Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What you wish you had known before studying medicine

AstralResolve

2nd Time Not So Newbie
So i was told that medical degrees are different to other university courses in that its very middle of the road from the beginning and your expected to study in your own time basic, assumed or other knowledge. And they come hard any fast such as three and four letter abbreviations.

My question to you all is, what do you wish you had understood or even mastered before starting med school that would have really made your life alot easier?

Thanks

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
I think it would be really useful to have a good handle on how you study best. There's a lot of content, and people preach "study smart, not hard" - but it's challenging to "study smart" if you don't know what's effective for you.

So I guess my advice would be to figure out what sort of learner you are and what resources work best for you. Do you learn best by teaching others? Watching videos? Drawing diagrams? Discussions? Reading textbooks until you cry?

Once you know your methods you can focus on those and everything else will be a lot easier. I only REALLY figured out the best way to study effectively for myself after about a year in med. I perform much better in exams and feel far more confident since figuring it out, but it took a while to get there.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
So i was told that medical degrees are different to other university courses in that its very middle of the road from the beginning and your expected to study in your own time basic, assumed or other knowledge. And they come hard any fast such as three and four letter abbreviations.

My question to you all is, what do you wish you had understood or even mastered before starting med school that would have really made your life alot easier?

Thanks
If I’ve interpreted your question correctly, are you asking if you should study before starting medical school (and if so, what you should be studying)?

If so, in my opinion I honestly say nothing. Yes, medicine expects a lot of self-directed learning - it’s a pretty core element of the profession as a whole.

Before you start, enjoy yourself and the spare time you have. I can’t see you doing anything over a reasonably short space of time that’s going to make a huge difference in the long run for you. If you show up with the right attitude, you’ll be fine :)

whoartthou

Thanks

Yeh don't bother studying before med school....
However, what I wished I studied in med school in more detail before being a doctor would be anatomy. I now have an interest in sports medicine after starting gym a few years ago.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads