Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UWS Social life + on-campus living

firenzo

Hello all!

Hawlright so the deal is I'm starting med this year at UWS which I am super pumped about! I am also living on campus.

Now UWS wasn't my top preference, UNSW was, but I like the way the course is taught at UWS more anyway, so I don't have any lingering feelings of disappointment about that haha. However, one of the benefits I saw attending UNSW was that it was inner city, more established (in terms of colleges, social organisation etc), and pretty much all my friends are attending UNSW or USYD. I know that's not really a distinguishing factor when it comes to preferencing med schools, but at the moment I can't help feeling like I'll be missing out on certain experiences in life (essentially living in a traditional college, and living super inner city), and being only 17 straight out of school, I haven't had the chance to do this in previous degrees, or since I come from 2 hours up the coast. I'll also be an hour's train ride from anyone I know.

Essentially what I'm asking for is people to tell me how super duper living at UWS is, what the residential colleges is like, and to assure me that I shouldn't be feeling bummed about missing out on UNSW's social aspects ^_^

_philanderer_

Good luck with that. LOL

PS:I could be more helpful & say I lived on campus my first 2 years of med, and that the community/social life aspect is bleak. Although since ur a med kid & supposedly all med kids stick together to the exclusion of others (or least that's what the rest of the students felt/said... You should be ok for friends :p)

Hello all!

Hawlright so the deal is I'm starting med this year at UWS which I am super pumped about! I am also living on campus.

Now UWS wasn't my top preference, UNSW was, but I like the way the course is taught at UWS more anyway, so I don't have any lingering feelings of disappointment about that haha. However, one of the benefits I saw attending UNSW was that it was inner city, more established (in terms of colleges, social organisation etc), and pretty much all my friends are attending UNSW or USYD. I know that's not really a distinguishing factor when it comes to preferencing med schools, but at the moment I can't help feeling like I'll be missing out on certain experiences in life (essentially living in a traditional college, and living super inner city), and being only 17 straight out of school, I haven't had the chance to do this in previous degrees, or since I come from 2 hours up the coast. I'll also be an hour's train ride from anyone I know.

Essentially what I'm asking for is people to tell me how super duper living at UWS is, what the residential colleges is like, and to assure me that I shouldn't be feeling bummed about missing out on UNSW's social aspects ^_^

Hey there, nice to see another future college resident, I'll be moving on campus too. Obviously I can't speak from experience about living on campus at UWS, but I don't think you'll be disadvantaged because its not a traditional college experience. From what I've heard, living on campus anywhere is a really great experience and Im sure the community on college will be friendly. Before now, I was studying at Newcastle and commuting, and that is certainly a different uni experience. Myself and others in the same situation agree that you are much more removed and less involved and enthusiastic than the students who live on campus (and those at newcastle were not in traditional colleges either), so I'm looking forward to the difference this time round. Ultimately I think it will mean my life is centred more around Uni and Im sure that will be a good thing for medicine. You will make friends quickly. I will be in the townhouses if that helps :). Don't feel that you are missing out, the staff and students seem super friendly and happy and I for one am really excited about the program, despite having my heart set on newcastle for the past 5 years.

Oh and it looks like UWS med has a very healthy social life. Im sure other students will be able to vouch for this, but it looks like the med society organise a lot of events

firenzo

I'm thinking I may aswell do the science bridging course (since it's free haha), so I'm maybe going around the 18th, depending how prepared I am. I emailed them like a week ago to see when people usually moved in, and they said 140 people were already settled, which is apparently just under half the college.

I'm thinking I may aswell do the science bridging course (since it's free haha), so I'm maybe going around the 18th, depending how prepared I am. I emailed them like a week ago to see when people usually moved in, and they said 140 people were already settled, which is apparently just under half the college.

Wow that is a lot.. I just didn't expect people to be there that early before semester starts. I expected more communication from them but I haven't heard anything about my room or whatever. Im conflicted about the bridging course. I don't really want to move a week early as Im still working at the moment but I don't want to be disadvantaged..

dnzlmeth

Leave the front door open in CBD, neighbours will close the door for you.
Leave the front door open in inner west Sydney, you will get robbed
LEave the front door open in Campbelltown, people will move into your house/abode.

LEave the front door open in Campbelltown, people will move into your house/abode.

Well thats encouraging haha

Dsquall

I've lived in the west all my life and I've only been threatened with a knife while on my way home once!

Riproot

-^(-.-)^-
it's not ~that~ bad.

Just do what I do and don't own anything of value ^_^