VIC Internship explanation

Discussion in 'Internship' started by pi, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    I agree with Perplex. It has a role, but it's definitely not a huge role. I wouldn't be hanging your hat on it.

You can't - hospitals keep that information close to their chest. Only some hospitals release any form of breakdown (Eastern did last year - InternZ score as 70%, the clinical referees 18%, the non-clinical referee 4%, the cover letter 4%, and the CV 4%), and even then they were reasonably broad and mentioned "CV" rather than the breakdown of the CV.

2. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Thank you Pi.
    Also I understand each year at the end of April, there is a Medical Expo. Is it worth attending it? Would the hospitals divulge any information about their process on how they would select their interns there? Or they give out contact details of the recruitment officers there?

3. pi

Junior doctor
    Worth going to? Yes. Always good to speak to the hospitals and learn more about the program. Having not gone myself, I hear that you speak to a mix of HR and medical people, so a good chance to see if a particular hospital might suit you.

Would they divulge any secrets? No haha. You can try your luck, but don't expect any profound piece of information. They're more likely to give more info at their individual information sessions.

4. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Thanks Pi. Sorry for asking this: the hospitals’ individual information sessions, I assume they are generally held in April each year? Or how do I find out about when and where they are held (sorry for asking such a question)?

5. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    I literally just googled ‘Vic internship hospital information sessions’: https://www.pmcv.com.au/documents/c...tern-match-hospital-information-sessions/file

This is for 2018 students/2019 interns, presumably. I’d think an updated one will be released for 2020 interns.

Zombie and Crow like this.
  6. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Thanks a lot, LMG! I should have thought of google too. Really appreciate your information.

7. pi

Junior doctor
    In addition to the PMCV (as LMG has linked), it is worth periodically checking individual hospital websites because some require you to RSVP and so forth. For example, I remember Austin had some process where you had to "buy" a ticket to an event (the cost was free, of course) and there were limited spots.

If you're particular anxious you can email the health service workforce department later this year.

Zombie likes this.
  8. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    The document I linked does include (some of?) that information, including links to “register” or “book” for the various hospitals that hold their own sessions.

Zombie likes this.
  9. pi

Junior doctor
    I know. Some hospitals tend to randomly release things too without telling anyone haha, and in my day some people found a few open ones before PMCV did.

Zombie and LMG! like this.
  10. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Thank you Pi and Perplex.
    On 1 of the previous pages, I remember Pi said to work on one’s weakness one could enrol in some online courses. It would help to beef up the cv as well. May I ask where I can find out about those courses, eg about leadership, or gynaecology? Thanks.

11. pi

Junior doctor
    Online courses aren't available for everything, and unfortunately I have no personal interest in gynaecology so cannot recommend anything for that field.

Leadership events tend to be held in-person, rather than online. In regards to medical student events, they can range from local events, such as MLDS, to national events, such as the AMSA NLDS. Again, I can't say I had a huge interest in attending these sorts of events, but they may be useful if your CV is a little bare!

12. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Where can I find Monash InternZ score calculator? Normally the official Z score is released by Monash Uni itself for its students? When is it normally released? Thanks I understand from Pi's information on page 1 that Monash Uni will release the Z score to its students in April/May. Is my understanding correct?

I have used the Z score estimator developed by some random student and came up with a zscore of 2.9, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Hence I would like to know how to obtain one that is used by Monash Uni itself. Could anyone or Pi help me here? Thanks

May I ask a question: I’m in 5th year at Monash (2019). I’ll apply for internship in May 2019 and assuming I’ll be allocated an internship in 1 rural hospital to be carried out in 2020. Would I be permitted to defer carrying out that internship for a year, ie to be carried out in 2021? Please anyone? I’d appreciate your opinions/advices? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  13. pi

Junior doctor
    My z-score was released 2/5/17.

The z-score calculators, and there are a couple out there, are nothing but estimates. I wouldn't rely too heavily on them, they're probably most accurate for people with higher z-scores because people who volunteer data to those sorts of things tend to be people who have done well (an inherent bias).

You do not get access to the "calculator" that Monash uses because there is no way Monash would release the data for every single student, which is the only way of accurately getting your z-score.

I doubt you would be allowed to defer unless there was a very good reason, and even that would be hospital-dependent. Worth noting that even if you get a metropolitan internship, there is every chance you would need to still spend at least 10 weeks in the rural hospital.

14. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Given the nature of the z-score which is really in essence a comparison of how you did compared to the remainder of your cohort the only real way to get an exact z-score is to actually have Monash calculate it for you which means you would have to be getting it directly from them (especially if you don't have access to everyone else's marks which I highly suspect is the case).

15. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Oh, so that's how the real z score will be done. Thank you so much, Pi and Mama. I'm so grateful to both of your for your information.

Just in case I didn't ask my other question about the deferral of the internship correctly, may I clarify it. Is it permissible for me to defer the lodging of APPLICATION for internship for a year? Say, I'll be completing my 5th year at Monash in Dec 2019 and hence graduating then. If I then take off 2020 as a gap year doing other stuff or travelling and then lodge an application for a matched position for internship in May 2020? to start doing the internship in 2021. Is it possible? Please Pi or anyone? Thanks for your help again

16. pi

Junior doctor
    Yes that should be possible. Best to check with PMCV (via email) just in case though.

17. Zombie

Zombie New Member

Thanks again very much, Pi. Thats a good idea about getting it confirmed in email with PMCV. I will do that. Cheers

18. heart

heart New Member

when do you reckon its safe to come back from a long overseas trip? According to this Intern and HMO Term Dates ;2020 interns start on the 13th of Jan. Assuming most places start one week earlier due to orientation this would make it the 6th of Jan start date? However, my concern is if there is a lot of paperwork that needs to done before that, if someone can give input it would be much appreciated :)

19. pi

Junior doctor
    Most paperwork should be online work. Reasonably safe to come back weekend before orientation. Always safe to check with your hospital network first though.

20. 1234med

1234med Regular Member

Hi Pi, Thank you for this. What so you mean by St Vs having a history of nepotism? Like consultants at St Vs try get their kids in?