Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Why Study in Australia?

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I do not fail to understand the difficulty of gaining entry into a medical school. It is the truth that entering a medical school in Malaysia is easier compared to Australia. I'm not saying anyone can enter, I'm saying it's easier than entering a medical school in Australia.

You yourself are not Malaysian and have readily admitted it, nor have you attempted their process. You're hardly qualified to be making any judgements in this regard.

SLR

You yourself are not Malaysian and have readily admitted it, nor have you attempted their process. You're hardly qualified to be making any judgements in this regard.

I am a Malaysian. It just so happens that I am also an Australian citizen. ^_^

I am very clear about Malaysian universities, so am I with Australian universities. In fact, I know less about Australian universities compared to Malaysia universities.

jbobs

Well duh...People come because they failed to enter in their home countries. Overseas study is a backup plan.
Using flow charts and your Malay example.

Attempt entry in Malaysia --> fail --> No MBBS --> :(

Attempt entry in Australia --> GREAT SUCCESS --> Gain MBBS --> :)

using Havox's interpretation I have devised my own based on my own interaction with international students.

Attempt entry in home country + has money --> fail --> No degree --> :(

Attempt entry in Australia + has money--> SUCCESS --> Gain degree --> :)

or

Attempt entry in Australia + has money + wants to travel and work in australia --> SUCCESS --> Gain degree --> :)

Of course the working in Australia bit is now a little precarious thanks to medicine student overflow but I think that's the gist.

Jenny2108

Do you know, for MBBS, international students pay ~AUD50k per year while domestic students pay ~AUD10k per year? You pay 5 times as much and get the same degree, but you do not get 5x the salary, or even 2x the salary for that matter.
Of course we know for international students, we pay 5x more than local ones. However, its reasonable because we are from other countries and go here to study, thus we need to pay more.

Back to your question: Why study in Australia?

1. Comparing to USA, Australia is a safer place to study and live.

2. Comparing to UK, Australia is more multicultural and fewer racist. My friends study in European countries said that sometimes they need any help, people there didn't wanna help because they hate foreigners especially Asian. Of course there is racism in Australia as well such as at school, public transports, etc,... But its still better than in European countries

3. Australia's education is also high ranking in the world. The education system and facilities in here are so much better in our countries. The methods of teaching are more practical while in Asian countries, we focus on theories and students just based on books, look at the pics instead of doing experiments, going excursions. Thus, we don't know how to apply the knowledge in the reality even though we can get high scores at school, uni.

4. Maybe for some people, they have relatives in Australia so its better to live in a place where you know someone rather than no one. At least, when you are in trouble or in emergency cases, they can help you. Your parents are in your home country, how can they fly here for a short time when you need them most?

5. In some cases, people got scholarships to study here

6. Getting visa to study in Australia is easier than USA. I think to apply uni in USA, you need to take extra tests called SAT (not sure if you apply for senior schools)

7. If we don't get jobs in Australia, we still can travel to other Eng-speaking countries such as USA, UK, Sing, Malaysia, etc,... and work there because Australian Uni degrees are still much better than our countries's ones. Because Australia is Eng-speaking countries while our countries are not, thus if we take our degrees to other countries, they won't accept us

8. In situation we have to go back our home country, what's matter? We can work at foreign companies in our countries. Nowadays, there are plenty of corporations between Asian and Western countries, they pay salaries in dollars as well. If we can get degrees in high-education countries, we can be paid higher than the ones who study the same course in our home countries. Plus we don't have to live far away from our parents, don't have to confront with racism, don't have to adapt new cultures which isn't suitable for us. Working at foreign companies. Is it fun to travel around the world? :p My cousin works at ANZ bank and he travels to Europe like 2 weeks/month

This is just my thoughts and personal opinions about choosing to study in Australia, maybe its different from others

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I am very clear about Malaysian universities, so am I with Australian universities. In fact, I know less about Australian universities compared to Malaysia universities.

Convenient that my original point is still valid. If people could study in their home country they would. As it stands a lot cannot.

SLR

using Havox's interpretation I have devised my own based on my own interaction with international students.

Attempt entry in home country + has money --> fail --> No degree -->

Attempt entry in Australia + has money--> SUCCESS --> Gain degree -->

or

Attempt entry in Australia + has money + wants to travel and work in australia --> SUCCESS --> Gain degree -->

Of course the working in Australia bit is now a little precarious thanks to medicine student overflow but I think that's the gist.

I see. So that may be one of the reasons that I am not aware of. You see, in Malaysia, it is generally easier to enter any private university than entering any university in Australia, which made me thought that all countries are the same.

Of course we know for international students, we pay 5x more than local ones. However, its reasonable because we are from other countries and go here to study, thus we need to pay more.

So you're happy to pay 5x and you think it's reasonable? You must hail from a wealthy family to think paying 5x is "reasonable" (assuming you do not have a scholarship).

Back to your question: Why study in Australia?

1. Comparing to USA, Australia is a safer place to study and live.

Valid point - one that I've never thought of, to be honest.

2. Comparing to UK, Australia is more multicultural and fewer racist. My friends study in European countries said that sometimes they need any help, people there didn't wanna help because they hate foreigners especially Asian. Of course there is racism in Australia as well such as at school, public transports, etc,... But its still better than in European countries

No comments on this as I have no experience in the UK. For Australia though, I have not experienced racism in my ~100 days of stay, but it may be attributed to the fact that I do not go out a lot.

3. Australia's education is also high ranking in the world. The education system and facilities in here are so much better in our countries. The methods of teaching are more practical while in Asian countries, we focus on theories and students just based on books, look at the pics instead of doing experiments, going excursions. Thus, we don't know how to apply the knowledge in the reality even though we can get high scores at school, uni.

Top ranking universities are in the US and UK, Australian universities only start to appear about later (position >25). Again, I cannot comment on this as I have yet to start university. For what it's worth, I have read that the "knowledge" gained in university do not really "match" well with reality, i.e. not much is used in reality.

4. Maybe for some people, they have relatives in Australia so its better to live in a place where you know someone rather than no one. At least, when you are in trouble or in emergency cases, they can help you. Your parents are in your home country, how can they fly here for a short time when you need them most?

In a place where you know someone rather than no one? Like for example, your home country? I understand there are times when you need support, but that is part of life and part of the package of being independent. We have to learn to deal with it our own - sooner or later.

5. In some cases, people got scholarships to study here

Yes, if you get scholarships then by all means, welcome!

6. Getting visa to study in Australia is easier than USA. I think to apply uni in USA, you need to take extra tests called SAT (not sure if you apply for senior schools)

Not sure about the visas, but I think it's not that hard to get a student visa, is it? Yes, you have to take SAT or ACT to study in American colleges (universities).

7. If we don't get jobs in Australia, we still can travel to other Eng-speaking countries such as USA, UK, Sing, Malaysia, etc,... and work there because Australian Uni degrees are still much better than our countries's ones. Because Australia is Eng-speaking countries while our countries are not, thus if we take our degrees to other countries, they won't accept us

If you can get a job in America or UK, and maybe Singapore too, then it's fine. The USD, GBP and SGD are relatively strong or equal to the AUD. But if you come to Malaysia, you're not going to have a good time.

Where is your home country, if you don't mind me asking? I am curious as to what country does not recognize an Australian degree.

8. In situation we have to go back our home country, what's matter? We can work at foreign companies in our countries. Nowadays, there are plenty of corporations between Asian and Western countries, they pay salaries in dollars as well. If we can get degrees in high-education countries, we can be paid higher than the ones who study the same course in our home countries. Plus we don't have to live far away from our parents, don't have to confront with racism, don't have to adapt new cultures which isn't suitable for us. Working at foreign companies. Is it fun to travel around the world? :p My cousin works at ANZ bank and he travels to Europe like 2 weeks/month

Is that so, foreign companies paying in dollars (I assume this is the USD)? I thought such companies are extremely rare. It's good to know there are such companies in your country. I'm sure getting a job here will be very lucrative, being paid in USD while spending in [insert home country currency].

This is just my thoughts and personal opinions about choosing to study in Australia, maybe its different from others

Again, thank you very much for your detailed post - it is truly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your detailed post!

My comments are in blue, in the above quote, btw.

SLR

Convenient that my original point is still valid. If people could study in their home country they would. As it stands a lot cannot.

I have come to learn that this is true for some countries.

This [difficult to gain entry into local universities] is a point not valid in Malaysia, therefore I have never thought of it.

Jenny2108

Its reasonable after I read earlier posts that local people have to pay taxes. We don't pay taxes though.
My family isn't really wealthy, thats why I can't really afford to study med undergrad.

2. Yeah, probably you just stay here > 3 months and don't go out a lot and your classmates are nice people
Actually in Australia, most of people are really friendly.

3. Even though postition > 25, its ranking still much much much higher than most of Asian uni
I haven't started uni either LOL but when I study high school in here, I feel its totally different.

4. Of course you need to be independent sooner or later, but the first time we leave our home country and go to other place alone, is it better to know at least someone there? Anyway, its just one reason. I don't have any relatives here either

6. Its easy for some people and hard for some. Depends though, sometimes getting visa is like luck. My friend didn't get visa to study in USA, ended up studying in England

7. It doesn't mean they don't accept Australian uni degrees. Just because I study in English and lots of terminology I have no idea what they mean in my native language. If we go back our home country, they still accept the degrees but its hard for us at the beginning as we learn everything in other language.

8. I think most of international students wanna work here due to high salaries and tuition they spend at uni. I just mention this point in case we don't get any jobs here or we may change our minds. And if we don't get internships after graduating med course, there is no chances of getting jobs here

longbow

Another point is that it is apparently POSSIBLE for many foreign students to get into a med course in Aus. In the US, they do not have undergraduate med and according to what I have heard, international students are allowed to apply for postgrad med only if they have a bachelor degree from an American or Canadian university. It is very costly as well.

Even with a US bachelors, entrance into an American medical course as a foreigner is very, very difficult. In 2009, about 50 unis held medicine open for international students (from a country with ~4000 universities, keep in mind. I don't know how many had medicine available, but likely far greater than 50.) and even in those, it was rare.

SLR

Its reasonable after I read earlier posts that local people have to pay taxes. We don't pay taxes though.
My family isn't really wealthy, thats why I can't really afford to study med undergrad.

2. Yeah, probably you just stay here > 3 months and don't go out a lot and your classmates are nice people
Actually in Australia, most of people are really friendly.

3. Even though postition > 25, its ranking still much much much higher than most of Asian uni
I haven't started uni either LOL but when I study high school in here, I feel its totally different.

4. Of course you need to be independent sooner or later, but the first time we leave our home country and go to other place alone, is it better to know at least someone there? Anyway, its just one reason. I don't have any relatives here either

6. Its easy for some people and hard for some. Depends though, sometimes getting visa is like luck. My friend didn't get visa to study in USA, ended up studying in England

7. It doesn't mean they don't accept Australian uni degrees. Just because I study in English and lots of terminology I have no idea what they mean in my native language. If we go back our home country, they still accept the degrees but its hard for us at the beginning as we learn everything in other language.

8. I think most of international students wanna work here due to high salaries and tuition they spend at uni. I just mention this point in case we don't get any jobs here or we may change our minds. And if we don't get internships after graduating med course, there is no chances of getting jobs here

Points noted. Thank you very much for your replies in this thread, it is most appreciated!

Another point is that it is apparently POSSIBLE for many foreign students to get into a med course in Aus. In the US, they do not have undergraduate med and according to what I have heard, international students are allowed to apply for postgrad med only if they have a bachelor degree from an American or Canadian university. It is very costly as well.

Even with a US bachelors, entrance into an American medical course as a foreigner is very, very difficult. In 2009, about 50 unis held medicine open for international students (from a country with ~4000 universities, keep in mind. I don't know how many had medicine available, but likely far greater than 50.) and even in those, it was rare.

For medicine, I agree, it is far easier for international students to gain entry. The downside is you're looking at AUD250k for your degree lol. Imagine how many years it would take to earn it back in terms of gross income if you failed to secure a PR in Australia? With the medical student tsunami, it is now more difficult than ever to stay back in Australia and practice.

yayayama

We pay extra fees for two reasons, firstly, we are not aussie tax payers, so the government cannot use the taxpayer's money to pay for our tuition fee. Secondly, the unis need us to pay several thousand extra to finance other aussie students, as a result of this, they lowered admission requirement of most of the courses for international students. I do not mind staying or leaving Australia it would be nice if i could get into a med school here and an internship here as well, but if I cannot, I will just pick up and go back to my home country or seek to work else where. I think the one of the biggest reason why lots of aisan students go to australia instead of UK and America is not oz is closer to Asia and there is a greater asian cultural influence here and UK is more expensive than Australia.

sorry, I am not a Malaysian, so I cannot really see from their point of view.

Im not sure if its the case, cuz for me, studying in AU is actually more expensive than in UK as HKD to AUD ratio id so high now... but going to australia could save me half a year for doing a whole gap year thats why i choose australia medic schools... and yeah~\(≧▽≦)/~ closer to home. and easier to get a lisence bk to my homeland if im studying in au. as hk defi not
recognize america graduates ... so thats why im here

Lion123

Im not sure if its the case, cuz for me, studying in AU is actually more expensive than in UK as HKD to AUD ratio id so high now... but going to australia could save me half a year for doing a whole gap year thats why i choose australia medic schools... and yeah~\(≧▽≦)/~ closer to home. and easier to get a lisence bk to my homeland if im studying in au. as hk defi not
recognize america graduates ... so thats why im here

Can you get a guaranteed internship in Hong Kong? If not so, you could not register to practice medicine in hk.