Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] High School Discussion Thread

waltbb

I don't think it matters too much, most uni papers assume little to no knowledge of the material so I'd suggest doing something you enjoy at school (that still meets any requirements for your uni), as it's much easier to do well in a subject you enjoy

Last edited:

Auror

Lurker
I've chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics Studies and English Studies (SACE only requires four actual subjects). I told a teacher that I planned to do medicine and they guessed my subjects correctly so I suppose I've made a good decision!

lumos

I've chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics Studies and English Studies (SACE only requires four actual subjects). I told a teacher that I planned to do medicine and they guessed my subjects correctly so I suppose I've made a good decision!

Those sound perfect. And it's great that you've opted to take English; SA kids can run into trouble when they choose not to do English and find that pretty much all interstate unis require it for any course...

Audrey

Are there any medical students out there who weren't as strong in Chemistry and Maths compared to subjects like Biology and English, but still was successful when gaining entrance into medicine ?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Are there any medical students out there who weren't as strong in Chemistry and Maths compared to subjects like Biology and English, but still was successful when gaining entrance into medicine ?

Hi @Audrey ,

Please, refrain from double, in this case, triple posting the same question.

To answer your question in a simple way: You don't have to be natural in all those subjects as long as you can do them enough to get the grades. I hope someone else will be able to elaborate further on my point.

Cheers,

Audrey

Hi @Audrey ,

Please, refrain from double, in this case, triple posting the same question.

To answer your question in a simple way: You don't have to be natural in all those subjects as long as you can do them enough to get the grades. I hope someone else will be able to elaborate further on my point.

Cheers,
Oh, sorry :) I didn't realize that I did that. I did create my own thread, but I posted it on here so I could get a reply quicker. Anyway, thanks for your reply. Are you currently studying medicine ?

Isiyara

UQ MD II
I took:
English
Mathematics B
Mathematics C
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Totally agree with lumos though, doing what you enjoy and think you'll do well in while considering any prerequisite subjects for courses is the best thing to do. I had to take English of course but had absolutely no interest in it and as a result found it incredibly difficult to put in any effort.

Also I found that an advantage to doing three sciences (or doing two maths subjects) is that the assessment types are pretty much the same and they require the same kind of thinking so it becomes a lot quicker and easier to complete assignments and improve on the whole.

Audrey

I took:
English
Mathematics B
Mathematics C
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Totally agree with lumos though, doing what you enjoy and think you'll do well in while considering any prerequisite subjects for courses is the best thing to do. I had to take English of course but had absolutely no interest in it and as a result found it incredibly difficult to put in any effort.

Also I found that an advantage to doing three sciences (or doing two maths subjects) is that the assessment types are pretty much the same and they require the same kind of thinking so it becomes a lot quicker and easier to complete assignments and improve on the whole.
Thank you so much :)

Audrey

Probably a very late response to this thread but if it's still useful I took:
Chem
French
Literature
Philosophy
Psychology
Biology

A completely random mix of subjects, but just goes to show that you don't have to do all sciences and maths to have a shot at med! :) it's better to do what you enjoy and what you think you can do well in. And always do Chemistry.
Thank you so much, that really gives me some reassurance :)

sammy04

Hey guys,
I am doing year 13 at the moment to improve my atar for medicine, however not getting A pluses yet :(
my average score is about a minus for all subjects that i am doing,
Any advices for what to do ...now that almost 3 months of school is over ?

cheers

sunnyrain

Hello everyone!
I was just wondering what subjects you should take in year 10 if you have a choice of picking vce subjects?
For example, unit 1 biology, unit 2 physics and chemistry which is going offered?
:)

Mehmet

Lurker
I'm in year 10 going to year 11 next year and I live in Sydney I was thinking about taking English advanced maths advanced bio Chem legal extension 1 English and slr for year 11 and then taking 11 units to year 12 dropping slr i was wondering if anyone could run me through the process of what I have to do to become a neuro surgeon after I graduate from year 12.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I'm in year 10 going to year 11 next year and I live in Sydney I was thinking about taking English advanced maths advanced bio Chem legal extension 1 English and slr for year 11 and then taking 11 units to year 12 dropping slr i was wondering if anyone could run me through the process of what I have to do to become a neuro surgeon after I graduate from year 12.

Woah, hold up there.

To get into neurosurgery you have to be one of the highest ranking doctors that apply in that year based on a resume/references/interview/other things
To be a doctor you have to pass medical school.
To get into medical school you have to either finish year 12 as a top scorer or do another degree first.
To do those you have to finish year 12.

The pathway is long - and while it's okay to make that your goal in the long term, you are going to have to fulfill a whole lot of goals and score pretty much at the very top of all of them - I would focus on getting the best marks you can get at school and passing the UMAT. Once you're in medical school, you can ask your seniors about the very long pathway into neurosurgery. However, before you do that, make sure that you are not in the 99% of students who finish year 12 and don't get into medical school.

Reactions: B2

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Woah, hold up there.

To get into neurosurgery you have to be one of the highest ranking doctors that apply in that year based on a resume/references/interview/other things
To be a doctor you have to pass medical school.
To get into medical school you have to either finish year 12 as a top scorer or do another degree first.
To do those you have to finish year 12.

The pathway is long - and while it's okay to make that your goal in the long term, you are going to have to fulfill a whole lot of goals and score pretty much at the very top of all of them - I would focus on getting the best marks you can get at school and passing the UMAT. Once you're in medical school, you can ask your seniors about the very long pathway into neurosurgery. However, before you do that, make sure that you are not in the 99% of students who finish year 12 and don't get into medical school.
Mana didn't mention that most people that embark on the dream/journey to become a doctor are unsuccessful. ~94% of people that sit the UMAT do not receive an offer of a place in a med school. Almost all of the 94% are very able and committed students. This is not to discourage you but to try and provide some context for the challenge that you are setting yourself..

If medicine is your dream then you need to get an outrageously high ATAR; very high 90s and for some unis very high 99s. At most schools this will mean being the dux of your school; or close to it.

The best bet is to talk to your school academic advisor. They know how the HSC works and what can be done to get the best marks. They hopefully also know a bit about you and are able to guide you to appropriate choices. For some people the best choice will be ext2 maths (not sure there is an Advanced Maths) for others it will be general maths.

Good luck.

I'm an aspiring year 11 students wanting to get into medicine in Adelaide and had a few questions about subjects. I am planning on doing yr 12 bio and yr 12 general maths this year (year 11) and then doing English, Chem, Accounting (easy scoring) and research project next year. I talked to my counseller at school and he suggested I do one yr 12 subject this year (maths) along with research project this year and then do Bio, Chem, English and Accounting next year. My take on this is I should do one yr 12 subject this year with research project as well and focus all my attention into scoring high in that and then do the other 4 in yr 12. IF, i do two yr 12 subjects this year i risk scoring average grades in both and having to do them again in yr 12.

This is my first time posting on MSO so wasnt sure if this is the right thread. If not can someone tell me the correct one.
Cheers

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm an aspiring year 11 students wanting to get into medicine in Adelaide and had a few questions about subjects. I am planning on doing yr 12 bio and yr 12 general maths this year (year 11) and then doing English, Chem, Accounting (easy scoring) and research project next year. I talked to my counseller at school and he suggested I do one yr 12 subject this year (maths) along with research project this year and then do Bio, Chem, English and Accounting next year. My take on this is I should do one yr 12 subject this year with research project as well and focus all my attention into scoring high in that and then do the other 4 in yr 12. IF, i do two yr 12 subjects this year i risk scoring average grades in both and having to do them again in yr 12.

This is my first time posting on MSO so wasnt sure if this is the right thread. If not can someone tell me the correct one.
Cheers

Just letting those of you in a good position to assist (B2, Dr.Potato, A1, FlyingAce, etc) that I've moved this post to the Year 11/12 Subject Help thread.

Cheers
Keep in mind that the scaling on English is screwed and that to get a good score out of 20, you'll need to A+ two sections (Creating texts, Reaponding to texts) and get an A for the last section (External comparative). Getting an A in all three is usually not enough as you will get around 18 and this could bring down your ATAR. I would recommend doing Bio, General and RP this year and try as hard as you can so that you're a little relaxed in year 12 and have more time to spend preparing for the umat.

Keep in mind that the scaling on English is screwed and that to get a good score out of 20, you'll need to A+ two sections (Creating texts, Reaponding to texts) and get an A for the last section (External comparative). Getting an A in all three is usually not enough as you will get around 18 and this could bring down your ATAR. I would recommend doing Bio, General and RP this year and try as hard as you can so that you're a little relaxed in year 12 and have more time to spend preparing for the umat.

I have heard about the horror scaling that happens in english so is it an option to do english this year just to gain the comprehensive and responsive skills and then not do it in year 12 because it isnt a prerequisite of anything. Then in this case I can do year 12 bio and general this year and do chem, RP and accounting next year keeping the balance and having that extra time to prepare for UMAT

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff

Cheers
Not from SA so don't know how each subject would score/the difficulty of each subject, but as someone who accelerated 2 subjects in Y11, it's something I would highly reccommend.
Even though I didn't do so well in one of my accelerated subjects (due to just not being good at that subject, not because I was overworked), it was great not having the pressure of studying for all of my subjects in one year. In Year 11, this meant I could prioritise studying my Year 12 subjects; in Year 12, I felt much less pressure than most of my peers, having one of my subjects' marks already determined and only having to focus on the other 3 of my top 4 subjects during that year.
Does Research Project count towards your ATAR? If not, do it in Year 12.
Even if you do mediocre in one of your year 12 subjects, you can always just retake it next year. :) but as long as you put a decent amount of effort in, you should be fine!
EtA: as always, YMMV- some people actually benefit from having many different subjects to study at the same time so they can take a "break" from one subject if need be.