What to wear to a medical school interview?

Discussion in 'Interviews' started by Williamb, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ruffle

Ruffle Admissions Helper Moderator

MSO's Official Personal Stylist
    Sounds great- make sure you are comfortable with what you're wearing (you can wear trousers too!) Try to get a blouse that covers your shoulders. Didn't see any girls wearing blazers in interviews, so don't worry about getting one.

2. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

What kind of blouse doesn't cover one's shoulders? o_O

3. Ruffle

Does this answer your question? ;)

Verdigris likes this.
  4. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

I think you'll find that "blouse" largely means "a shirt for ladies". Taking a singlet, tank top, halter top, crop top, vest or whatever and calling it a "blouse" doesn't make it one. ;) But yes, right up there with the gold advice of "don't wear see-through clothes to your interview", it is also advisable to not reveal too much skin, either. On a very hot day I think a conservative sleeveless top would actually be acceptable, but you'd want make sure it didn't cut in far past the tip of your shoulder (ie no halter cuts).

Ruffle likes this.
  5. Verdigris

Verdigris constantly suffering

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Ruffle likes this.
  6. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    I wore a sleeveless dress with no blazer to both my WSU and JMP interviews because it was 30+ degrees both days (and about 38 degrees for WSU). Got offers for both. I very much suspect my dress was a non-factor.

Another girl I interviewed at the same time as wore a black, short sleeved blouse, dark blue jeans, and boots. She was from a very, very, very rural location, and she told me she was wearing her “good jeans and boots”. She looked very neat regardless, and again, I doubt her outfit would have been a factor.

There are outfits that probably could be a factor but I doubt mine or hers were just to describe two quite different approaches.

Ruffle and Verdigris like this.
  7. squashed

squashed [Custom title here]

I also have my monah interview on Friday, not entirely related I heard it's going to be some ridiculously hot temperature like 42 degrees or something!? Does this mean the interviewees would get away with wearing sandals or something like that or will it just be severely air conditioned inside? I'm kinda worried about wearing something cool only for the air con to be severely blasted and leaving candidates inside shivering like ice.

8. Crow

Crow Griffith MD Most Active 2018

I've never been to Monash, but I'd wager that the rooms will definitely be air conditioned - I'd still try to wear something professional if you can. In saying that, your outfit will almost certainly not be a component of the criteria sheet (read LMG!'s post just above) so it's not something to stress about; if you have an outfit that is cool but easily surpasses "casual" then you should be ok to wear that.

squashed likes this.
  9. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    It was about 38 for my WSU interview last year (and 30+ for JMP). The aircon was on for both, but I definitely don’t remember the temperature being uncomfortably cold. In fact, I don’t really remember the temperature inside at all, leading me to believe it was a non-factor (ie. comfortable and not distractingly hot or cold).

Maybe chuck in a light cardigan you could pull on and still look neat wearing if you get cold. I posted above on what I wore. For shoes, I wore black lace ups with holes in them kinda like these (but black and with the larger holes all over): Hush Puppies | Danae Rose Gold Loafer | MYER

As I mentioned above, as long as you’re neat and tidy, what you wear will largely be a non-factor.

squashed likes this.
  10. Ruffle

Wear what you're comfortable with! (While still looking tidy and professional- it makes a world of difference to your confidence.) In this weather I'd reccommend flats, and make sure wear them with footlets so your feet don't get sweaty! Imo it's okay to wear a sleeveless top as well so long as the straps are reasonably thick and the cut is conservative, like this one.

I actualy remember Monash being a little on the cold side, so LMG!'s suggestion of a cardigan would come in handy. Once you're in the interview, though, the adrenaline kicks in so you don't even really notice the temperature much. :) Best of luck and treat yourself to an ice cream after the interview!

squashed likes this.
  11. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

Despite the weather I would still recommend dressing professionally. Although attire might not be directly assessed I think it's important to wear what you would be wearing in your clinical years. Dressing the right way I think shows that you have a professional attitude. I know it's hot and it may not be the best of conditions, but the MMI is inside so you should have some AC!