Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Verbal Reasoning

sloth

Hi there,

Any tips for verbal reasoning? I only get to do around 30 questions in 21 minutes. I am not aiming to finish 44 questions but would definitely like to be able to attempt more questions. :(

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I haven’t done any UCAT questions, so forgive me if you’re already employing this strategy, but one thing that worked for me to save time was just going with my gut instinct and immediately moving on. I noticed that I’d rarely ever change my answer if I spent more time thinking about it, and if I did, I often changed it to an incorrect answer. If you’re not already doing this, give it a go.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Sometime I found useful is to move your mouse at a consistent rate slowly down the screen as you read. That way you know the pace at which you should be reading at. If you are too far behind it, either skip forward with your eyes or begin to glance at each line. Have a quick look at the start of the line and look for any key words, then flick your eyes to the middle of the line and read a little then flick your eyes to the end of the line and read a little. You can do it at smaller intervals if you have time or your understanding begins to fall apart. This works for me for the most part. Still a little slow though.

M

medicallyblonde

I will definitely try that! Did you only read the question and try to answer it before you looked at the options? Because I feel like I spend too long 'considering' the options.

I recognise my wording on my process wasn't ideal with my explanation, I am sorry!

So I read the question, scan the passage for the key terms in the question then look at all the options. With questions based on the author's opinion or what they would agree/disagree with I tend to read the first sentences of each paragraph and then the last sentence of the passage, and that doesn't tend to fail me.

sloth

I tried three passages using the scanning method. First passage - all wrong. Second passage - all correct. Third passage - half correct and half wrong.
:confused::D I need to try out a few more times.

M

medicallyblonde

I tried three passages using the scanning method. First passage - all wrong. Second passage - all correct. Third passage - half correct and half wrong.
:confused::D I need to try out a few more times.

What were the question types? True/False, short comprehension or long comprehension?

Ali_MA

MBBS III - Uni Adel
I recognise my wording on my process wasn't ideal with my explanation, I am sorry!

So I read the question, scan the passage for the key terms in the question then look at all the options. With questions based on the author's opinion or what they would agree/disagree with I tend to read the first sentences of each paragraph and then the last sentence of the passage, and that doesn't tend to fail me.

Ok, thank you very much. I will attempt this new method with hopes in improving my VR scores.

Hi I was wondering for the broad statement questions (like which one of these are not false etc) should you go through each answer option, find the keyword in the statement then find it in the text? Is this the fastest method of executing this question?

Dnama

Hey All, What do you consider a long passage (as in more than 3 paragraphs?) that you can skips questions of and come back to it later?

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering how VR is marked - for example out of the 4 questions within one stem, if I get 3 correct but 1 wrong, do I still get a mark for it?

Thanks!

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi Guys

I'm just wondering how VR is marked - for example out of the 4 questions within one stem, if I get 3 correct but 1 wrong, do I still get a mark for it?

Thanks!
I assume you're referring to the four questions attached to a single extract/text? In that case, getting 3 correct but 1 wrong will net you 3 marks :D

dande

I've been not doing too great in VR. I heard that last years VR was unbelievably long and inference based. I was wondering what approach to VR people who did well had. For example did you skim read the passage and then answer questions from what you remember or did you go to the question first, identify keywords and then scan the passage for support?