Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What's a good low GI breakfast food for the UMAT?

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus Staff
In similar fashion to the energy drink thread, I'm wondering if any experienced MSO members can recommend me and other hopefuls this year what kind of breakfast we should have prior to the UMAT?

I remember someone telling me to eat Low GI food. If this is true, could somebody tell me what sort of food is Low GI?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback. :)

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
GI food: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

After the explanation of what it is, there's a table for low medium and high GI foods. Without wanting to sound like a product placement, Milo is marketed as having low GI. So are a number of breads (the ones that say low GI... the rest, presumably, are high GI).

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
Burgen bread = my own personal gold

L337

Based God
Emeritus Staff
In addition to being low GI, I also think it'd be advisable to eat something you're used too (ie. not something you've never had before). As for low GI, I also hear Nutella is a low GI food (i think i remember hearing it on the ad or something).

L337

Based God
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by liverpool3k@Jul 3 2007, 12:57 AM
Nutella may be low gi, but it's got craploads of sugar... stay away?
[snapback]47334[/snapback]​

Hmmm, didn't really think about the sugar factor. Maybe stay away then....

Is the UMAT usually held early in the day, or is possible to have later times, like around/after lunch?

Wiki

Originally posted by AussieChica@Jul 2 2007, 06:08 PM
Milo is marketed as having low GI. So are a number of breads (the ones that say low GI... the rest, presumably, are high GI).
[snapback]47321[/snapback]​

mmm, milo sandwich.
Personally, having a decent breakfast makes me feel weird all morning. I think all I had before the umat was a hot choccie when I got to uni where it was held. Not recommended, but that's what works for me

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I think just have whatever you normally have for breakfast.... you know, favourite cereal or something. You don't want things to be too out of the ordinary for the UMAT.

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Sometimes the UMAT is early 8:30am, and sometimes it's later in the afternoon. Check ACER website.

(BTW does anyone know where the Sydney UMAT will be held? Friend of mine is sitting it).

~shinigami~

。◕‿◕。
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by AussieChica@Jul 3 2007, 04:38 PM
Sometimes the UMAT is early 8:30am, and sometimes it's later in the afternoon. Check ACER website.

(BTW does anyone know where the Sydney UMAT will be held? Friend of mine is sitting it).
[snapback]47380[/snapback]​

I'll be sitting the UMAT in Sydney but I don't know where it'll be held yet. I think they only tell us 2 weeks before the test or something like that, right? :)

kloudsurfer

I didnt know that.

So you dont get to choose which one?

I hope i get the morning one, I cant concentrate in the afternoon!

anonymouse

AC I think they use different exams for the diff times + the random numbering of questions (and even different qs) within the exams themselves. So, it'd be pretty hard to cheat. Although, what they do introduces all sorts of other problems re: qs difficulty

kevin

Originally posted by AussieChica@Jul 3 2007, 08:08 PM
i'm surprised they do that. u could so get dodgy ppl doing the 9am one then calling the 1pmers and telling them about it.
[snapback]47396[/snapback]​

Yup, I think I was discussing one of the questions with my mate who was doing it at 1pm, but they also have to be in the venue quite early so there's not much time for discussion

jjag80

The papers are different for each time-based sitting of the test. So for example the morning sessions for both BNE and SYD will be the same... but they will differ from the afternoon ones. I am taking the UMAT in London this year (which will also be a different paper) have to be there for work so have no choice... also had to pay an extra $150 I think... NASTY!

I don't buy into this standardization stuff... I am sure some people get scr#wed based on where and what time they sit the test :(

L337

Based God
Emeritus Staff
I agree people can get screwed by all the variables of the UMAT. For example, they say they have some different questions within each paper (ie. not all papers have identical questions) which are of "similar difficulty". I dunno how you can judge that - what if someone finds a certain type of question easier than another...it kinda makes it unfair. :(

kevin

They are not different papers. There is a code up on the top of the front page saying which paper you have, and in my test area in Melbourne there were 9 different ones, each given to a 3x3 block so nobody could look over at other's.

The questions are mainly just in a different order, although some extra ones are added in, which are rumoured to be ones that are being tested to see if they are effective for the following year, and also some other reasons which I've forgotten.

I personally think it's true because last year there was a question in section 3 (arranging the 5 pentagons with an arrow pointing from one edge to another edge in order and picking the middle) which was unsolvable.