'What papers should I do at UoA for graduate entry' Chat/enquiries

Hi there!
Because of not really knowing what I want from my future, I was thinking about pulling out of the med pathway for BHSc in Semester 2. However, I still want to keep med as an option just in case I want to get in through postgraduate studies.
I was wondering if I could complete MEDSCI 142 at a later stage as I would really like this semester just to be about figuring out what I like and what I don’t, or if I even need to do it at all. I’ve already emailed FMHS but I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar?
Thanks!

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc
Hi there!
Because of not really knowing what I want from my future, I was thinking about pulling out of the med pathway for BHSc in Semester 2. However, I still want to keep med as an option just in case I want to get in through postgraduate studies.
I was wondering if I could complete MEDSCI 142 at a later stage as I would really like this semester just to be about figuring out what I like and what I don’t, or if I even need to do it at all. I’ve already emailed FMHS but I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar?
Thanks!
If you're keen to stick in the biological/health/medical science field, I'd recommend doing 142 this year. It is a prerequisite for a lot of 2nd year papers (mainly MEDSCIs but also some BIOSCIs). It will give you a taste of physiology, which is some of the real mediciney stuff that you won't have encountered in your first semester papers. Doing this paper might help you decide if you're still into medicine or not (although there is much more to it beyond the science!). If you're considering from moving from the biological/health/medical sciences altogether, then it would be cool to take the opportunity to explore different options. 142 is a tough paper at the end of the day so if you don't have to do it then don't. But if you're sticking to the general field of human biology it is a necessary paper to understand the basic workings of the body and should be done sooner rather than later in my opinion!