VIC Internship explanation

Discussion in 'Internship' started by pi, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pi

pi Junior doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    What are you interested in? What hospital do you want to work at? There isn't a list of "do this and you'll be right", the things I've most got involved in have been things I was (obviously) interested in, doing them because they were interesting rather than because they looked good on my CV.

2. YinZh11

YinZh11 New Member

Hey guys, just wondering, if I haven't been shortlisted for the interview, would I still get matched with the hospital?

3. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Junior Medical Officer
    As a general rule, if you are not invited to interview for a job where selection includes an interview, then no, you won't get matched with the hospital. In states where you normally get allocated a position without an interview (such as in most of NSW for internship) then if you don't interview, that's normal.

However, in Victoria, where internships are merit based and competitive due to this - there may be a handful of exceptions to this rule and these tend to be in relatively more undersubscribed hospitals. If you're looking to get into a very popular hospital (RMH/Alfred/St.V/Austin), and interviews have gone out, and you haven't got one, you're probably out of the running, so you should probably re-evaluate where you think you would feasibly like to go.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. pi

pi Junior doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    At Monash Health last year, they accepted quite a number of people they did not interview. As a result, if my info is correct, they didn't interview anyone this year.

Alfred / RMH / Austin / StV would all be in-demand enough to never be in that situation.

5. shky

shky New Member

Thanks Pi. Has anyone receive any news from Monash Health yet? Thanks.