Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What to wear to a medical school interview?

Q3

Should it be OK to wear boots or does that look silly in the summer time? I know the room will most likely be air conditioned but I just don't want to risk looking silly.

LMG!

Admodistrator
Should it be OK to wear boots or does that look silly in the summer time? I know the room will most likely be air conditioned but I just don't want to risk looking silly.
What kind of boots do you mean? As Mana said, you're not graded on your attire. I'd think that if you could imagine wearing your interview outfit somewhere corporate/professional, then it's probably fine.

ETA: I wear very low ankle boots on occasion and regardless of the season (I work in a hospital). Similar to these: GLENVALIA Ankle Boots in Black Cut Leather

dittany

I'm planning on wearing something similar to this but without the jacket. I just wanted to check whether ballet flats would be fine for shoes, and whether interviewers are absolutely fine with girls wearing pants instead of a pencil skirt?

shadowduke

Monash MD I
I'm planning on wearing something similar to this but without the jacket. I just wanted to check whether ballet flats would be fine for shoes, and whether interviewers are absolutely fine with girls wearing pants instead of a pencil skirt?
Pretty sure it would be alright hahahaha, they aren't fussy about what you wear. I reckon just dress accordingly to give off a good vibe

pi

Junior doctor
Admodistrator
With you sitting down for the interview, I barely notice what pants/skirts people are wearing.

Mana

Registrar
Admodistrator
Odd question but do we shake peoples' hands? Esp if they don't initiate it themselves?
If they initiate a handshake, feel free to shake their hand. If they don't, feel free to not shake it, or to initiate a handshake yourself. Either way, I guarantee this is not part of the interview selection criteria, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just awkward if they offer to shake your hand and you don't take it...

LMG!

Admodistrator
Odd question but do we shake peoples' hands? Esp if they don't initiate it themselves?
The very first interviewer I had at my WSU interview last week initiated a handshake, and I reciprocated, wondering if it was going to be the norm. It wasn't, no one else initiated it, and neither did I. I just went with a smile, a greeting, and an "I'm LMG!" instead, which felt comfortable to me.

Last edited:

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
The very first interviewer I had at my WSU interview last week initiated a handshake, and I reciprocated, wondering if it was going to be the norm. It wasn't, no one else initiated it, and neither did I. I just went with a smile, a greeting, and am "I'm LMG!" instead, which felt comfortable to me.
Really good feedback form LMG! and Mana above, particularly the bit "which felt comfortable to me". Don't forget a warm smile.

In similar situations, I tend to close with "Thanks very much for making time for me today" or similar. Again, it has to be what feels right for you.

On handshakes... watch out for appropriate strength. This can be gender independent. I have shaken hands with ladies with a very firm handshake.... and men with a very gentle handshake. Just match what ever they do.

After all of that... try and relax:)

Ruffle

Admissions Helper
Do girls absolutely have to wear shirts with stiffish material, or is floaty material okay? And same with collars.

pi

Junior doctor
Admodistrator
Do girls absolutely have to wear shirts with stiffish material, or is floaty material okay? And same with collars.
Do you have pictures of the clothes? You should look reasonably professional.

are females allowed to keeep long natural nails? (lol stupid question but i thought i'd ask )
Honestly I don't think I'd notice the nails of someone I'd interview. If you're going for a guinness world record with the nails then I'd cut them, but neat nails are fine. Worth noting that health professionals are advised to not have long nails, if that matters to you.

sammy04

Honestly I don't think I'd notice the nails of someone I'd interview. If you're going for a guinness world record with the nails then I'd cut them, but neat nails are fine. Worth noting that health professionals are advised to not have long nails, if that matters to you.
hey thanks for letting me know !!! hahah i was kinda hoping, they dont make you cut your nails to the nub when you become a health professional.

yeah i was looking up accepted hand and nails hygience policy for doctors couldnt find any .

Ruffle

Admissions Helper
Ended up wearing my stiff collared shirt- but based on what the other girls in my interview slot were wearing, the alternative outfit would've been fine as well.

EtA: You don't need to look like a granny to go to interviews- so long as you look neat and everything's covered up it should be okay- fabric can be flowy but would definitely make sure it's opaque. Skirts ending slightly above knee length are also okay, saw many girls wearing them.

Last edited:

squashed

Monash BMedSci/MD I
2018 interviewees, what are you planning on wearing this year/what did you wear yo your interviews so far? I have an Adelaide interview next week, it's going to be 22 degrees but I don't really have anything formal. Should I buy something, maybe a plain black skirt + tights + flats and a nice blouse?