VIC Internship explanation

Discussion in 'Internship' started by pi, Dec 1, 2017.

1. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    Wouldn't think it would matter.

2. paradoxys1

paradoxys1 New Member

Hi Pi, I was wondering how difficult it is to come back o metro after a year if I go rural for internship? I’ve been hearing conflicted information regarding the difficulty.

3. pi

Junior doctor
    Always more difficult to enter a health network as an unknown compared to if you were already an intern there - so it's always an uphill battle. Overall, it depends on where you want to work and how good you are, "metro hospitals" describes quite a few different health networks, and securing a PGY2 job is going to easier at some than others.

4. LevatorScap

LevatorScap New Member

Hello there! I'm a priority 2 International student who wants to do internship in city or outer metro but unsure about the ratio of metro to rural hospitals to preference. Although I have a Z score of 4.3, which may be considered 'not bad', I imagine there are lots of high achieving internationals fighting for very few metro spots so that makes this a very average score. I don't have any publications but recently submitted an abstract to a conference and it is pending acceptance. Is it a bad idea to apply for mostly metro spots? Also, should I be selecting the rural services with more intern spots to maximise chances (since some have only 5 spots)? Lastly is it a good or bad idea to bring up the fact that I am P2 in my hospital cover letters (to emphasise that I'd like to practise in Aus)? Thanks in advance for your advice :)

5. pi

Junior doctor
    I don't have a lot of experience with cat 2 applications, but I think a 50-50 split of metro-rural would sound reasonable? I think it would be best to ask some previous cat 2s though.

Regarding cover letters, I don't think there is any need to include that unless you think it's particularly important. Personally, I wouldn't.