and may miss out on the official final round offers.

If I get advanced standing for a couple of units this semester, do I get to start second semester units?
Or will I just have less units in the first semester?

There is only one unit per year for UWS med, so getting advanced standing may be difficult. I considered trying for it too, but was told it is rarely granted because of the level of integration of the course.

I got offered a spot today!!!! After I got rejected from all of the UAC rounds the uni contacted me directly :) good luck.

I missed a call from an unknown number today...
I'm praying for it to be the good news... I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it's bloody hard.... (I hope they don't just skip to the next person if someone doesn't pick up their phone hahahah, now that would be a tragic story).

Last edited:

I missed the first call too, and yes it was from a blocked number, however she left a voicemail with the number to call back, this was around 2 - 3 pm. They are only offering bonded places to people who just missed the un-bonded cut off i think. I had given up hope so it was a great surprise.

Last edited:
Mhm yeah, I don't have voicemail set up xD, for me it was around 11am so I don't know why there'd be such a large gap... one can always be hopeful but I'm not expecting anything, I can't be.

Yeah of course it would be unbounded offers by now :D, still bonded beats no offers! Congratulations!

EDIT: Was it Penny that called you?

Last edited:

Back