Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

'What papers should I do at UoO for graduate entry' Chat, Enquiries and Help

Hey guys, I'm a HSFY student this year and I don't think I'll get into med (my grades are very low). I'm applying to do BSci next year (hoping to apply for med through grad entry later). I'm thinking of majoring in Microbiology and minoring in Public Health. Does anyone know much about these papers and are they a good idea to take for postgrad entry? Thank you in advance! :)

ThaDarkRose

Hey guys, I'm a HSFY student this year and I don't think I'll get into med (my grades are very low). I'm applying to do BSci next year (hoping to apply for med through grad entry later). I'm thinking of majoring in Microbiology and minoring in Public Health. Does anyone know much about these papers and are they a good idea to take for postgrad entry? Thank you in advance!

200 level Microbiology
Semester 1 MICR221 is relatively easy - different people have different opinions. This year(2019) my friend scored 40/40 for both internal test, my other friend scored 39/40 for both internal test. Final test is slightly harder, respectively my friends got A+ and A. Hence hardwork/effort in = results out.
Semester 2 MICR223 is a weird one - lots of interesting pathways (debatable) - hard to do well in, lots of rote learning of the microbes etc.
regret taking this paper. Hard work in =/= (does not equal) to results. I scraped an A-, my lowest mark so far. My 2 friends both got A, and both did not like the paper.

ThaDarkRose

Hey I am going to take 6 300 level papers & 4 200 level papers in 2020.
Does anyone know any 300 level papers that do not clash with Bsc PHAL major? Turns out I cannot pick any 300 level ANAT paper with PHAL 300 level papers at all...
Looking for 2 more 300 level papers that do not clash with PHAL 300 level papers.

I've taken PHSL231, ANAT241, PHAL211, ANAT242, ANAT243, MICR223, PHAL212 (if any questions on these paper I'm more than happy to give my opinion/structure of these papers

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Does anyone know any 300 level papers that do not clash with Bsc PHAL major? Turns out I cannot pick any 300 level ANAT paper with PHAL 300 level papers at all...
Looking for 2 more 300 level papers that do not clash with PHAL 300 level papers.

I've taken PHSL231, ANAT241, PHAL211, ANAT242, ANAT243, MICR223, PHAL212 (if any questions on these paper I'm more than happy to give my opinion/structure of these papers

Check if you have the prerequisites for some MICR papers and if they don't clash with PHAL. Same with PHSL300.

Gemma

How was PHAL211? My friends told me to stay away from PHAL as its hard but I am a Neuro major and feel like a huge gap is missing in my knowledge from not doing any PHAL. I would be doing 2 300 and another 200 level paper during that semester. Is it more about memorising or understanding and applying knowledge? And is it a big workload compared to other 200 lvl papers (i've done ANAT, PHSL etc.)? Thanks :)

ThaDarkRose

How was PHAL211? My friends told me to stay away from PHAL as it's hard but I am a Neuro major and feel like a huge gap is missing in my knowledge from not doing any PHAL. I would be doing 2 300 and another 200 level paper during that semester. Is it more about memorizing or understanding and applying knowledge? And is it a big workload compared to other 200 lvl papers (I've done ANAT, PHSL etc.)? Thanks :)
PHAL211 is supposedly a hard paper, I personally didn't like how there was a post-lab assessment for every lab. Labs were 4 hours long, but you can leave 1.5 hours in. PHAL211 is mostly learning and understanding, less application. Honestly, not too bad. I scored an 88, assessments are marked nicely. In my opinion, was my hardest 1st sem paper compare to PHSL231 and ANAT241. PHAL211 also overlaps a lot with PHSL231, as it goes into depth on receptors which is nice. Possible to do well. PHAL212 is easier by a far margin.

Hey, was just wondering what are some nice second year papers to fill my year with that are relatively easy to do well in (I know that no paper is easy but some are compared to others), i've ben told that some of the 200 level STAT and CHEM aren't too bad? Cheers in advance

Hey, was just wondering what are some nice second year papers to fill my year with that are relatively easy to do well in (I know that no paper is easy but some are compared to others), i've ben told that some of the 200 level STAT and CHEM aren't too bad? Cheers in advance
would recommend ANTH203! More science-based ones could be HUNT241, BIOC223 and GENE222. MICR221 isn't too bad if you keep on top of work :) I haven't done any 200 level STAT or CHEM but have heard from friends that 200 level STAT is a good option if you like maths

Gemma

Ive been looking into SPEX205, EDUC252, PSME201 and PUBH202 - these sound like they'd all be okay from the descriptions, but if anyone has taken any of these i'd love to know how you found them!

I would recommend looking at BIOA201 for second year too.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
For summer school, I recommend Forb201. Probably one of the most fun papers I've done. If you add Bioa201 to this during summer school, I'll be honest it is difficult to get A+ on both.

I recommend taking Stat210 as well during the semester. It doesn't have plussage and I did screw up the internals (since I didn't do any work for it) but the finals is easy if you actually do the work. Stat210 content is quite minimal which is why I managed to cover everything in a week prior to the exam. Did well enough in the finals that I still got an A+.

I haven't done Gene222 but I wish I should have. I hear it is probably one of the easiest 200 level papers out there. Some of my friends have said that it is the highest mark they've ever gotten in any paper they've done for their degrees which includes 100 level papers.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
All in all, however, I do only see those people do well in their papers because they actually liked it. Some friends do well in an "easy" paper like Gene222 or Stat210 but other friends do not because they don't like it.

Imo it's best to choose a paper you like that will open up a pathway to 300 level papers you may also want to do. 300 level papers are weighted more. Choose a paper you will like in 200 and 300. At the end of the day, an A in one 200 and one 300 level paper is better than an A+ in one 200 and an A- in one 300 level paper.

Tldr: 300 level papers are weighted more. Stop having tunnel vision for only 200 level papers.

Fencess

lil doggo
Ive been looking into SPEX205, EDUC252, PSME201 and PUBH202 - these sound like they'd all be okay from the descriptions, but if anyone has taken any of these i'd love to know how you found them!

PSME201:
I took this in 2018 when it was a brand new paper. So I think they were a bit more forgiving then usual. This was a good paper and really interesting. All the information is on the slides and it’s engaging content. I personally enjoyed all the topics and found the paper well worth while. To get high grades it’s very doable.
There’s a BA/conceptual content and psychology and memory based content (sexual anatomy). I hadn’t done any psych before and I was at no disadvantage. The readings are a joke.
I’d probably give it a 9/10 but they’ve likely worked out all the kinks by now so it’s probably better (no pun intended)

PUBH202:
Ahhh yikes this paper is a bit of a joke. I took it in 2017. For the exam we had to discuss a health promotion initiative discussed in class from the guest lecturers. Half the BOH students (who take this paper as well) went to the first guest lecturer, wrote extensive notes and then didn’t go to the next 20 lectures. I mean, it’s efficient. Extremely easy to do well in. I found it very disengaging however. Don’t let the general classes demotivating attitude toward the content drag you down however (BOH strikes again). Make sure you have a good group for your group project. Dull as a symphony written by a sheep but easy A+ so a respectable 7/10.

Gemma

PSME201:
I took this in 2018 when it was a brand new paper. So I think they were a bit more forgiving then usual. This was a good paper and really interesting. All the information is on the slides and it’s engaging content. I personally enjoyed all the topics and found the paper well worth while. To get high grades it’s very doable.
There’s a BA/conceptual content and psychology and memory based content (sexual anatomy). I hadn’t done any psych before and I was at no disadvantage. The readings are a joke.
I’d probably give it a 9/10 but they’ve likely worked out all the kinks by now so it’s probably better (no pun intended)

PUBH202:
Ahhh yikes this paper is a bit of a joke. I took it in 2017. For the exam we had to discuss a health promotion initiative discussed in class from the guest lecturers. Half the BOH students (who take this paper as well) went to the first guest lecturer, wrote extensive notes and then didn’t go to the next 20 lectures. I mean, it’s efficient. Extremely easy to do well in. I found it very disengaging however. Don’t let the general classes demotivating attitude toward the content drag you down however (BOH strikes again). Make sure you have a good group for your group project. Dull as a symphony written by a sheep but easy A+ so a respectable 7/10.
Thanks so much for this! Super helpful :) I think PSME201 will be very relevant to my degree so will definitely be taking that!

Fencess

lil doggo
PUBH204 Hauora Māori: Challenges and Opportunities. This paper wasn't so bad. There was a free 15% for completing this online thing which maybe took like 1.5-2 hours. There were like 'reflections' that were worth a few % each. I think I would recommend it if you're more essay-ish inclined, but it's good regardless. Most of the readings are dense and boring, but you go through them in the tutorials. If you're interested in health inequalities or expanding your horizons and learning about different cultures I'd recommend this paper. I'd probably give it an 8.75/10. They do give you a free 15% so it's probably worth a higher mark.

Anyone done FORS201? Just looking for any opinions out there as I haven't found much online. Also would ANAT and PHSL papers be better to take for an undergrad (ie better preparation for postgrad med) or would it be better to focus on something you are better at/enjoy. (pretty much a roundabout way of asking will you get retaught the ANAT/PHSL in postgrad)

Thanks in advance!

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Anyone done FORS201? Just looking for any opinions out there as I haven't found much online. Also would ANAT and PHSL papers be better to take for an undergrad (ie better preparation for postgrad med) or would it be better to focus on something you are better at/enjoy. (pretty much a roundabout way of asking will you get retaught the ANAT/PHSL in postgrad)

Thanks in advance!

I took Forb201 in summer school and I hear fors201 is quite similar. Forb201 is probs the most fun paper I took in Uni.

Thanks in advance!
From looking at the content my med and dent friends are studying, a lot of ANAT/PHSL papers do overlap w med so yes, you will be retaught some content. I'd say focus on what you are better at, which is often what you enjoy. There are definitely people who have got into postgrad med w for example, math degrees, and so if you are better at/enjoy math, this could be a very good option. Some people also want to take the opportunity to study a subject they're passionate about that is completely different to med-related stuff otherwise they would never get the chance to. I knew a guy who purposely chose the post-grad med pathway so that he could study history in his undergrad! However, you can still take a decent amount of non-science papers too (e.g. Asian archaeology is a popular option for postgrads) even if you pick a ANAT/PHSL based degree. Personally, I enjoy ANAT/PHSL and like the idea that I'll be better prepped for med after doing ANAT/PHSL in my undergrad (biomed - functional human biology) so that's the path I, and a lot of others take.

Last edited: