Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What to Wear to a Medical School Interview

chinaski

I think you'll find that "blouse" largely means "a shirt for ladies". Taking a singlet, tank top, halter top, crop top, vest or whatever and calling it a "blouse" doesn't make it one. ;) But yes, right up there with the gold advice of "don't wear see-through clothes to your interview", it is also advisable to not reveal too much skin, either. On a very hot day I think a conservative sleeveless top would actually be acceptable, but you'd want make sure it didn't cut in far past the tip of your shoulder (ie no halter cuts).

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I wore a sleeveless blouse to my interview, but w a blazer on top :)

I wore a sleeveless dress with no blazer to both my WSU and JMP interviews because it was 30+ degrees both days (and about 38 degrees for WSU). Got offers for both. I very much suspect my dress was a non-factor.

Another girl I interviewed at the same time as wore a black, short sleeved blouse, dark blue jeans, and boots. She was from a very, very, very rural location, and she told me she was wearing her “good jeans and boots”. She looked very neat regardless, and again, I doubt her outfit would have been a factor.

There are outfits that probably could be a factor but I doubt mine or hers were just to describe two quite different approaches.

squashed

I also have my monah interview on Friday, not entirely related I heard it's going to be some ridiculously hot temperature like 42 degrees or something!? Does this mean the interviewees would get away with wearing sandals or something like that or will it just be severely air conditioned inside? I'm kinda worried about wearing something cool only for the air con to be severely blasted and leaving candidates inside shivering like ice.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I also have my monah interview on Friday, not entirely related I heard it's going to be some ridiculously hot temperature like 42 degrees or something!? Does this mean the interviewees would get away with wearing sandals or something like that or will it just be severely air conditioned inside? I'm kinda worried about wearing something cool only for the air con to be severely blasted and leaving candidates inside shivering like ice.
I've never been to Monash, but I'd wager that the rooms will definitely be air conditioned - I'd still try to wear something professional if you can. In saying that, your outfit will almost certainly not be a component of the criteria sheet (read LMG!'s post just above) so it's not something to stress about; if you have an outfit that is cool but easily surpasses "casual" then you should be ok to wear that.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

It was about 38 for my WSU interview last year (and 30+ for JMP). The aircon was on for both, but I definitely don’t remember the temperature being uncomfortably cold. In fact, I don’t really remember the temperature inside at all, leading me to believe it was a non-factor (ie. comfortable and not distractingly hot or cold).

Maybe chuck in a light cardigan you could pull on and still look neat wearing if you get cold. I posted above on what I wore. For shoes, I wore black lace ups with holes in them kinda like these (but black and with the larger holes all over): Hush Puppies | Danae Rose Gold Loafer | MYER

As I mentioned above, as long as you’re neat and tidy, what you wear will largely be a non-factor.

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff

Wear what you're comfortable with! (While still looking tidy and professional- it makes a world of difference to your confidence.) In this weather I'd reccommend flats, and make sure wear them with footlets so your feet don't get sweaty! Imo it's okay to wear a sleeveless top as well so long as the straps are reasonably thick and the cut is conservative, like this one.

I actualy remember Monash being a little on the cold side, so LMG!'s suggestion of a cardigan would come in handy. Once you're in the interview, though, the adrenaline kicks in so you don't even really notice the temperature much. :) Best of luck and treat yourself to an ice cream after the interview!

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

Despite the weather I would still recommend dressing professionally. Although attire might not be directly assessed I think it's important to wear what you would be wearing in your clinical years. Dressing the right way I think shows that you have a professional attitude. I know it's hot and it may not be the best of conditions, but the MMI is inside so you should have some AC!

whoartthou

So let me clear things up. I have been a previous medical interviewer. I have also coached 150+ medical/dental students who have got into universities all over Australia and overseas. I am not advertising my service as I am taking a break from it all and focussing on my career at this point in time.
Some universities are trying not to judge students based on what they wear. They have specific rules regarding this to interviewers for this.
On a personal level, students who put effort into dressing at least semi-professional-professional is a + in my books. It doesn't necessarily give you additional marks but it gives a better impression of you overall.

ytbytb

I am 100% certain that at adelaide uni, the interviewers will look favourably on you if you rock up in a blazer/business wear. Also, they don't like guys who wear tight pants that showcase their bums, it is considered unprofessional. Same applies to girls I'd assume.
Remember, those interviewing you are most likely gonna be old fashioned, so they will prefer strictly businesswear over casual/semi casual/business casual

chinaski

Remember, those interviewing you are most likely gonna be old fashioned, so they will prefer strictly businesswear over casual/semi casual/business casual

No, those who are interviewing you will be adults, not teenagers. That doesn't mean they are "old fashioned", but it does mean they know the difference between what you'd wear on reality TV (for instance) as opposed to what you should be wearing to a work interview. Succinctly, you're not trying to pick up your interviewers - so keep your packages to yourselves.

A1

Rookie Doc
Let me repost what UWA wrote in the invite email to me:

=============
INTERVIEW ATTIRE

We work to ensure that each component of the selection process is fair to all applicants. Do not wear any uniform, accessories or badges, which identify membership of a particular organisation. This is to avoid the perception that bias has entered the selection process.

You do not need to dress too formally. Be smart, comfortable, but not too casual. The best kind of clothing for an interview will not distinguish you from the crowd. Clothing which is untidy or too revealing (such as low cut tops or short skirts or shorts) is inappropriate in this situation.

Examples of appropriate clothing would include: smart work pants and collared shirts (tie not necessary) for men and dress pants or knee-length skirt and smart top for women. It is important that you feel comfortable throughout the interview so that you can concentrate on the questions asked. Therefore ensure that you wear comfortable dress shoes and if it is cool you should bring a jacket/coat/cardigan etc. Be prepared to cope with a variety of airconditioning systems.

=============

chinaski

Let me repost what UWA wrote in the invite email to me:

=============
INTERVIEW ATTIRE

We work to ensure that each component of the selection process is fair to all applicants. Do not wear any uniform, accessories or badges, which identify membership of a particular organisation. This is to avoid the perception that bias has entered the selection process.

You do not need to dress too formally. Be smart, comfortable, but not too casual. The best kind of clothing for an interview will not distinguish you from the crowd. Clothing which is untidy or too revealing (such as low cut tops or short skirts or shorts) is inappropriate in this situation.

Examples of appropriate clothing would include: smart work pants and collared shirts (tie not necessary) for men and dress pants or knee-length skirt and smart top for women. It is important that you feel comfortable throughout the interview so that you can concentrate on the questions asked. Therefore ensure that you wear comfortable dress shoes and if it is cool you should bring a jacket/coat/cardigan etc. Be prepared to cope with a variety of airconditioning systems.

=============

Yes, it's not rocket science! Also, for school leavers particularly, interviewers are going to be cognisant of the fact that candidates are comparatively young and therefore won't expect you to dress up like you're 35 and work in an office. However, that leniency only goes so far - common sense applies here. Younger people can dress age-appropriately and professionally within the appropriate context.

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
I wore a pencil skirt (knee length) and blazer for my interviews :)

whoartthou

I have spoken to certain interviewers who would fail candidates based on how they are dressed so it's not entirely impossible. It is wrong to do so but universities cannot eliminate this bias. However, I would agree blazers are not necessary however, I would err on the side of caution and wear a tie. I would also tend to dress more professionally than not as a school leaver. My thought process is they can't fail you for dressing professional but they sure can fail you if they think it is too casual because it might be perceived as a lack of respect and maturity.

I have met professors and doctors who would not let interns/residents sit in on their clinic without wearing a tie and they are the same people who will sometimes be conducting the interview.

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I have spoken to certain interviewers who would fail candidates based on how they are dressed so it's not entirely impossible. It is wrong to do so but universities cannot eliminate this bias. However, I would agree blazers are not necessary however, I would err on the side of caution and wear a tie. I would also tend to dress more professionally than not as a school leaver. My thought process is they can't fail you for dressing professional but they sure can if they think it is too casual because they might perceive that as a lack of respect and maturity.

I have met professors and doctors who would not let interns/residents sit in on their clinic without wearing a tie and they are the same people who will sometimes be conducting the interview.
Would a long-sleeved collared shirt, a tie and dress pants suffice for a guy? And dress shoes of course.

D

Deleted member 37402

I have spoken to certain interviewers who would fail candidates based on how they are dressed so it's not entirely impossible. It is wrong to do so but universities cannot eliminate this bias. However, I would agree blazers are not necessary however, I would err on the side of caution and wear a tie. I would also tend to dress more professionally than not as a school leaver. My thought process is they can't fail you for dressing professional but they sure can if they think it is too casual because they might perceive that as a lack of respect and maturity.

Would a long-sleeved collared shirt, a tie and dress pants suffice for a guy? And dress shoes of course.
I absolutely agree. I have heard that wearing a tie for men is a 'must'. No open collars.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
That would definitely be appropriate. Some interview locations will be really hot e.g. JCU in summer so a jacket would almost be unwise!