[Undergrad] What subjects should I do? (High School discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by IntoTheFire, Mar 9, 2007.

1. B2

B2 Bond MD II

Scoring a 20/20 in any subject is easy to say, hard to execute. Doing 2 full subjects in year 11 can potentially do more harm than good. Even though you will dedicate all your time to these subjects, you may not have developed the crucial problem solving skills required in mathematics. This comes from experience and time. Also will be taking time away from developing solid foundations in yr 11 subjects such as chemistry which is essential to ace year 12 - don't neglect essential year 11 subjects which will be assumed knowledge for year 12. I have seen this be a downfall for many students.

End of the day, it is your choice and confidence in your own capabilities. Theoretically, the more year 12 subjects you do the better variation and chance you have at forming a higher ATAR but then again, theres only 24hrs in a day and only so much you can cope with. I would recommend doing biology with either of English/RP which we are hoping not to count in the final ATAR.

Also for note, never heard of this human bio subject - is it different from regular biology and is it new ?

2. thegreatestever

thegreatestever New Member

Human Bio is a university subject they can complete as part of the UofA Headstart Program. Here is more info: Headstart and SACE | Headstart
    The scoring for the subject is like:
    HD (85%) - 20/20
    D (75%) - 19.8/20
    C - 18/20

From my experience and many of my friends who have done only ONE uni subject while in year 12, a HD is relatively easy to get. Given they already have a sound understanding of biological concepts after doing stage 2 biology in year 11, they should be able to gete a HD with very little effort.

3. Isiyara

Isiyara UQ Premed II

Definitely agree with Ruffle, I accelerated a maths subject in Year 11 so I only had 5 subjects in year 12. I essentially 'replaced' my 6th subject with study for my other subjects and then with UMAT practice closer to the exam which made it easier to put in effort into both my ATAR and UMAT. However, I would say this doesn't work for everyone since a friend of mine accelerated 3 subjects and did poorly in one and had to repeat it (though her ATAR was great in the end).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Ruffle likes this.
  4. mso_parent_5072

mso_parent_5072 New Member

Hi All - a long time reader of MSO and as an aside, thank you to all of the mods and contributors who have helped my family and I navigate thru the process of med entry. As a parent of 3 who have recently completed SACE, our experience supports completing Research Project in Year 11. You have more time to devote to RP in Year 11 and it is a subject that does need a lot of effort to do well in. Conversely as time pressures build up in Year 12, I suspect RP would be the first to be compromised.

Mana, B2 and JMP Lova like this.
  5. B2

B2 Bond MD II

C giving a 18/20 is absolutely bizarre. That is almost unheard of. DEFINITELY take this opportunity and do this subject. You barely have anything to lose here.

6. Doradoraaa

Doradoraaa New Member

SACE: Spec math, math method, bio, nutrition, rp, eng