Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What's a good low GI breakfast food for the UMAT?

Nashinator

Originally posted by AussieChica
(BTW does anyone know where the Sydney UMAT will be held? Friend of mine is sitting it).
Last year it was held at UTS Broadway and at Wentworth Park racing track...I'll guess we'll find out soon...

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
I'm pretty sure there are different questions for different people, at least some. I remembered a few very distinctive S1 questions and my friend said she didn't have any of them in her test.

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus
Originally posted by kevin@Jul 5 2007, 03:45 PM
The questions are mainly just in a different order, although some extra ones are added in, which are rumoured to be ones that are being tested to see if they are effective for the following year, and also some other reasons which I've forgotten.
[snapback]47556[/snapback]​
I was just thinking, what if people spend their time on these prototype questions and in effect lose time for other questions that are actually worth marks? Wouldn't that be unfair?

kevin

EXACTLY what happened, but I came to my senses and realised it wasn't worth it, although a few friends were bewildered, and some others didn't have it.

I could post up the question if you want me to, I still remember it clearly <_<

jjag80

Please post it!! Why would they put such a nasty question on the exam? I get the point of distractor answers... but a whole distractor question that takes away from your overall performance... that would do my head in!

kevin

[offtopic]

Arrange the following 5 shapes in order and choose the middle.

[/offtopic]

Goodluck figuring out where it starts :rolleyes:

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
See, even the test itself is used by ACER to develop further tests (money making, anyone?) and let's be honest - how on earth does a question like that test whether you are going to do well in medical school or be an effective doctor?

The UMAT is an absolute crock of sh!t. It is an awful test. And, it is used despite no evidence whatsoever that it produces better medical students or doctors. Neither, in fact, does the interview process (effectively a form of social engineering).

The only saving grace for the whole idea is that I agree that previous academic performance shouldn't be the only measurement mechanism for medical school entry.

L337

Based God
Emeritus
Totally agree with what Hayden said :)

Also, how do you identify whether a question is a prototype question or not - is it just completely different to all the others? And how did you know that that particular question was a prototype kev...it looks like your standard "find the sequence, choose the middle" question, albeit much (much) harder.

EDIT - I'd probably choose the sequence B, E, A, C, D...but I agree, you can't really know where to start, and you'll get a different answer depending where you do. Da.mn ACER <_<

blindspot

Originally posted by Hayden@Jul 6 2007, 11:56 AM

The UMAT is an absolute crock of sh!t. It is an awful test. And, it is used despite no evidence whatsoever that it produces better medical students or doctors.
[snapback]47626[/snapback]​
I also have difficulty in seeing how section 3 tests the skills required by a doctor (especially a clinician.) But my humble theory is that section 3 tests ones abilities to recognise patterns/ trends in patients quickly (eg recognising similarities in a whole bunch of patients displaying symptoms with seemingly different causations.)

Also, i guess it tests ones abilities to quickly formulate hypotheses in attempt to make sense of data/ disease outcomes and effectively test these hypotheses (eg If we rotate this shape by 90 degrees, then the next shape should look like blah blah, or, in a medical context, if i alter the exposure status by a certain degree, then my patient should display such and such outcomes.)

PS i simply like to find reasons to convince myself that by sitting the UMAT im not doing something totally useless :unsure:

chinaski

Originally posted by blindspot@Jul 6 2007, 05:57 AM
PS i simply like to find reasons to convince myself that by sitting the UMAT im not doing something totally useless  :unsure:
[snapback]47657[/snapback]​
You just need to think of it as a means to an end. I know nothing about UMAT, having never sat it myself, but don't need to know about it to say this - the fact is, it's simply an obstacle that is in your path. However illogical it is, you need to jump over it to get to more tangible things. Worrying about its relevance is wasted energy. It probably is highly irrelevant and stupidly written... that's not the point. The point is to get through it as best you can. That's not useless at all - it's just frustrating, is all. :)

kevin

Originally posted by L337@Jul 6 2007, 11:52 AM
Totally agree with what Hayden said :)

Also, how do you identify whether a question is a prototype question or not - is it just completely different to all the others? And how did you know that that particular question was a prototype kev...it looks like your standard "find the sequence, choose the middle" question, albeit much (much) harder.

EDIT - I'd probably choose the sequence B, E, A, C, D...but I agree, you can't really know where to start, and you'll get a different answer depending where you do. Da.mn ACER <_<
[snapback]47635[/snapback]​
You can't, that's the problem, you just need to make sure you skip the questions you find too difficult/take up too much time and work your way through. And for the record I did do the same sequence using the assumption that the arrow started pointing up.

I'm sure there's more than 1 prototype question (if it's actually true) and I only noticed this one that was incredibly different from the others, so just make sure you don't spend too long on a single question. From personal experience I know it's very easy to get sidetracked, being the arrogant i-need-to-figure-this-question-out person I am.

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus
Originally posted by kevin@Jul 6 2007, 04:14 PM
You can't, that's the problem, you just need to make sure you skip the questions you find too difficult/take up too much time and work your way through. And for the record I did do the same sequence using the assumption that the arrow started pointing up.

I'm sure there's more than 1 prototype question (if it's actually true) and I only noticed this one that was incredibly different from the others, so just make sure you don't spend too long on a single question. From personal experience I know it's very easy to get sidetracked, being the arrogant i-need-to-figure-this-question-out person I am.
[snapback]47660[/snapback]​
I need to train myself to become a this-question-is-too-hard-screw-it type of person for the UMAT then.

Matt

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
[offtopic] with kevin's question I'd pick E as the middle under the odd one out is probably the middle theory. It's the only horizontal one, the other two have matching angles. Mind you, S3 was my worst section. [/offtopic]

Mana

Registrar
Admodistrator
Originally posted by blindspot@Jul 6 2007, 03:27 PM
I also have difficulty in seeing how section 3 tests the skills required by a doctor (especially a clinician.) But my humble theory is that section 3 tests ones abilities to recognise patterns/ trends in patients quickly (eg recognising similarities in a whole bunch of patients displaying symptoms with seemingly  different causations.)

Also, i guess it tests ones abilities to quickly formulate hypotheses in attempt to make sense of data/ disease outcomes and effectively test these hypotheses (eg If we rotate this shape by 90 degrees, then the next shape should look like blah blah, or, in a medical context, if i alter the exposure status by a certain degree, then my patient should display such and such outcomes.)

PS i simply like to find reasons to convince myself that by sitting the UMAT im not doing something totally useless  :unsure:
[snapback]47657[/snapback]​
It's really really useful in being able to read CT scans and MRIs and X-rays. No joke. Place these slices in order. Are you going up the body or down it? What is the structure here? Had a few practical exam questions on reading x-rays and ct scans and found the section 3 ability starts to kick in.

Ice.Coffee

good to know its helped some people then. i mean the things i could do with 150.00

jjag80

Originally posted by Ice.Coffee@Jul 17 2007, 02:08 PM
good to know its helped some people then. i mean the things i could do with 150.00
[snapback]48464[/snapback]​
This kind of exam should be free... or at least a LOT cheaper (as a student sitting it overseas I paid more than double, but do understand the logistics of offering a test over here means more cost)... I mean, clearly charging 150 doesn't deter people from taking it (with some people on here suggesting that over 12,000 people will be sitting it this year)...

Apologies... I am in a bad mood about this silly test and it is starting to p!ss me off. So will happily support any negative comments people put up here about it :)

Mana

Registrar
Admodistrator
Agreed that it should be free.

I'm sure you'll be in a happy mood about this after you get your results. :)

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus
Originally posted by Mana@Jul 17 2007, 04:32 PM
Agreed that it should be free.

I'm sure you'll be in a happy mood about this after you get your results. :)
[snapback]48475[/snapback]​
Somebody has to pay for the running cost of the UMAT though.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
Considering it is the Australian College of Educational Research, it should be the government.

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus
Originally posted by Hayden@Jul 17 2007, 07:28 PM
Considering it is the Australian College of Educational Research, it should be the government.
[snapback]48490[/snapback]​
The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) is a non-governmental educational research organisation based in Camberwell, Victoria.

Established in 1930, ACER has a long history and solid reputation as a provider of reliable support to education policy makers and professional practitioners. As a private company, independent of government, ACER receives no direct financial support and generates its entire income through contracted research and development projects and through products and services that it develops and distributes.
source - http://www.acer.edu.au/about/

Despite saying all that, I'm not too happy about the price either. $150 is pretty steep.