VIC Internship explanation

Discussion in 'Internship' started by pi, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    I haven't looked into O+G because it's not a career path I'd ever want, but generally speaking - it makes no difference. Theoretically, we should all be on the same playing field after med school is done.

Edit: looking at the O+G points system there do seem to be points for rural background, I'd say this is unusual among colleges, and I struggle to understand the motive behind this. A cursory look at various RACS scoring schemes confirms this. Furthermore, looking at the Vic internship system, rurality certainly does not play a role.

1234med likes this.
  2. 1234med

1234med Regular Member

3. paradoxys1

paradoxys1 New Member

Hi pi, I’m currently in final year med, and have a z-score if 1.9. I just finished a BMedSc and received a HD for it across the year however - do you think that will that improve my chances of getting an internship at an outer metro hospital if combined with a good CV and references or should I just focus on rural internships?

4. pi

Junior doctor
    First of all, congrats on the HD in the BMedSc(Hons), fantastic work! Something to be really proud of :)

Really hard for me to predict from your situation - because I never asked around for people's z-scores. Although, I agree that a rural hospital is more likely.

However, who knows what could happen, especially with some good research history behind you. My advice would be to not focus on rural sites, but to apply to where you would want to go. If things haven't changed, there are 15 preferences and several months until applications are due, more that enough space and time to cover your bases with rural sites and apply to many metro sites. With such a great deal of time left, you can dedicate quite a bit of time to the cover letters etc now, such that your "focus" is broad.

Certainly, I would still focus on having great references (with comments!) and on the CV side, I would definitely mention that you got a First Class Honours in your BMedSc(Hons) year, that is always impressive.

5. Butterfreeeh

Butterfreeeh New Member

Hey guys - I'm a final year med student from Monash, Z Score 5.2 (I took a gap year last year). I had a couple questions:
    1) in regards to the PMCV referee situation, is it common for the consultants to just forget to fill these out? lolol My supervisor right now is amazing, and I'd love him to be my referee. I'm also sure he'd say yes, but he seems sorta technologically stunted so I dunno if I should pick him? Advice?
    2) although I did fairly well in med school, I have every intention of doing GP. Becoming a GP is the reason I did med in the first place. So I kind of want to work in the more outer suburban hospitals, as opposed to the inner city ones. I'm not interested in putting myself among super ambitious people when I really just want to get more general training. How hard is it for a Monash student like me to get an internship at say, Western or Northern Health? I'll preference Eastern Health as well, but I live super close to Western Health so that would be great lol

6. pi

Junior doctor
    Haha you'd be surprised - probably not as technologically stunted as you may think :p As said in my main post, I would certainly be asking them about being your referee now, and then remind them later in the year. If they're not replying to your reminders, that might be a sign to move on. I definitely would not put down a referee who would not reply to my emails.

I know Monash students who have got into all the sites you mention, and I highly doubt they did as well as you z-score wise. I'm sure any of those networks would be lucky to have you. As would Monash Health, which is very general as well and gets you a foot in the door to paeds and O+G rotations in residency. These may be harder to get at a site like Northern, for example.

Furthermore, although you don't want to work at the bigger hospitals, I suggest you apply and interview there anyway. I think it will be a great learning experience.

Best of luck, although I don't think you need much of it ;)

7. Butterfreeeh

Butterfreeeh New Member

oh yeah sweet! Good idea! I may wait a bit before asking them to be my supervisor - I want to dazzle them a bit more lolol :D

Ah okay fineeeee haha - I'll think about it. But if some RMH intern comes and slits my throat as I sleep, I swear I'm gonna haunt you haha. (JK obviously) I think I'd rather avoid O+G like the plague - the next time I want to be near a birthsuite is when I become a dad lol.

Anyway, thanks! I appreciate the rapidity of your reply haha

8. pi

Junior doctor
    Hahaha the RMH is definitely an experience :p

Fair enough, I'd agree with that :p

9. justwondering

justwondering New Member

RMH :)
    How is the internship experience there in RMH ?

Is it difficult to get an internship at RMH ?

10. pi

Junior doctor
    You seem a bit young to be worrying about internships, based off your other posts.

I have a few friends there - busy place but they love it. But most people love where they are, so it's not a feeling felt exclusively by RMH interns.

Given your recent posts about studying in Adelaide, your chances in that case would be close to zero.

11. Butterfreeeh

Butterfreeeh New Member

So I've been thinking of doing my internship and residency at Barwon Health (its super close to home), and I want to pursue either GP or Psychiatry. Now I know you can totally move around a lot and so its potentially too early to ask this question, but is it a good health service (specifically for psychiatry)? Maybe this isn't the right forum to ask this, but on their website they claim to have a 'really high passrate' but I'm not sure what that means lol.

12. pi

Junior doctor
    Not sure anyone on here has been to Barwon Health as a student or doctor unfortunately, I personally don't think I know anyone who was either. I think PagingDr might be the best place to go to as there are a few Deakin folk around there, in addition to information days, expos, etc.

With regards to "pass rates" (whatever that means!), that would not be super high on my list of things to look at, certainly I'd be more keen on knowing how the interns are treated, what educational opportunities there are, what rotations there are, etc. first.

13. cloudysky

cloudysky New Member

Hi everyone,
    I’m currently a final year Monash student, and just got back from my elective rotation 1 overseas. I have a GP from last year sem 2 who has agreed to be one of my referees, but I’m getting slightly paranoid that I may not get one in rotation 2.

Is there any possibility of getting a reference in rotation 3 or is that too short of a time? And how much are the references weighted for intern applications if I plan to go to a smaller metro hospital eg Eastern?

14. pi

Junior doctor
    Definitely ok to get a reference from rotation 3, ensure to make an amazing first impression though.

For Eastern, when I applied, references were worth 18% (for completion: Z-score 70%, non-clinical reference 4%, cover letter 4%, CV 4%, no interview). They were the only health service who released that sort of information. I don't know if that's changed at all.