Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] High School Discussion Thread

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
im seriously considering sace now, just one thing. I can decided if i should do chem or economics for my last subject. I have covered about half the sace chem course and nearly all of the economics course in IB. I enjoy economics more so obviously i should pick it. But I also enjoy chem albeit not as much but I am thinking chem scales better?

Does chem scale better than economics or is it around the same? Does economics scale down?

Do you need chem for pre-reqs?

formula16

pre reqs for adelaide uni medicine are either biology, chemistry or maths studies, im taking maths studies already so i meet the pre req. So economics scales down? Which is a shame seeing as it was my favourite subject in IB and I have already done the entire stage 2 sace course last year so i would be at a massive advantage already

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Do you have all your pre-reqs for the other medical schools? This is by far the most important factor when choosing subjects. Might just wanna double check everything.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
you need english and chem for other interstate unis but at this stage, i have no intention of moving interstate

At the crunch of offers time, you might regret not applying to the other unis. Its hard to get in anywhere, let alone applying for one uni only.

formula16

but even if i were to get an offer, i dont think i would be prepared to leave adelaide.. I would probably pursue law at adelaide uni and then try to transfer, if not then law sounds interesting to me as well

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Well sure. If you are happy with your back up plan, by all means. :)

formula16

i'm not quite familiar with the unis yet, i know that adelaide uni does undergrad med, are you allowed to transfer from another course, say law? Also i heard some people say flinders does med as well but i couldnt really find anything on their website about undergraduate entry and requirements

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
i'm not quite familiar with the unis yet, i know that adelaide uni does undergrad med, are you allowed to transfer from another course, say law? Also i heard some people say flinders does med as well but i couldnt really find anything on their website about undergraduate entry and requirements

Yes you can tranfser from law to med, but only if you study law at UADEL (this is called nonstandard entry - have a search around). You can find a lot of the answers to your questions here on MSO just looking at our articles.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Okay thank you. A quick question, what are the "good" unis in Australia for med? I found this Undergraduate Medicine Universities - Med Students Online but im not sure which unis would be good if i were to consider interstate moves.

A very contested question. Each graduate of a medical course will have the same knowledge and experience within relative terms. People can always say their uni is the best, but ultimately all medical graduates will be the same. If you are still wanting to read more, there are a few threads around which discuss 'which uni is the best'. A more important question would be, where would you want to do your internship, as usually interstaters have more trouble securing a spot in a state which they didnt graduate from.

formula16

A very contested question. Each graduate of a medical course will have the same knowledge and experience within relative terms. People can always say their uni is the best, but ultimately all medical graduates will be the same. If you are still wanting to read more, there are a few threads around which discuss 'which uni is the best'. A more important question would be, where would you want to do your internship, as usually interstaters have more trouble securing a spot in a state which they didnt graduate from.

probably sydney or melbourne so i guess monash and UNSW?

formula16

okay thanks. I think i will still stay here though. The more pressing issue now is if economics gets scaled down or not. I enjoy economics more than chem but i will take chem if economics gets scaled down. The pre reqs for medicine at adelaide uni are bio,chem or math studies. I am already taking math studies so I meet adelaide uni pre reqs

Raro

Hi everyone,

I'm taking A Level English Literature, Biology, Chemistry & Physics. I completed Maths last year but didn't do so well.

With CIE, I believe that universities take your best three A levels (or four for UNSW and UWS apparently?).
If a subject is listed as a prerequisite, i.e. Maths or Chemistry, does this mean that they will look at my Maths / Chem grade as part of the three grades which decide my ATAR even if they would not otherwise be in my top three, or am I just required to pass the subjects to a decent level?

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to answer this, but no harm in trying I guess?
Thanks!

collocus

Hey Raro, they take only the best 3. You just need to pass those at a decent level (I think that's a C grade or better)

lumos

Probably a very late response to this thread but if it's still useful I took:
Chem
French
Literature
Philosophy
Psychology
Biology

A completely random mix of subjects, but just goes to show that you don't have to do all sciences and maths to have a shot at med! :) it's better to do what you enjoy and what you think you can do well in. And always do Chemistry.