Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Advice Request: Academic Results

jiniaaa

Lurker
Hi everyone, I'm a 1st year medical science student in UWA and I've been quite concerned about my marks. I'm in the direct pathway into med but my marks have been quite sad. Last semester i only got 3 distinctions and 1 pass, and this semester I got a 22/30 for my mid sem where the average was around 25/30. I'm a whole 10% below the average and I feel very down about this. I was wondering if this is a very bad sign or not, also any tips about ways to improve?
Thank you

chinaski

To put it in another perspective, you're passing university courses, which is a level of education that a great deal of people never reach in the first place. A lot of new uni students struggle with the adjustment to university study, which is fundamentally different in approach and expectations compared to high school - and for high achievers, this can be the first time you've ever been "average" at something. Your tutors and lecturers would be good people to approach as a first step; they may be able to provide insight into where you are struggling and what you might do to address your weaknesses (be it study strategy or grasping new concepts, or both).

As a fellow UWA direct pathway med-sci first year, as much as I'd like to say that it'll all be OK, 3 Ds and one P would leave you on a 5.5 GPA exactly right now. Considering the med sci units get much harder next year from what I've heard (from second years and from a conversation with Rob White as well), this is concerning given that you need a 5.5 GPA minumum at the end of third year to proceed to postgrad med.

Having said that, to get a direct pathway is quite difficult so I'm sure you have the capacity to keep up the average. And it's not like the rest of us are finding the units easy - there was a LOT to remember for that IMED1003 test (and don't even get me started on vitamins!!).

Remember that med sci is only half your units so it's only half the battle. If you're planning on doing a second major, maybe this is not for you - try and choose really easy electives and broadenings to boost your GPA and allow you to focus on med sci.

Most importantly, you should absolutely talk to the health and medical sciences student office now so that you can get the help you need to maintain that 5.5 GPA before things get really tough next year.

All the best fellow soldier :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads